Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Nothing against the queen of england but if ever ireland needed a bomb it was at that dinner, Cowen, Aherne, Harry ****ing Crosby, all of 'Jaffas is Nazis spawn', all the **** and scum of Ireland were there and RSF were in the street outside protesting!!! Can they not make a ****ing Mortar!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Resolving issues need not end in bombs and violence all the time and it's kind of ironic considering your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I have studied both, so enlighten me on what I need to educate myself on. I admit, I've more research done (College wise) on NI. I am open to changing my opinion.

Aslo to the poster a few posts back who said it was the most stupid thing they had read all day, explain how. What in that post was incorrect?

I have taken a big interest in Northern Ireland politics and history down the years.

I suggest you read up more on the Holocaust.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

KeithAFC is not the Queen he is posting in the politics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

gambiaman wrote: »
    Yes, their views are worth something.
    We talk of never thinking we would see the day the British monarch would visit Ireland etc yet have the memories of goldfish when SF began engaging with non-violent democracy and brought with them the vast bulk of Irish Republicans in the North.
    Without their participation, there would be no GFA and somewhat normalisation of life on this island (the same for the loyalist side in the equation)

Fair enough, I did acknowledge already I may be wrong on this count.

I am just not a Sinn Feinn fan but thats incidental to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

I love these clinky glasses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Are people suggesting that Gerry Adams and Marty were not hugely instrumental players in the peace process? Without those two men there would be no peace process, thats why the dissidents loath those two men even more than they do the queen.

I dont think anyone suggested that they didn't. However, some mong took exception to me mentioing that the shouldn't have missed today!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Hendrixfan

Sadly for some nothing will ever be enough and these people who bleat on about how they are doing what they do for 'Ireland' and the Irish people are an embarresment.

I seriously question the intellect of anyone who cannot see the signifigance of the Queen of England standing on the pitch in Croke Park and laying wreaths for those who died for Irish freedom as well as those who perished fighting in her armies.

Irelands debt now stands @ 100,199,750,144 euro working out @ 22,480 per citizen. We've over 450,000 unemployed. Our Government has just added an extra 30 million euro to that mountain of debt thanks to this UK love fest.

At this present time we cant afford signifigance. The people who are responsible for this catastrophic mountain of debt are right now laughing at you, they are lapping it up in Dublin Castle FOC but its the republicans that bother you most?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

How was the Holocaust the systematic mass murder by a government of its people?:rolleyes::mad::mad::mad::mad: The Israelis did not carry out the holocaust you racist monster!!!:mad::mad::mad:
    Why are we limited to 15 images per post?

Hungary handed its jewish population over to the germans;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I think that healing can come with time, and I don't agree with dissecting files that are years old, I don't see it doing any healing for anyone.

Healing can come with the truth, not lies and suppression of the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am just an ordinary plain auld Dub. I have friends in the Uk who are ordinary plain folk and I am just glad to live in peace and harmony and enjoy neighbourly friendship and so are they . The ordinary folk know we are all the same and just want our kid s to play together and get along .
    I hope today makes that the way forward for us all .
    Fair play to the Queen and fair play to those who make this happen for us all .
    as gods gift to creation (Cork Man) living in London I agree with you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

K-9 wrote: »
    Emotional state?

Some are comparing the Holocaust to what went on in Northern Ireland.

The famine I could see some sort of logic, not Northern Ireland. The posters appealing to emotion here are the likes of yourself.

The logic of the British Elite during the famine was that helping the poor makes them lazy (a common idea in some parts of the world still *looks west*)
    It took many months for the British to start acting, and they did so dismally
    By the time they actually gave no strings help it was far, far too late

My biggest beef is that they wanted the Irish authorities to pay when we were a unitary state :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

For what it is worth éirigí apparently refused to partake in a protest with RSF and the 32CSM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Nice touch by the Queen, speaking in Irish. :)

She probably has a better grasp of it than some of those protesters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Fair enough, perhaps my last post was a bit hasty.

I just feel you are trying to portray them in a heroic light they don't imo deserve.

But that's just me.

I'm only counteracting the hysteria (how I see it only ;-)) when Adams or McGuinness or SF is mentioned in here - their parts should be recognised along with everyone elses involved and IMO they were heroic to take the steps needed to get us here today, without them there wouldn't be a GFA or a state visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I thought part of me was opposed to the visit when it had been coming up but the more it goes on the more Im impressed with it and with the queen to be honest. She bowed in the garden of remembrance, spoke in Irish, visited croke park where the gaa president didnt gloss over what happened, and gave a speech which showed at least some regret for the entire history of anglo-irish relations.

Shes doing the right things I suppose to appease doubters of the visit, but it cant be denied how good its coming across for us in general, apart from a few young lads throwing fireworks.

I understand some peoples frustrations and respect their right to protest, very easy for me to say get over it when ive lived in Kildare all my life-never once affected by the troubles but I hope people in the North/border counties are at least getting some sort of good feeling about the whole thing. It wont gloss over the past, but it might heal wounds that little bit more.

From here on out, hope it goes off without a hitch. Been an important 2 days already for our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"No-one there to help her into the car"

Snarky bitch on Sky News :pac:.

Hendrixfan wrote: »
    Irelands debt now stands @ 100,199,750,144 euro working out @ 22,480 per citizen. We've over 450,000 unemployed. Our Government has just added an extra 30 million euro to that mountain of debt thanks to this UK love fest.

At this present time we cant afford signifigance. The people who are responsible for this catastrophic mountain of debt are right now laughing at you, they are lapping it up in Dublin Castle FOC but its the republicans that bother you most?

Yes I am signifigantly more bothered by people who plant bombs under innocent civilians, incite violence and burn national symbols and claim to do it on behalf of Ireland and the Irish than I am about debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Hendrixfan wrote: »

the 30 million is mostly wages wghich will recirculate in ireland.

security would cost a lot less if it was not for extremist republicans-blame them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Smyth wrote: »

She was the reigning monarch of a country that murdered innocent civilians. Her Majesty's Armed Service. She is a criminal in my mind and not deserving of a 30million welcome.

So I take it that you object to Gerry Adams and Martin Ferris being in the Dáil, then ?

Or is there more double-standards to come to weasel out of the above objection ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Frankies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

I have studied both, so enlighten me on what I need to educate myself on. I admit, I've more research done (College wise) on NI. I am open to changing my opinion.

Aslo to the poster a few posts back who said it was the most stupid thing they had read all day, explain how. What in that post was incorrect?

Pre gas chambers tens of thousands of Jews had their food rationed, were unable to enter certain cities and were forced to wear the star on their clothes many thousands of Jews died of starvation. Almost all of them were stripped of any valuables that they had, radios, bicycles etc.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, when did this happen in the north. Seriously start hitting the books before posting ridiculous comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

hence the "little to stop it" comment
    The British government just didn't care

No, it just financed it all. It's incredible that you can say the British were merely apathetic about the plight of northern nationalists, and totally ignore that most fundamental point of all: it, the British state, financed the mistreatment of the nationalist community in the north of Ireland. This sounds very much like an attempt to abnegate their responsibility and rewrite the past.
    They were not the victim of genocide though... seriously if you compare British (or rather Unionist) rule of NI, where Catholics could get decent healthcare and education (forced upon the Unionists by those Lefties in alondon, bless), to Nazi rule then you must be joking

I haven't made such a comparison but nice of you to introduce this strawman. What's your agenda? As for "genocide", they weren't the victims of British "genocide" in the twentieth century, that's true. Their forefathers were, however, very much victims of genocide from the time of Walter Devereux, 1st earl of Essex, in the 1570s. But, really, isn't it just you who has made a spurious comparison with the Third Reich in this discussion?

Nevertheless, if you are looking for a realistic comparison between the situation in the northeast of Ireland following partition in December 1920 and elsewhere, try the apartheid régime in South Africa where, in 1963, the Minister for Justice B.J. Vorster offered to exchange all of his proposed anti-"black" legislation for a single clause of the Special Powers Act of 1922, a law financed by the British state under which nationalists in the north of Ireland lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

K-9 wrote: »
    I have taken a big interest in Northern Ireland politics and history down the years.

I suggest you read up more on the Holocaust.
    I will, you know. Been a while.
    Have visited a concentration camp in Czech Republic, and do know of the horrors that the Jewish people had to endure, and I in no way wished to belittle it.
    However people should know about the conditions that lead to the troubles also. The Slums, Gerrymandering (sp?), Religious segregation for Jobs, Legal Status. etc. All with no political representation.
    Surely you can see some comparisons?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'm no royalist at all, but Liz a great aul' girl!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

A little royal humour? I don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

NSNO wrote: »
    Some in this thread could have done with listening to the Queen today,

"We must bow to the past but not be bound by it" - Queen Elizabeth II

thanks for posting that. It is a great line

I wondered what she said there.

I must say I am liking the Queen more and more with every second of this visit, not that I ever really disliked her but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

I will, you know. Been a while.
    Have visited a concentration camp in Czech Republic, and do know of the horrors that the Jewish people had to endure, and I in no way wished to belittle it.
    However people should know about the conditions that lead to the troubles also. The Slums, Gerrymandering (sp?), Religious segregation for Jobs, Legal Status. etc. All with no political representation.
    Surely you can see some comparisons?

No, no comparison. I think the poster above that mentioned South Africa would be a little closer or the civil rights movement in America but not what happened in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I wondered what she said there.

I must say I am liking the Queen more and more with every second of this visit, not that I ever really disliked her but still.

she said 'a cairde' in a real irish accent

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement