Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Disgrace if that is true.
    I dont care who's visiting, for a flag to be confiscated is a joke.
    It's what our country has become. Shameful stuff in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

telekon wrote: »
    Yes.
    Thanks for clearing that up so i know where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

ragg wrote: »
    Nail on the head!! This isn't about England, this is about us being proud of who we are, without having to reference t"The Brits" in the same breath!!

It's a mixture of both, with the mixture reflecting the politics and emotional state of each person. And, on this thread, it's an awful lot of emotionally-driven rent-a-mob posting against dissenting posters like Wolfe Tone. Many of these people have personally insulted him here and to his credit he has refused to rise to the bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

telekon wrote: »
    Was surprised by that too but apparently protocol doesnt allow her being filmed eating or drinking. I would imagine promoting a particular alcoholic brand would be a big no-no.

"I will apologise for the wrongdoings of my nation, but first a word from our sponsors, Dutch Gold......."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    No they havent. If they had have Britain would throw open its files and not insist on hiding the truth.

There is a difference between an apology and acknowledgement and "throwning open its files". David Cameron and the Queen have both done such things recently when in truth they didn't have to. It has been done far more for the Irish state than the British.

You seem satisfied enough in an IRA apology for thge murder of innocent people, as ambiguous and meaningless as it was. Why do apologies specific to events such as the shootings in Derry not satisfy you in the same way?

Anyway, why don't you saunter up to Millbank in the morning for a guided tour of Thames House and a look at some top secret materials? No country in the world will throw open its files in the way you are suggesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭kazzdee

df1985 wrote: »
    That girl on the news having an orgasm because she saw the queen-"who gets to the see the queen, the actual queen" blah blah blah.........

eh millions of people down the years love, in countries all over the world.They dont hide her in a box.

I could identify her from your post, just had to see it for myself. Sigh.
    Its the other end of the scale, from Eirigi, to that. Cant we just show some normal reactions on tv! Please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Northern Ireland may have had one party rule (not by the British, but they did little to stop it) but to compare it to rule by the Nazis is just... disgusting
    Wait? So its disgusting for the Jews to be treated as 3rd class citizens, with little if any rights... but for Irish Catholics to be treated like 3rd class citizens with little if any rights is ok?

Why should there be any difference! There wasn't the widespread genocide, but they were denied most of the basic human rights. Seriously Read a book on it, watch a documentary even. The living conditions for the Catholics at the time were appalling!

Northern Ireland may have had one party rule (not by the British, but they did little to stop it) but to compare it to rule by the Nazis is just... disgusting

Actually, they encouraged it by financing it (and from 1927, when the speaker of the Westminster parliament ruled that no issues relating to the north could be brought up in the British parliament, they sacrificed the nationalist community). Let's not revise the historical record out of existence here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

There is a difference between an apology and acknowledgement and "throwning open its files". David Cameron and the Queen have both done such things recently when in truth they didn't have to. It has been done far more for the Irish state than the British.

You seem satisfied enough in an IRA apology for thge murder of innocent people, as ambiguous and meaningless as it was. Why do apologies specific to events such as the shootings in Derry not satisfy you in the same way?

Anyway, why don't you saunter up to Millbank in the morning for a guided tour of Thames House and a look at some top secret materials? No country in the world will throw open its files in the way you are suggesting.
    I have said many times that there should be a reconciliation forum and a process in place where everyone can find out the truth. Grant an amnesty, release all files, get the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I am sure he meant, that nationalists and catholics were persecuted and murdered by their governing body and police force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Thanks for clearing that up so i know where you stand.

Sorry, what I meant to say is that I'm outraged!! What a dastardly thing to do...I'm choking on my own rage here!!:mad::mad::mad:

Better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Disgrace if that is true.
    I dont care who's visiting, for a flag to be confiscated is a joke.

I'll tell you what's more of a joke. A small group (max 100? ) of lumpy faced knackers, gougers and unemployed scum burning flags claiming to represent "Ireland". Do they not see the irony of chanting anti British slogans, while wearing british soccer jerseys? These people are ****ing a disgrace, surely they realise how stupid they look?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Was that a priest what robbed lizzies & phil's pint in the rte.ie article?

Imagine!

Now there's a claim to fame if ever there was one and it goes to a priest.

Tragic.

The barman must have spat in it though for it to be the 'perfect' pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I have said many times that there should be a reconciliation forum and a process in place where everyone can find out the truth. Grant an amnesty, release all files, get the truth.

Ok.. so if they did do that, what happens then?

What will the truth do?

Honestly, thousands of families have been affected on both sides.
    It has to stop somewhere.

What would you propose?

What do you think would solve all the "issues" and make us all live in peace?

Not having a go, just genuinely interested to see what you or other posters think is the solution.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

Sad that the same posters whose names turn up time and time again have completely shut their eyes, ears and minds to the historic events of today and of recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

ragg wrote: »
    I'll tell you what's more of a joke. A small group (max 100? ) of lumpy faced knackers, gougers and unemployed scum burning flags claiming to represent "Ireland". Do they not see the irony of chanting anti British slogans, while wearing british soccer jerseys? These people are ****ing a disgrace, surely they realise how stupid they look?

And I noticed THIS was the image the Sun newspaper decided to show today. FFS like.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Wait? So its disgusting for the Jews to be treated as 3rd class citizens, with little if any rights... but for Irish Catholics to be treated like 3rd class citizens with little if any rights is ok?

Why should there be any difference! There wasn't the widespread genocide, but they were denied most of the basic human rights. Seriously Read a book on it, watch a documentary even. The living conditions for the Catholics at the time were appalling!

Ok I must of missed the 6 million catholics in the north that were rounded up like animals, gassed, shot, starved, and tortured. Or the many children that suffered inhuman torturous experiments at the hands of sick Nazi doctors.

Are you out of your f**ing mind, to compare the two is downright disrespectful to what happened to the jews in WW2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

DColeman wrote: »
    That English women should shut up, it's not her country in question.

First off, that is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

Secondly, how do you know she's English? Just because of her accent? Give me a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Xivilai wrote: »
    The Queen referenced Mountbatten in that speech - when she was talking about the troubles, she said that the events "touched all of us, many of us personally"

The one time I though she got emotional in her speech - hard to blame her I suppose, its her uncle + family who was bombed. And all her life she has been under the threat of being bombed shot herself.
    She done well for an 85 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Why? What's the point? history will eventually learn the truth, anything else, at this point isn't really all that productive to the goal of a united Ireland or indeed a continuation of the status quo.

As much as you dislike it, Mary MC's hubby did more today for the cause of a united Ireland today then a million "reconciliation forums" would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dionysus wrote: »
    Alas, K9! :D. Try Oscar Wilde: 'What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.' (Lady Windermere's Fan, 1892)

First Wellington instead of O'Connell, and now Shaw instead of Wilde. hehe.

Yep, twas Wilde!

Don't know what Wellington has to do with me.

Was thinking of:
    If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience.

Barring a few die hards we have learned something today.

I'm loving the semantics and misrepresenting honouring the dead, as forgetting them by, the usual suspects on here.

Always loved this quote from Churchill:
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Liz spoke better Irish then the knuckledraggers who are out fighting Gardai and vandalising their own city probably ever did.

I have a suggestion for the scrotes wearing their English premier league jerseys and kicking wheelie bins: how about they use their energy to go find a job, earn some money & use that money to get themselves sterilised so they can't breed any more vermin?

And as for Bertie he shouldn't have been invited if the theme of the visit is breaking away from the "past"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

foxinsox wrote: »
    Ok.. so if they did do that, what happens then?

What will the truth do?

Honestly, thousands of families have been affected on both sides.
    It has to stop somewhere.

What would you propose?

What do you think would solve all the "issues" and make us all live in peace?

Not having a go, just genuinely interested to see what you or other posters think is the solution.

:)
    I think an amnesty should be granted so people wont be afraid to come forward.(as it stands they would only get 2 years anyway). The IRA, SF, republicans, The Irish Govt, The British govt, the northern assembly etc should all work together so the truth can be established, so the truth wont be buried any more.

The bloody sunday families didnt want people jailed, they wanted an acknowledgement. Other families on all sides deserve the same. We need to do this NOW before its too late.

NSNO wrote: »
    Not that the British has not already treated us as equals. They have done so since independence.

My oh my this is undereducated ahistorical nonsense if ever there were such a thing. Not a single professional historian of twentieth-century Ireland would support this wishful thinking. For your "treated us [sic] as equals" myth, you can start with the Boundary Commission report in 1925. I doubt, however, that you've ever heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Dionysus wrote: »
    Actually, they encouraged it by financing it (and from 1927, when the speaker of the Westminster parliament ruled that no issues relating to the north could be brought up in the British parliament, they sacrificed the nationalist community). Let's not revise the historical record out of existence here.
    hence the "little to stop it" comment
    The British government just didn't care

They were not the victim of genocide though... seriously if you compare British (or rather Unionist) rule of NI, where Catholics could get decent healthcare and education (forced upon the Unionists by those Lefties in alondon, bless), to Nazi rule then you must be joking

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The files on Ireland covering the war of independence are still sealed, and would make interesting reading, especially relating to the names of Irish natives who spied for the British. I expect some of them ended up in high places in the Irish state (and I don't mean the gallows).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Ok I must of missed the 6 million catholics in the north that were rounded up like animals, gassed, shot, starved, and tortured. Or the many children that suffered inhuman torturous experiments at the hands of sick Nazi doctors.

Are you out of your f**ing mind, to compare the two is downright disrespectful to what happened to the jews in WW2.

Rounded Up Like Animals: Check
    Shot: Check
    Starved: Check
    Tortured: Check

Are you out of your f**ing mind, not to compare the two is downright disrespectful to what happened to the catholics in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

NSNO wrote: »
    Sad that the same posters whose names turn up time and time again have completely shut their eyes, ears and minds to the historic events of today and of recent years.

Sadly for some nothing will ever be enough and these people who bleat on about how they are doing what they do for 'Ireland' and the Irish people are an embarresment.

I seriously question the intellect of anyone who cannot see the signifigance of the Queen of England standing on the pitch in Croke Park and laying wreaths for those who died for Irish freedom as well as those who perished fighting in her armies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

Well yesterday went very well and so I have no doubt today will be fine too.

I must I thought it was wonderful to see the Queen laying her wreath and remember those who died fighting for Irish freedom.

To me yesterday, and the visit in general, is about remember the past but also looking to the future and acknowledge that we here and in Britain are all now equals and friends.

And don't her Majesty and Philip look incredibly well for 85 and 90.
    agree with you entirely.Sinn Fein and their ilk are looking very pettish by refusing to be in her presence.president mcaleese is playing a blinder!all in all am very proud to be irish these days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Delighted nothing bad happened. They are our helpful neighbours and to see people be so mature about this is great. Even people who protested did so without real incident except for a select few but you'll always get idiotd.

Here's hoping we can become closer to our friends over in England.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement