Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I hope you aren't trying to credit Adams and McGuiness for achieving peace in the North and bringing the country to a place where Her Majesty is welcomed with smiles and cheers?

Adams wouldn't even refer to her respectfully till recently.

What if I am?
    Am I going to be frogmarched from my abode and lashed with a wreath whilst tied to the gates of The Garden of rememberance or something?

Adams and McGuinness were instrumental players in the peace process.
    That is accepted.

AFAIK, Adams referred to her as Mrs Windsor - that is her name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Nice touch by the Queen, speaking in Irish. :)

Nice to agree with you on something MagicMarker :p

ragg wrote: »
    pretty much, as long is it has nothing to do with mongs protesting against The British monarchy while wearing british football jerseys

It is reported that those a*holes were not even (all) Eirigi members.
    As far as anyone knows on here, those guys and gals were not SF members.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I aknowledge that it wasn't a systematic mass murder, but the Treatment of the Catholics before the "troubles" was comparible to the treatment of the Jews pre-gas chambers. In no way am I suggesting the Catholics would have been Gassed, or Mass Murdered, but to say that they are vastly different situations is, in my opinion, plain wrong.

Oh they are vastly different situations. Just educate yourself and I guarantee your opinion will change

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I hope you aren't trying to credit Adams and McGuiness for achieving peace in the North and bringing the country to a place where Her Majesty is welcomed with smiles and cheers?

Adams wouldn't even refer to her respectfully till recently.

We're gonna need more bridges :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

Nothing against the queen of england but if ever ireland needed a bomb it was at that dinner, Cowen, Aherne, Harry ****ing Crosby, all of 'Jaffas is Nazis spawn', all the **** and scum of Ireland were there and RSF were in the street outside protesting!!! Can they not make a ****ing Mortar!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

what would happen hypothetically speaking of course..?

ps this is only a bit of craic, as i've said before some of my friends and family are brits. but as our police say they have'nt the resources to protect the queen properly, and the rira have it in for her what would be the consiquences should this 80 something year old get murdered on irish soil.
    i reckon the consequences would be so bad that we should seriously consider withdrawing the invitation just imagine the plight of irish workers in the uk? jez they'd have to run for their lives

gambiaman wrote: »
    What if I am?
    Am I going to be frogmarched from my abode and lashed with a wreath whilst tied to the gates of The Garden of rememberance or something?

That is accepted.

Fair enough, perhaps my last post was a bit hasty.

I just feel you are trying to portray them in a heroic light they don't imo deserve.

But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dionysus wrote: »
    It's a mixture of both, with the mixture reflecting the politics and emotional state of each person. And, on this thread, it's an awful lot of emotionally-driven rent-a-mob posting against dissenting posters like Wolfe Tone. Many of these people have personally insulted him here and to his credit he has refused to rise to the bait.

Emotional state?

Some are comparing the Holocaust to what went on in Northern Ireland.

The famine I could see some sort of logic, not Northern Ireland. The posters appealing to emotion here are the likes of yourself.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

I aknowledge that it wasn't a systematic mass murder, but the Treatment of the Catholics before the "troubles" was comparible to the treatment of the Jews pre-gas chambers.

Absolute tripe and shame on whoever indoctronated you like that.

Look at great men like Gerry Fitt. He was catholic and a leader of the SDLP, but he joined the british forces during the war. He said before the war, during the war + after he was treated fairly.
    In that era the roman catholic % of the population of N.Ireland increased.
    In that era the protestant % of the population of the Republic decreased.

Now, which state did you say there was .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

ejmaztec wrote: »
    So it's not the German banks now?

It's some German banks, also. And some banks from some other countries.
    You can find these things out if your goal is to educate yourself on the matter; something tells me it isn't, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

tonyheaney wrote: »
    what would happen hypothetically speaking of course..?

ps this is only a bit of craic, as i've said before some of my friends and family are brits. but as our police say they have'nt the resources to protect the queen properly, and the rira have it in for her what would be the consiquences should this 80 something year old get murdered on irish soil.
    i reckon the consequences would be so bad that we should seriously consider withdrawing the invitation just imagine the plight of irish workers in the uk? jez they'd have to run for their lives

Withdraw the invitation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭pennypocket

Ye know I've actually really come round to this whole Queen's visit thingy. Bread and circuses and all that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Oh they are vastly different situations. Just educate yourself and I guarantee your opinion will change
    I have studied both, so enlighten me on what I need to educate myself on. I admit, I've more research done (College wise) on NI. I am open to changing my opinion.

Aslo to the poster a few posts back who said it was the most stupid thing they had read all day, explain how. What in that post was incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Smyth wrote: »
    You keep it with you to remember where you came from. To remember those who gave their lives so we could live free. I'm not saying to keep a boiling hatred for the British, but to forget it an move on as everyone on this board keeps protesting, is an insult to our forefathers.

Forget the holocaust. Move on. Forget Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Move on. Forget 9/11. Move on.

Frankly the general message on this board is depressing. I've popped in from time to time to have a look and It makes me ashamed that I have to call some of you people fellow Irishmen.

Most of you are so obsessed with shaking off this image of yourselves as Mick from the bog who hates the British, that you're willing to evaporate the memory of the brave who've gone before.

She was the reigning monarch of a country that murdered innocent civilians. Her Majesty's Armed Service. She is a criminal in my mind and not deserving of a 30million welcome.

I understand your anger but you cannot really move forward thinking like that for the rest of your life.

Britain committed lots of atrousities all over the world due to their imperialistic ideology at the time. Examples of their imperialistic attitude include the US, India, Pakistan, kenya,Australia, NZ etc etc. In my own country- Nigeria, we still have footprints of the negative legacy the British left as our colonial masters.

However, this is 2011, it is time people moved on and stop been so angry about issues they did not personally experience. A few years from now, Ireland would mark the centinary anniversary of her hard fought independence from Britain, the priority should focus on how far the country has developed and evolved positively as a result, appreaciate their history as instructional ,educative and more importantly something to be proud of, something which countries can emulate rather than consistently using it as a weapon and instrument of bitterness and hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Are people suggesting that Gerry Adams and Marty were not hugely instrumental players in the peace process? Without those two men there would be no peace process, thats why the dissidents loath those two men even more than they do the queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

No-one would argue the Troubles were horrific and inhumane things were done on BOTH sides.

But to compare that to the Holocaust, the systematic mass murder by a government of its people is just ridiculous!
    How was the Holocaust the systematic mass murder by a government of its people?:rolleyes::mad::mad::mad::mad: The Israelis did not carry out the holocaust you racist monster!!!:mad::mad::mad:
    Why are we limited to 15 images per post?
    mod: poster banned.

And their views are worth much? This is a party with links to the IRA.

Yes, their views are worth something.
    We talk of never thinking we would see the day the British monarch would visit Ireland etc yet have the memories of goldfish when SF began engaging with non-violent democracy and brought with them the vast bulk of Irish Republicans in the North.
    Without their participation, there would be no GFA and somewhat normalisation of life on this island (the same for the loyalist side in the equation)

I have studied both, so enlighten me on what I need to educate myself on. I admit, I've more research done (College wise) on NI. I am open to changing my opinion.

Aslo to the poster a few posts back who said it was the most stupid thing they had read all day, explain how. What in that post was incorrect?

I'm sorry I meant in respect to comparing the treatment of Catholics with the extermination of the Jews..........seems pretty black and white to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭adomino

basically we've just being shat upon from a great height - again.

past is past? seems their military hasnt learned to stop getting involved
    in other countries... eh wealth?

apologise for everything over the past 1000 years, including cromwels
    atrocities, the lands they took from under us, starving us, forcing us
    out of our homes. it all came from over there.

we never ventured, we never gained nor did we want to participate in
    such greed.

im also convinced the queen can speak german, i dunno her accent is
    royalishly bavarian :/

makes me sick to see the old miserable faces walking into dublin castle.

it also makes me sick to see nothing but scumbags protesting, of all the threats you do not have the know how to carry out a "clear shot" so please grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Bread and circuses and all that ;)

It doesn't take much does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

What if I am?

That is accepted.

She doesnt actually have a surname nor do any of the Princes, princesses, dukes or duchesses. For example, Prince Harry is reffered to in the army as Harry Wales.

adomino wrote: »
    basically we've just being shat upon from a great height - again.

past is past? seems their military hasnt learned to stop getting involved
    in other countries... eh wealth?

apologise for everything over the past 1000 years, including cromwels
    atrocities, the lands they took from under us, starving us, forcing us
    out of our homes. it all came from over there.

we never ventured, we never gained nor did we want to participate in
    such greed.

im also convinced the queen can speak german, i dunno her accent is
    royalishly bavarian :/

makes me sick to see the old miserable faces walking into dublin castle.

it also makes me sick to see nothing but scumbags protesting, of all the threats you do not have the know how to carry out a "clear shot" so please grow up.

There should be a "No Thanks" option.

How was the Holocaust the systematic mass murder by a government of its people?:rolleyes::mad::mad::mad::mad: The Israelis did not carry out the holocaust you racist monster!!!:mad::mad::mad:
    Why are we limited to 15 images per post?

I am not racist in any way, shape or form.

I meant, as anyone with a decent grasp of history would know, the German goverment and the mass murder by them of millions of people in their own country and those countries they took over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

I aknowledge that it wasn't a systematic mass murder, but the Treatment of the Catholics before the "troubles" was comparible to the treatment of the Jews pre-gas chambers. In no way am I suggesting the Catholics would have been Gassed, or Mass Murdered, but to say that they are vastly different situations is, in my opinion, plain wrong.
    I see what you mean, however this pretty much ended 300 years ago

Human life was valued much less then
    Was it valued at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

It is reported that those a*holes were not even (all) Eirigi members.
    As far as anyone knows on here, those guys and gals were not SF members.
    Ok, well in that case Eirigi members should stop saying that they "talk for Ireland" and the "real" IRA should stop waving the Irish flag, the irish people have spoken and we want nothing to do with that kind of bollox. 85% of people voted FOR the Good Friday Agreement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    So the bloody Sunday families were wrong to campaign for decades for the truth and should have accepted that those killed where not innocent?

The truth is the truth, it should be aired and not hidden for conveniences sake. It would be healing and would show that everyone is facing up to the past

I'm don't want to get into a big back and forth discussion about this.. :)
    So I'll just politely agree to disagree with your beliefs.

I think that there were horrific things that happened to people, innocent or otherwise on both sides and it has to stop sometime.. the sooner the better.

I think the visit by the Queen, the speechs of both her and President McAleese made a huge amount of sense.

I think that healing can come with time, and I don't agree with dissecting files that are years old, I don't see it doing any healing for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Only slightly incidental to the thread and not hugely important but just like to point out that there will be Braga and Porto fans on the streets of Dublin wearing football jerseys and people across the whole of Europe wear football jerseys of their clubs , as they do everywhere .But the wearing of Premiership / Scottish league jerseys while partaking in moronic protest for the worlds media, is not only an insult to the clubs in question but also to genuine football fans who wear these jerseys and support those clubs ....

Thank You

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭adomino

it most certainly is her name Saxe-Coburg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

oh god im outta here, cant take any more of this nonsence. there are about 4/5 posters here that in my opinion are "bar stool republicans". people who have read a few history books and attempted to read gerry adams endless supply of biographys. then go off and preach to teenagers and people younger than them and try to force their arseways view of ireland V the old enemy on them. the queen did good tonight in her speech, if we could all move on and be friends. but dont worry guys, i dont mean move on and forget. I mean move on, acknowledge, accept, bla bla bla..........zzzzzzz

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement