Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Ah yes... I remember when Germany apologized to the jews for the holocaust by saying "relations were not always benign"

Speaking of Germans, 1.5 million British men and countless thousands more from the empire died as a result of German imperialism. Added to that, multiple towns and cities were bombed to oblivion.

I fail to see similar levels of anti-German sentiment in England nowadays. I think that the relationship between the English and Germans at every level is incredibly stong not even a century since the end of the second world war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

steddyeddy wrote: »
    During the past few days Ireland and britian have shown almost unprecedented efforts to establish a future relationship that goes beyond our shared history. Its safe to say a lot of nations can learn from this.
    No they havent. If they had have Britain would throw open its files and not insist on hiding the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

ragg wrote: »
    The queens visit has been great for this country. I think it's given most of us (well the non retards amoung us) a different perspective on what it is to be "Irish". Too many people define being Irish as being anti British and that is a national embarresment.
    Her speech was great, but she was totally owned by Mary Mc who spoke with such fantastic passion that made me unbelievably proud to be Irish

Very true. Enough to have made me vote for her in 2004...if we ever had gotten the opportunity...and she wasnt FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

When you owe as many billions as we do, what's another 30 million? It's like me or you owing €100 and borrowing another fiver.

I'm referring to the fact that Irish tax-payers will be paying off all the money that British banks used to speculate on our property 'boom', not the cost of this visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

To be fair, a lot of it is going on Garda overtime so most will be spent in Copper Face Jacks over the next couple of nights so at least it'll create a bit commerce which can only be good for the country.

True, but if your house is robbed in the next couple of months and there's not a garda in sight, will you be conscious that this excess will be paid for by a reduced service in the community in the coming months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Erinfan

This visit is a poignant moment of reconciliation and mutual respect.We around the world look carefully.

Speaking of Germans, 1.5 million British men and countless thousands more from the empire died as a result of German imperialism. Added to that, multiple towns and cities were bombed to oblivion.

I fail to see similar levels of anti-German sentiment in England nowadays. I think that the relationship between the English and Germans at every level is incredibly stong not even a century since the end of the second world war
    Maybe if germany had have won and had have occupied 6 of Britain's counties and subjected Brits there to extensive discrimination and hardships the two would be comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

A lot was said about parity of esteem between Nationalists and Unionists in Northern Ireland during the Peace Process. Today was about the parity of esteem between the United Kingdom and Ireland.

Not that the British has not already treated us as equals. They have done so since independence.

No, this was about the growth of confidence and pride in our Irish identity. I'm acutely aware of the use of the word 'maturing' in recent times, and I'm trying to avoid using it for fear of being patronising but it is difficult to speak of the effect of the events today and not use it.

For too long, being Irish has been defined more about what it isn't than what it is. It was not about the Irish language, it was about not speaking English. It wasn't about GAA, it was about not supporting soccer. It wasn't about the quality of our artists, it was about not enjoying English art.

Yet today, the President of an independent Irish Republic stood side by side with the reigning British monarch as equals. She instilled a pride in our country, a pride not just in the independence movement of the 1910s/1920s but a pride in what we've built, in what this country stands for and a pride in how we've overcome the deeply entrenched hatreds that have wounded this country for far too long. Those two incredible women spoke of equality and friendship and of hope for the future. They spoke of what unites us rather than what divides us.

I am not a nationalist. I am not a republican. But today, I am more proud than I have ever been of my country and of my President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Maybe if germany had have won and had have occupied 6 of Britain's counties and subjected Brits there to extensive discrimination and hardships the two would be comparable.

You seem to conveniently forget that the majority of citizens in the North have no wish to be part of an Irish republic, and the majority of citizens in the south have no wish to force them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No they havent. If they had have Britain would throw open its files and not insist on hiding the truth.

Maybe you are right but it would also be nice if the I.R.A. had apologized for the murders of all their victims inc the Disappeared, some of whom have not been found yet. Their families would appreciate it as much as the Dublin/Monaghan families i am sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

Indeed a great day for our nation.:rolleyes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Abi3hgIxtNM

tbh wrote: »
    You seem to conveniently forget that the majority of citizens in the North have no wish to be part of an Irish republic, and the majority of citizens in the south have no wish to force them to be.

And it is also unclear to whether the south would actually vote in favour of being re-unified with the north.

Shes some woman for one woman isnt she? Id be banajxed. She had to stand a lot today I noticed, Id be annoyed if my grandmother was left standing for long periods. But there again, it could well have been at her own request.

I am looking at her with a whole new respect after this.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

lastlaugh wrote: »
    The ironic thing about a lot of the nationalist and republican element is that if they were born in the England, they would probably have joined the BNP, protesting againt the n!ggas and de pak!s, (and probably paddys).

Nope! Surprisingly.

The BNP thinks the Irish are good immigrants. And courts their support. They have no problem with the Irish and I heard they were even trying to get an Irish immigrant to run for parliament for them, to demonstrate they're not against "proper" immigration. Just them filthy ethnics.

Shows how far Ireland and the Irish has come in British society.

Those comments are an embarrassment. Youtube strikes again. Website for neanderthal keyboard warriors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Tbh, the Royals have never been top of my li:(st of idols, but after watching the two of them walk away from a perfectly poured point of Guinness today, they just made top place on my list of enemies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What if you are Irish and black?

/bet they didn't think of that! eh eh?

Maybe you are right but it would also be nice if the I.R.A. had apologized for the murders of all their victims inc the Disappeared, some of whom have not been found yet. Their families would appreciate it as much as the Dublin/Monaghan families i am sure.
    They apologized for all the innocent civilians they killed, more that the BA have done. If you read the thread you will see that I have called for a truth and reconciliation forum where everything can be aired out and the truth can be heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

telekon wrote: »
    Those comments are an embarrassment. Youtube strikes again. Website for neanderthal keyboard warriors.
    Indeed. But the taking of the flag is fine is'nt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

The Queen referenced Mountbatten in that speech - when she was talking about the troubles, she said that the events "touched all of us, many of us personally"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

That English women should shut up, it's not her country in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That was on another thread and got the reaction it deserved. More sensationalist nonsense by another fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

NSNO wrote: »
    A lot was said about parity of esteem between Nationalists and Unionists in Northern Ireland during the Peace Process. Today was about the parity of esteem between the United Kingdom and Ireland.

Not that the British has not already treated us as equals. They have done so since independence.

No, this was about the growth of confidence and pride in our Irish identity.

Nail on the head!! This isn't about England, this is about us being proud of who we are, without having to reference t"The Brits" in the same breath!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

K-9 wrote: »
    Wasn't it Shaw that said "some people know the price of everything, the value of nothing".

Alas, K9! :D. Try Oscar Wilde: 'What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.' (Lady Windermere's Fan, 1892)

First Wellington instead of O'Connell, and now Shaw instead of Wilde. hehe.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Tbh, the Royals have never been top of my li:(st of idols, but after watching the two of them walk away from a perfectly poured point of Guinness today, they just made top place on my list of enemies!

Was surprised by that too but apparently protocol doesnt allow her being filmed eating or drinking. I would imagine promoting a particular alcoholic brand would be a big no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Disgrace if that is true.
    I dont care who's visiting, for a flag to be confiscated is a joke.

That was on another thread and got the reaction it deserved. More sensationalist nonsense by another fool.
    Not a chance of a bit of civility there no?

Indeed. But the taking of the flag is fine is'nt it.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ascanbe wrote: »
    I'm referring to the fact that Irish tax-payers will be paying off all the money that British banks used to speculate on our property 'boom', not the cost of this visit.

So it's not the German banks now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Northern Ireland may have had one party rule (not by the British, but they did little to stop it) but to compare it to rule by the Nazis is just... disgusting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement