Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

murpho999 wrote: »
    Lizzie is running on Auto pilot now..... she stares at floor and then sticks hand out and smiles every 30 seconds! Bored to death!

I'm not sure. She seems to be enjoying her time in Ireland. Bertie Ahern was on Sky News this afternoon saying how he sat next to the Queen during at lunch a Buckingham Palace in 1998, just after the signing of the Good Friday Agreement, and the Queen told him that she would like to visit Ireland. Now she has her wish granted.

She also seemed interested when Mary McAleese was explaining the rules of Gaelic football to her- a sport alien to the British - when meeting players at Croke Park

The Queen was heard live on BBC News 24 asking one of the players how long he had been playing the sport and he said since he was six years old. She seemed genuinely interesting in the places she was visiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

ppink wrote: »
    I was thinking that when I was watching Christy Cooney? guiding the Queen by her elbow today in Croagh Park!

i also thought that shoulderless outfits were not respectful....I think they said that at the wedding?

It wasn't Christy Cooney as he knew how to behave but some ex.GAA head bod that held her elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

BBC presenter gave a fine background to Dublin's British history :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Feck that the traffic cameras are down, was hoping to see some scobes getting their skulls cracked on the Dublin Traffic cams site :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

mike65 wrote: »
    Well spotted, and thats my point. Shouldn't SF have taken a lead rather leave it to the skanger element? Or are SF now too far away from the "trackie" elements to protest with any street credibility while not being close enough to mainstream politics to participate?

Paul Reynolds, the RTÉ reporter, was on Morning Ireland this morning and anybody familiar with his reports could not claim him as being pro Sinn Féin. He's very much pro "the Guards" as he refers to them, or "the Gardaí" as he equally incorrectly refers to the Garda.

Anyway, Reynolds never once mentioned Sinn Féin as being responsible for the protests and went further: Éirigí had stewards policing its protest and it was only people who arrived later who were responsible for rioting: he especially mentioned that the people who were responsible for the rioting were people well-known to the Garda for their involvement in drug dealing and the like.

Reynolds report can be listened to here

Now, either Reynolds is lying or people here are deliberately trying to tarnish Sinn Féin and Éirigí with rioting that they have no responsibility for. Which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

jos28 wrote: »
    It's a form of torture to make an 85 year old woman stand for so long and for no real reason. She is hardly going to remember meeting these people.

Yeah it's a joke. The poor woman looks painfully fed up.. and for what, to stroke the egos of the other guests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

My invite must have gotten lost in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Now I know why she's wearing gloves. I wouldn't want to be shaking hands with all them knackers coming in for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jaysus, put them away Joan :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Yeah it's a joke. The poor woman looks painfully fed up.. and for what, to stroke the egos of the other guests

Another reason why "service-till-death" royalty, like "service-till-death" papacy, is irrational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Who was that that grabbed philips arm? The stare he gave him..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

William Haye touched the queens arm and Mary Mac pulled his arm away :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The pageantry and expense involved with things like this is pretty sickening.

Let the woman rest for Christ sake. She'll keel over before the night is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Batsy wrote: »
    I'm not sure. She seems to be enjoying her time in Ireland. Bertie Ahern was on Sky News this afternoon saying how he sat next to the Queen during at lunch a Buckingham Palace in 1998, just after the signing of the Good Friday Agreement, and the Queen told him that she would like to visit Ireland. Now she has her wish granted.

She also seemed interested when Mary McAleese was explaining the rules of Gaelic football to her- a sport alien to the British - when meeting players at Croke Park

The Queen was heard live on BBC News 24 asking one of the players how long he had been playing the sport and he said since he was six years old. She seemed genuinely interesting in the places she was visiting.

I think she is enjoying the trip but does she's had more state banquets that hot dinners (if you know what I mean) and they must be a pain in the arse for her......and all that hand shaking.

She is definitely a pro at it but it must get very boring after a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭killerhitman

there are a few UAVs and garda helicoptors flying around where i live beside the phoniex park now because of the queens visit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

we assume your one that did the little curtsy to the queen is English.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

What would make you happy a curry chips and kebab in Zaytoons instead?

Look how quickly the Queen's smile appears and fades! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

jaysus the spuds will be getting cold. Did Iris Robinson make an appearance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Wish we could fast forward this bit. SO Boring...........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

What are you on about....people standing in line is costing nothing......the building has been there for hundreds of years and is not just pit up for the night.
    Cost is security and dinner and that is more than paid for by free publicity for Ireland.

This is no different than what would happen if any other head of state visited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

baldbear wrote: »

...they're just clearing out the young fellahs before she arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

ffs I'm getting tired sitting here watching it, poor woman I feel sorry for her.

Why the hell would anyone want to shake all those hands, god damn it. This is torture. :eek:

jos28 wrote: »
    Wish we could fast forward this bit. SO Boring...........

I'd say the Queen would agree with you!

This is bordering on elder abuse!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Does all this hand-shaking and ego-stroking really need to be broadcast live on tv? Couldn't they just show her speech? That's all anyone wants to see I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Dionysus wrote: »
    Another reason why "service-till-death" royalty, like "service-till-death" papacy, is irrational.

It's what sets the British monarchy apart from other monarchies - abdication is considered poor form and diminishes the status of the position. Once you head down that road you might as well elect the monarch.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's actually difficult to watch at this stage. I'd be embarrassed shaking her hand seeing how uncomfortable she looks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

baldbear wrote: »

Not yet, but I heard her husband on the radio today saying they were looking forward to going.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement