Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Great to be here to witness such a historical occasion. Only wish my old Republican Dad was here to share it :(
    I can remember when he used to refuse English money in his change because it had the Queen's face on it. Wonder what he would make of today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Wow! I didn''t expect to ever see that in my lifetime!

Should have got the wimmins to sort it out years ago! :D

Excellent speeches from both President McAleese and the Queen..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

And, with that, the dissident republicans and the rest of their like slip further into irrelevancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I have to say I have found the events of the last two days to be quite moving. Im glad I saw it in my lifetime.
    foxinsox;72295613]Wow! I didn''t expect to ever see that in my lifetime!

Should have got the wimmins to sort it out years ago! :D

Excellent speeches from both President McAleese and the Queen.

Hear Hear ...think it will sink in even more over the coming weeks months and years ahead and on par with Kennedys vist to Ireland in 63 ,if for different reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Brother Psychosis

did anyone see who was in between enda and martin mac at the top table, couldnt make it out....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Nice one Lizzie, a contrite and humble speech, never thought I hear some of them words. Missed Marys speech will Google it now. On behalf of the people of Ireland, I apologise for Biffo's wife falling asleep on camera.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

gambiaman wrote: »
    Mcaleese saying 'wow' when Elizabeth spoke Irish...

Not really that unusual.

Any state visit she'd do a few words in whatever language is required, of course the more common European ones she'd be fluent in anyway. Wouldn't be tricky to practice a few lines of "Hi, thanks for having me" in whatever lingo you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

will anyone change their minds about the queens visit and think it is a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I watched the football. Anyone sum the speach up for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Aldebaran wrote: »
    And, with that, the dissident republicans and the rest of their like slip further into irrelevancy.

Can we stop calling them dissident republicans now?! They're scumbag criminals and nothing else =p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

The Queen says a cúpla focal!

I'd say the anti-Irish brigade here on Boards are fuming right now about the use of the Irish language during this ceremony.

Indeed I for one am indignant due to the fact that the Queen's cupla focal clearly and irrefutably shows that compulsory Irish is the right idea after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Unfortunately trending no 1 on Twitter for #queensvisit is news of rioting.

queen spoke irish very well in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

gambiaman wrote: »
    Fair City is late

hehe. That's the spirit. I'm still looking for my toll refund having been forced to use the M50 when they closed off the Phoenix Park yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

robinph wrote: »
    Not really that unusual.

Any state visit she'd do a few words in whatever language is required, of course the more common European ones she'd be fluent in anyway. Wouldn't be tricky to practice a few lines of "Hi, thanks for having me" in whatever lingo you need.

I know, I thought it was a bit wtf when McAleese said wow though!

Two good speeches - now hope she gets a chance to enjoy the next two days without all that horrible handshaking mullarkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Do you reckon she had a clue what Mary was going on about when she threw in the Fr. Ted reference?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Would everyone please slow down and post less? I am having trouble figuring out who to ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Jesus, I can't believe she said what she said. No way could she apologise, against protocol, but she came as near as damnit. Fair play to her, never been a fan, and I know she didn't write the speech, but they've really tried to move things on with this visit. I'm gobsmacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

They went along the lines of, eff off living in the past and get on with the future as the past should not prevent our friendship growing in the future.

Time to switch channel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Can we stop calling them dissident republicans now?! They're scumbag criminals and nothing else =p

Yes, agreed, but I wasn't sure you'd know who I was talking about if I said 'scumbag criminals', there's so many different types of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Not really that unusual.

Probably has more to do with the fact the British didn't try and make any other European language extinct. So HRH speaking Irish is quite significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

both speeches were excellent. in fairness quennie acknowledged the past wrongs. will that be enough for the gob****es out on the street? they cant even speak english, never mind cupla focal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Not really that unusual.

Woosh, it's the Queen (THE QUEEN) speaking Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Jaysus, RTE couldn't cut away quick enough from Dublin Castle, what are we paying our licence for, I have to watch continued coverage on a bloody foreign channel ahem, peace, love and reconciliation.

Would everyone please slow down and post less? I am having trouble figuring out who to ban.

keep up ffs, the queen had to learn Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

Watching the football missed the speech. Did she say sorry or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Liz spoke better Irish then the knuckledraggers who are out fighting Gardai and vandalising their own city probably ever did.

Fair play to her and to McAleese,a hugely proud day for Ireland and England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

hondasam wrote: »
    will anyone change their minds about the queens visit and think it is a good idea?

I didn't really have that much of an opinion on the Queen or the visit to be honest, until I saw that speech. I only switched it on by accident, but I'm glad I did - I now have a real respect for the lady.

A true historic moment in the story of our two nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Anyone sum the speach up for me?

I could, if I knew what "speach" is. Surely you're not the product of a fee-paying school education, super_furry?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement