Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was surprised to hear on RTE earlier, Gerry Adams talking about "The English Queen", instead of "Mrs Windsor". He must be getting diplomatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I'm not a monarchist, or particularly patriotic. But, I'm actually rather proud to English and living in Ireland, at this time. My hopes for a brighter future between the two nations have never been higher, than at this time.
    Ofcourse the begrudgers will still be there. The Dissidents will still be there, and all the rest of it. But, as I said in an earlier post, these are all stepping stones. This stepping stone is a little more significant than some. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

Smyth wrote: »
    You keep it with you to remember where you came from. To remember those who gave their lives so we could live free. I'm not saying to keep a boiling hatred for the British, but to forget it an move on as everyone on this board keeps protesting, is an insult to our forefathers.

Forget the holocaust. Move on. Forget Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Move on. Forget 9/11. Move on.

Frankly the general message on this board is depressing. I've popped in from time to time to have a look and It makes me ashamed that I have to call some of you people fellow Irishmen.

Most of you are so obsessed with shaking off this image of yourselves as Mick from the bog who hates the British, that you're willing to evaporate the memory of the brave who've gone before.

She was the reigning monarch of a country that murdered innocent civilians. Her Majesty's Armed Service. She is a criminal in my mind and not deserving of a 30million welcome.

nobody has forgotton the holocaust, 9/11 etc. there are memorials/ commemorations/ flag days etc every year to remember these. same in ireland, every year. NOBODY FORGETS BUT WE DO MOVE ON.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Cop on. This visit has unified them more than anything that has happened in a decade.

I noticed the new uniform alright! Tracksuit, uk soccer jersey and a box of matches to light the nearest bin and a few bangers. A far cry from the men of 1916.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Cool_CM wrote: »
    I don't know if you've noticed, but this is international news. Almost every paper that I've picked up all week has had something about the Eurovision and the Queen. Across Europe tonight, people are watching the Europa League final which is taking place in Dublin. Next week Americans will see footage of Obama in Ireland. Positive news promotes Ireland as a tourist destination.

I've met quite a few people over the course of the last week who are planning their holidays in Ireland this summer.

Well put. I'll speak for everyone, both sides of the fence, when I state Ireland is fecking great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

You keep it with you to remember where you came from. To remember those who gave their lives so we could live free. I'm not saying to keep a boiling hatred for the British, but to forget it an move on as everyone on this board keeps protesting, is an insult to our forefathers.

Forget the holocaust. Move on. Forget Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Move on. Forget 9/11. Move on.

Frankly the general message on this board is depressing. I've popped in from time to time to have a look and It makes me ashamed that I have to call some of you people fellow Irishmen.

Most of you are so obsessed with shaking off this image of yourselves as Mick from the bog who hates the British, that you're willing to evaporate the memory of the brave who've gone before.

She was the reigning monarch of a country that murdered innocent civilians. Her Majesty's Armed Service. She is a criminal in my mind and not deserving of a 30million welcome.

Well put. As a visitor to our shores next week said not long ago, "When we say we will never forget, we mean what we say".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

how about you cop on
    Both of ye go onto the streets of Dublin and you'll find more then enough "cops" for the pair of ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I was surprised to hear on RTE earlier, Gerry Adams talking about "The English Queen", instead of "Mrs Windsor". He must be getting diplomatic.

The Baron of Northstead must be getting soft in his old age. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

nobody has forgotton the holocaust, 9/11 etc. there are memorials/ commemorations/ flag days etc every year to remember these. same in ireland, every year. NOBODY FORGETS BUT WE DO MOVE ON.
    Ah yes... I remember when Germany apologized to the jews for the holocaust by saying "relations were not always benign"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ah yes... I remember when Germany apologized to the jews for the holocaust by saying "relations were not always benign"

FFS you have just pulled the Godwin moment of the thread out of your arse!

• Advertisement

Bosco boy wrote: »
    I noticed the new uniform alright! Tracksuit, uk soccer jersey and a box of matches to light the nearest bin and a few bangers. A far cry from the men of 1916.
    I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Also should have added that what the Queen did tonight and is doing over the next few days is not something you can put a price on.

10, 20 years ago for her to even set foot on Irish soil would have been impossible, now look at where we are.

Some things cannot be measured in monatery terms.

Unfortunately, the crushing debt we're now faced with, quite a lot which British banks should be culpable for, can and will be measured in monetary terms. You can be sure David Cameron and the bankers/speculators who have been let off the hook have already measured it.
    People like that are quite good at measuring things in monetary terms; as are the Royal Family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

The thing is though, Jewish people don't tend to hold grudges against the German people and they definitely don't threaten the German state with terrorism, similarly most Japanese people don't maintain a resentment against America and in fact have come to have an affinity for American culture. America does hold grudges and look what happens to them, endless wars and thousands of deaths of their own people, as well as a massive economic cost.

You can carry your history with you, and still move forward, but sometimes you have to let the future take precedence over the past.

As the Queen put it in her speech, it is important 'to bow to the past, but not be bound by it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Do you only post on Boards, coz in real life no-one will listen to you?

What a stimulating reply. Brains to spare this one.

The views of most on this board are in the minority. The views I've expressed have been table talk with most people I've met in the "real world".

But I can tell you like your bandwagoning. Keep on at it.

gandalf wrote: »
    FFS you have just pulled the Godwin moment of the thread out of your arse!
    Did I start the comparisons to the holocaust?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Cop on. This visit has unified them more than anything that has happened in a decade.

Yes marginalisation would tend to make the remaining opponents more unified, but not increase their overall support.

In fact, the most memorable thing about this visit was the lack of significant organised opposition to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

tbh wrote: »
    You're yesterday's man Wolfey. Youre the spectre at the feast and nobody's listening to you.

Lovely. A clearly personal attack. Are bans no longer given out for this sort of thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ascanbe wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the crushing debt we're now faced with, quite a lot which British banks should be culpable for, can and will be measured in monetary terms. You can be sure David Cameron and the bankers/speculators who have been let off the hook have already measured it.
    People like that are quite good at measuring things in monetary terms; as are the Royal Family.

When you owe as many billions as we do, what's another 30 million? It's like me or you owing €100 and borrowing another fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

And it has alienated any normal Irish people who would have been indifferent to the Queen's visit, who might have even nursed a romantic Republican notion or two after a couple of pints. People ambivalent to Republican notions or even somewhat supportive can only be embarrassed and ashamed of these complete fools and scumbags. If those d!cks purporting to further Republican ideas through protest up in Dublin think that their actions would in any way engender support in normal Irish people, then they've got it completely wrong.

I didn't really care about the Queen's visit when I heard about it; was more excited about Obama really and was never a big fan of the Royal family in the first place, but I can recognise history being made when I see it. She is a fantastic woman, and her speech was well-written (not a credit to her really) and beautifully delivered, and what an 85 year old!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

WE SHOULD APOLOGISE TO THE WELSH SO, FOR KIDKNAPPING A BOY FROM HIS FAMILY AND MAKING HIM WATCH SHEEP IN THE MOUNTAINS, WHO LATER BECAME OUR PATRON SAINT.
    I FIND YOU VERY FRUSTRATING, YOUR PICKING AT EVERYTHING.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

I've been switching over tv and radio I'm so uninterested in the whole thing.
    You'd swear it was Adolf Hitler on a state visit to Israel the way some people go on.

But, I gotta say, the woman is in great mental and physical nick for an 85 year old. Just saw her on the news, seems sharp, and the schedule can't be easy.

Respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

The ironic thing about a lot of the nationalist and republican element is that if they were born in the England, they would probably have joined the BNP, protesting againt the n!ggas and de pak!s, (and probably paddys).

There will always be a minority of bitter little people who latch onto causes and make themselves feel stronger and superior by doing so. (Long after what could be viewed as a justifiable reason has been addressed)

It's sad to see so much negativity around what is obviously such an historic visit by the Queen to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Bosco boy wrote: »

At least the men of 1916 knew what they were fighting for. Alot of the ones protesting today and yesterday were just along for a day out.

No but 'll give you €100 to spell 'were' correctly just once.

Er, em. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    Heads of State do not issues appolgies, heads of government do that. So the best one might hope for at the speech tonight is an 'acknowledgment' or reference and that could be used by David Cameron who will be in Dublin today, to make a speech on 800 years in some fashion. We'll see.

I just watched the speech back in full (was looking at the footie first time) and she said more than I thought she might. As I say Heads of State do not issue political appolgies but she got as close as she could have.

It'll never be enough the the "not an inch, no surrender" mob but I feel this visit has cast them a little futher into the outer darkness. Its been a bit of disaster for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

What a stimulating reply. Brains to spare this one.

The views of most on this board are in the minority. The views I've expressed have been table talk with most people I've met in the "real world".

But I can tell you like your bandwagoning. Keep on at it.

Was this at an Eirigi meeting per chance? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

During the past few days Ireland and britian have shown almost unprecedented efforts to establish a future relationship that goes beyond our shared history. Its safe to say a lot of nations can learn from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

The queens visit has been great for this country. I think it's given most of us (well the non retards amoung us) a different perspective on what it is to be "Irish". Too many people define being Irish as being anti British and that is a national embarresment.
    Her speech was great, but she was totally owned by Mary Mc who spoke with such fantastic passion that made me unbelievably proud to be Irish

Some things, you just cannot put a monetary value on & that was one of them.

Right you are there, Mastercard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Dionysus wrote: »
    Lovely. A clearly personal attack. Are bans no longer given out for this sort of thing?

Not for the mods.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement