Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

weiland79 wrote: »
    Great speech!

Are we still allowed to hate them when we play them in rugby or football?

Yes. That's not just allowed - it's obligatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

why are people going through quennies speech with a fine tooth comb? she acknowledged the past, she came as close as she could to saying sorry. her words were worth way more than 30 million. can sombody just ban them from this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

weiland79 wrote: »
    Great speech!

Are we still allowed to hate them when we play them in rugby or football?

Oh of course. Wonder if anyone mentioned the first rugby match to her today at Croke Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

A great and proud moment in our history, and god knows we haven't had much of them lately. Sad to see some people are so bitter about it.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Where those words worth 30 million?

by marginalising physical force republicanism more and thus saving lives, then yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

And is "A Uachtaráin agus a chairde" all she said as gaeilge? From reading in this thread you'd swear she sang Amhrán na bhFiann.

It's the Queen of England, speaking Irish. At a public address given at a banquet in Ireland. If you can't see the historical significance of that, then you're blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

So now that we are all "mature" and have "moved on" what exactly changes other than our bank balance going further into the red?

I don't know if you've noticed, but this is international news. Almost every paper that I've picked up all week has had something about the Eurovision and the Queen. Across Europe tonight, people are watching the Europa League final which is taking place in Dublin. Next week Americans will see footage of Obama in Ireland. Positive news promotes Ireland as a tourist destination.

I've met quite a few people over the course of the last week who are planning their holidays in Ireland this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

A good thing overall in my opinion.

Although driving out of town at 6pm this evening was a fúckin joke! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Only when your President apologises for the murder, rape and enslavement of British people of Wales and the South West of England around 1400 years ago :pac:
    Jasus the Celts Normans Vikings ...forgot all about them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Wouldn't it have been great during the introductions if someone like Huggy Bear was in the line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Laura m wrote: »
    Also the queen speaking Irish shows the great lengths of respect she has for this country

Not necessarily. As the more historically aware posters will know, her sixteenth-century namesake also made the effort to learn Irish... while hiring people such as Humphrey Gilbert, Richard Bingham and Walter Devereux to ethnically cleanse the Irish in numbers, and an extraordinary savagery, unknown to most Irish people.

Here are some of her Irish lessons, as given by Christopher Nugent, fourteenth baron of Delvin, in 1583.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Just read through the speech. Impressive enough although an apology would have been nice and also warranted. Oh well.
    That would pretty much be my attitude too

why are people going through quennies speech with a fine tooth comb? she acknowledged the past, she came as close as she could to saying sorry. her words were worth way more than 30 million. can sombody just ban them from this thread.

You can't ban people who disagree with you. That'd be like banning a foreign dignitary from visiting your country because you don't like them.

And that - as we all know - would be highly ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

Did anyone else see Gerry Adams being dragged away by security from his table as he was shouting, "Who are ya? Who are ya?" ?
    Not funny in the slightest tbh. Good effort mind.

by marginalising physical force republicanism more and thus saving lives, then yes
    Cop on. This visit has unified them more than anything that has happened in a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Also should have added that what the Queen did tonight and is doing over the next few days is not something you can put a price on.

10, 20 years ago for her to even set foot on Irish soil would have been impossible, now look at where we are.

Some things cannot be measured in monatery terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Morlar wrote: »
    So to recap, the record of the forces of the crown in Ireland, (including the black and tans, auxilliaries all the way back through our history up to the RUC/UDR etc) was . . . . . .'not always benign'.

Excuse me but that is a no way to address the history of this country at the hands of britain.

'Not always benign'. FFs.

Keep on hating and living in the past. You are history and the people who embrace this visit and the sentiment expressed by our President and The Queen of England shall construct the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Bertie's footprints in the mash?

Oh, I forgot, he's careful not leave a trail behind (other than a general trail of destruction, that is)

The prat should be in jail, not dining with dignitaries!

HA HA

Footprints in the mash sounds like his autobigraphy! Yea true though hes a common thief with a ego you could bring home to the mother in law!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Whats the alternative? Carry it around for another generation? where to stop.

You keep it with you to remember where you came from. To remember those who gave their lives so we could live free. I'm not saying to keep a boiling hatred for the British, but to forget it an move on as everyone on this board keeps protesting, is an insult to our forefathers.

Forget the holocaust. Move on. Forget Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Move on. Forget 9/11. Move on.

Frankly the general message on this board is depressing. I've popped in from time to time to have a look and It makes me ashamed that I have to call some of you people fellow Irishmen.

Most of you are so obsessed with shaking off this image of yourselves as Mick from the bog who hates the British, that you're willing to evaporate the memory of the brave who've gone before.

She was the reigning monarch of a country that murdered innocent civilians. Her Majesty's Armed Service. She is a criminal in my mind and not deserving of a 30million welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

You know, the irony here is that the real Wolfe Tone (you know the Protestant Unite Irishman) would have most likely cheered the Queen coming to an independent Irish Republic as a guest of the democratically elected President.

• Advertisement

Not funny in the slightest tbh. Good effort mind.

Sounds like my school reports.. "Good effort, but must try harder".

Aldebaran wrote: »
    A great and proud moment in our history, and god knows we haven't had much of them lately. Sad to see some people are so bitter about it.

Nicely put. I think the visit is going brilliantly. I was delighted with both womens speeches tonight. Made me very happy I got to see it in my lifetime.

As for the britloving comment earlier, I am a proud brit lover. My son lives over there, works with Brits, plays with Brits, plays in a Brit band, Has a Brit girlfriend. They are decent people, why shouldnt we be fond of them?.

Smyth wrote: »
    You keep it with you to remember where you came from. To remember those who gave their lives so we could live free. I'm not saying to keep a boiling hatred for the British, but to forget it an move on as everyone on this board keeps protesting, is an insult to our forefathers.

Forget the holocaust. Move on. Forget Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Move on. Forget 9/11. Move on.

Frankly the general message on this board is depressing. I've popped in from time to time to have a look and It makes me ashamed that I have to call some of you people fellow Irishmen.

Most of you are so obsessed with shaking of this image of yourselves as Mick from the bog who hates the British, that you're willing to evaporate the memory of the brave who've gone before.

She was the reigning monarch of a country that murdered innocent civilians. Her Majesty's Armed Service. She is a criminal in my mind and not deserving of a 30million welcome.

Do you only post on Boards, coz in real life no-one will listen to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

murpho999 wrote: »
    The Queen laid a wreath in honour of Irish rebels. What more do you want?

That is customery for most official visits to this State from other nations.

telekon wrote: »
    You know, the irony here is that the real Wolfe Tone (you know the Protestant Unite Irishman) would have most likely cheered the Queen coming to an independent Irish Republic as a guest of the democratically elected President.
    I would cheer the queen coming too if we had an Independent Irish republic like WT wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

I am a proud Irishman. My family has republican/nationalist links stemming from colonisation to the recent past.

Those speeches were absolutely fantastic, and history-defining. David Cameron and the British Queen have been thoroughly respectful, and courteous in their visits.

In the past year, David Cameron has apologised for Bloody Sunday. Yesterday the Queen laid a wreath at the Garden of Remembrance of the Irish 'rebels' (HEROS!) who fought against crown rule. She visited Croke Park to acknowledge the past, not to shy away from it. She honoured the Irish people who fought in World War I. She attempted to speak a sentence in our native language.

I am glad that those morons aren't allowed within a mile of any of the events. They are only serving to portray themselves as idiots.

I have researched my culture, my political viewpoints, and my family history. I know what I believe in, and I do have nationalism in my blood. However, this has been a historic visit, and one which so far has made me proud to be an Irishman. I hope it leads to further co-operation between our two countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Queen visits dublin, tells Irish that the record of britain in Ireland was . . .

'not always benign'

Yeah, thanks for that never would have guessed.
    &

'things could have been done differently or not at all'

In terms of an expression of regret or sorrow for the suffering inflicted by the forces of the crown in Ireland throughout Irish history that does not go very far in my view.

Cameron nailed it with his unequivocal apology for bloody sunday, tonight was a missed opportunity. This trip will be remembered for the 'nod of acknowledgment' and the 'not always benign' line. Also the cost and the atmosphere of a vacuum this visit took place in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

Jake1 wrote: »
    Nicely put. I think the visit is going brilliantly. I was delighted with both womens speeches tonight. Made me very happy I got to see it in my lifetime.

As for the britloving comment earlier, I am a proud brit lover. My son lives over there, works with Brits, plays with Brits, plays in a Brit band, Has a Brit girlfriend. They are decent people, why shouldnt we be fond of them?.
    They gave us X-Factor reason enough i think.:pac:

Cop on. This visit has unified them more than anything that has happened in a decade.

how about you cop on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I would cheer the queen coming too if we had an Independent Irish republic like WT wanted.

Face it, the majority of the north do not want to be part of a united Ireland. Hell, do the majority of the south want a united Ireland anymore? Who the hell knows?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement