Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I heard some northern commentator earlier on saying some of unionists were worried that the visit was going so well. They think the Brits are trying to butter everyone up for reunification ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can we stop calling them dissident republicans now?! They're scumbag criminals and nothing else =p

Expect something noisy from these fools soon. They cannot be seen to be out-done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Do you reckon she had a clue what Mary was going on about when she threw in the Fr. Ted reference?
    I recall reading about some ambassador or something who was invited to a private dinner with Liz and Phil. Apparently they finished early as Morecambe and Wise were on TV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Probably has more to do with the fact the British didn't try and make any other European language extinct. So HRH speaking Irish is quite significant.

Dunno, they probably wouldn't mind if French didn't exist. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Where those words worth 30 million?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Laura m

Excellent speech from the Queen. Very eloquent.

Great to hear her address every issue & not skirt around any issues too. I'm sure the idiotic head-in-the-sand, so called "Nationalists" will pick holes in it, but fuck 'em - this speech has made the Queen's visit more than a symbolic thing. It has concreted the very real ties between us & our closest neighbours.

Fair play.

Definitely agree.

Also the queen speaking Irish shows the great lengths of respect she has for this country and you could see by Mary Mcaleese's reaction she was taken back by it

Since the queen arrived I actually don't think I've ever felt more proud to be Irish. It really is the start of this country moving forward and letting go of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder if Bertie was upset when he found out that his cutlery had been chained to the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Plazaman wrote: »
    Jaysus, RTE couldn't cut away quick enough from Dublin Castle, what are we paying our licence for, I have to watch continued coverage on a bloody foreign channel ahem, peace, love and reconciliation.

I know...it's ridiculous...they've been banging on about historical it is and then switch off for bloody Fair City.....now I have to watch analysis on Sky!

RTE really annoy me at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Onwards and Upwards now,anyone who wants live in the past,let them

• Advertisement

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

broken-record.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I wonder if Bertie was upset when he found out that his cutlery had been chained to the table?
    Sure he'd just nick the table!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Were those words worth 30 million?

You tell us Wolfe Tone you tell us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I didn't really have that much of an opinion on the Queen or the visit to be honest, until I saw that speech. I only switched it on by accident, but I'm glad I did - I now have a real respect for the lady.

A true historic moment in the story of our two nations.

I'm not a royalist but I think she is a remarkable woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

You're yesterday's man Wolfey. Youre the spectre at the feast and nobody's listening to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is that all you can bang on about? Where they worth thousands of lives?

Are you Joe Higgins?

Would you prefer to save 30 million and have her killed here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Jesus. Braga really should have scored there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

I ask again did the queen say sorry for the wrong doings of the past or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Yes.

/Rhetorical Fail

mike65 wrote: »
    You tell us Wolfe Tone you tell us!
    My stream crashed just after she started. Im waiting for a transcript to appear

• Advertisement

Go find the speech online and listen to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Peanut wrote: »
    Indeed I for one am indignant due to the fact that the Queen's cupla focal clearly and irrefutably shows that compulsory Irish is the right idea after all.

Voice your disdain here and here. Don't try and derail this thread into an Irish-bashing debate. Thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

They were worth much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Yes, without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

No but 'll give you €100 to spell 'were' correctly just once.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Here you go:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/Speechesandarticles/2011/TheQueensspeechattheIrishStateDinner18May2011.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

sorry is just a word. Let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

she came as close as she possibly could. it was an excellent speech. fair play to her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement