Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Where those words worth 30 million?

30 million quid?

Without a shadow of a doubt, yes. Even if there is no financial comeback from this visit - and I'm sure there will be - it was 30 million well spent.

Some things, you just cannot put a monetary value on & that was one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

To be fair, a lot of it is going on Garda overtime so most will be spent in Copper Face Jacks over the next couple of nights so at least it'll create a bit commerce which can only be good for the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

TBH, yes.
    I think the visit is important, after initially being against it if only for the cost/security etc
    A lot of taboos broken in two days IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

hondasam wrote: »
    sorry is just a word. Let it go.
    Excuse me. Let what go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

ISDW wrote: »
    Jesus, I can't believe she said what she said. No way could she apologise, against protocol, but she came as near as damnit. Fair play to her, never been a fan, and I know she didn't write the speech, but they've really tried to move things on with this visit. I'm gobsmacked.

Gobsmacked is exactly the word I was looking for..

Probably to some younger posters it might seem a bit silly, but I honestly never thought this would happen.

Like someone else said I wouldn't really be bothered one way or another by her visit, but what I heard in both those speechs had made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! :o

I hope this may put an end now to the pointless violence and hopefully give us a lasting peace.

^^ God that is so not suitable for After Hours... :o

*gets me coat*

*leaves feeling all emotional*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I ask again did the queen say sorry for the wrong doings of the past or not?

Ye she said Bertie was a woeful bollocks.

See Ye wrote: »
    But wasn't he the lad who coined the phrase "Being born in a stable doesn't make you a horse" or somesuch ? He didn't consider himself Irish hence the cringe.

no actually he didnt say that or anything like it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My stream crashed just after she started. Im waiting for a transcript to appear

You missed the bit where she said "Sorry Wolfe, it weren't me wot dun it, but I'm sorry anyway."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

She did not address a single thing. A history which was 'not always benign', and things that 'could have been done differently or not at all', those were the substantive lines of her speech and pretty underwhelming in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ye she said Bertie was a woeful bollocks.

Dont forget his sidekick biffo :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Originally Posted by Wolfe Tone View Post
    Not just mere words ... the foundations blocks of any building are most important of all

/sips more wine

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Worth far, far more.

Wasn't it Shaw that said "some people know the price of everything, the value of nothing".

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Excuse me. Let what go?

The murder, rape and slavery.

Sure tis grand. Forget the plight of those who went before. It'll make us better people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Did anyone else see Gerry Adams being dragged away by security from his table as he was shouting, "Who are ya? Who are ya?" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

The Queen wrote:
    Madam President, speaking here in Dublin Castle it is impossible to ignore the weight of history, as it was yesterday when you and I laid wreaths at the Garden of Remembrance.

Indeed, so much of this visit reminds us of the complexity of our history, its many layers and traditions, but also the importance of forbearance and conciliation. Of being able to bow to the past, but not be bound by it.

Of course, the relationship has not always been straightforward; nor has the record over the centuries been entirely benign. It is a sad and regrettable reality that through history our islands have experienced more than their fair share of heartache, turbulence and loss.

These events have touched us all, many of us personally, and are a painful legacy. We can never forget those who have died or been injured, and their families. To all those who have suffered as a consequence of our troubled past I extend my sincere thoughts and deep sympathy. With the benefit of historical hindsight we can all see things which we would wish had been done differently or not at all. But it is also true that no-one who looked to the future over the past centuries could have imagined the strength of the bonds that are now in place between the governments and the people of our two nations, the spirit of partnership that we now enjoy, and the lasting rapport between us. No-one here this evening could doubt that heartfelt desire of our two nations.

I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Did anyone else see Gerry Adams being dragged away by security from his table as he was shouting, "Who are ya? Who are ya?" ?

With his celtic scarf trying to cover his face, sneaky ole Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Do you reckon she had a clue what Mary was going on about when she threw in the Fr. Ted reference?

What reference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Very good speech by McAleese. The Queen's wasn't too bad either. Good to see Cameron & Donaldson there.

Very symbolic visit so far by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

So now that we are all "mature" and have "moved on" what exactly changes other than our bank balance going further into the red?

And is "A Uachtaráin agus a chairde" all she said as gaeilge? From reading in this thread you'd swear she sang Amhrán na bhFiann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

foxinsox wrote: »
    Gobsmacked is exactly the word I was looking for..

Probably to some younger posters it might seem a bit silly, but I honestly never thought this would happen.

Like someone else said I wouldn't really be bothered one way or another by her visit, but what I heard in both those speechs had made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! :o

I hope this may put an end now to the pointless violence and hopefully give us a lasting peace.

^^ God that is so not suitable for After Hours... :o

*gets me coat*

*leaves feeling all emotional*

would that be the Drink :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Brother Psychosis

she said as much as she was ever going to say, with the British gov looking over her shoulder, but it still went a long way, big step in the right direction.

can anyone tell me who was at top table?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Read the speech there,
    With the benefit of historical hindsight we can all see things which we would wish had been done differently or not at all.

Thats as close as she came.

Didnt go as far as I hoped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

tbh wrote: »
    Fantastic speech by our president. Really and truly fantastic.*

What did you think of the speech Teebs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Smyth wrote: »
    The murder, rape and slavery.

Sure tis grand. Forget the plight of those who went before. It'll make us better people.

Who is saying that you have to forget? No-one. Not a single person. Not Mary McAlesses, Queen Elizabeth, or anyone on boards. There is a difference between 'forgetting' and 'moving on'. Laying a wreath at the Garden of Remembrance doesnt seem to me like 'forgetting'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Voice your disdain here and here. Don't try and derail this thread into an Irish-bashing debate. Thank you :)

I think it can survive both of our derailments :cool:

On topic, I actually thought it was nice to hear it, but I don't think it really says anything about the language as such, it's just a diplomatic gesture that shows that she made a personal effort to connect with the host country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Azhrei wrote: »
    What reference?

The one to Father Ted:

http://president.ie/index.php?section=5&speech=967&lang=eng

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really wish people would stop going on about the money. There won't be a whisper about security costs when Obama is here next week.

Tonight was truly historic.

An excellent speech by Pres McAleese who has done huge amounts of work for the peace process.

Also an excellent speech by the Queen, who came as close to an apology as she could go.

Funny and great that she spoke some Irish. Fair play to her.

Tonight is a night that i never thought I would see happening and it's a kick in the teeth for 'dissdents (criminals) who want troubles to continue.

This marks the end of bad relations between Britain and Ireland and hopefully we'll be good neighbours. Still hope they never win the World Cup though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

For people who want to move forward, they were more than worth €30m.

Hopefully we can put the people who don't want to move forward into storage with all those e-voting machines that we never got to use, which cost quite a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Morlar wrote: »
    She did not address a single thing. A history which was 'not always benign', and things that 'could have been done differently or not at all', those were the substantive lines of her speech and pretty underwhelming in fairness.

For real? "could have been done differently or not at all". The "not at all" part was saying that Ireland should always have been a sovereign country. It was a classy, understated way of expressing her sentiment and how not to upset unionists.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

So now that we are all "mature" and have "moved on" what exactly changes other than our bank balance going further into the red?

Well if we can pay our bills with miserable, bitter begrudgery then your post will be very useful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement