Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I hope they give her some Galway Crystal to take home with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sure she didn't say 'kinky class'? Aul Lizzie's an ol' rascal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

she said 'a cairde' in a real irish accent

I loved that she spoke Irish, wonderful touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Hendrixfan wrote: »
    Irelands debt now stands @ 100,199,750,144 euro working out @ 22,480 per citizen. We've over 450,000 unemployed. Our Government has just added an extra 30 million euro to that mountain of debt thanks to this UK love fest.

At this present time we cant afford signifigance. The people who are responsible for this catastrophic mountain of debt are right now laughing at you, they are lapping it up in Dublin Castle FOC but its the republicans that bother you most?

so as well as the €22,480 I already "owe" - I now owe another €6.73 for the queens visit - I'm gutted !!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I love how bat sh!t crazy monarchs are, eccentric inbred lunatics for us all to enjoy. While she's speaking publicly of her fascination with the noise produced by some glass-on-glass action, Philip is telling Enda Kenny about the 200lb Native he shot on safari last summer.

Sure they cost our friends in the UK a few quid to maintain, but they are a goldmine of comedy.

I think they sound break out the man uncle in the attic for the next visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Are people suggesting that Gerry Adams and Marty were not hugely instrumental players in the peace process? Without those two men there would be no peace process, thats why the dissidents loath those two men even more than they do the queen.

like trimble, paisley and robinson, we welcome them to SUNNINDALE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

Hungary handed its jewish population over to the germans;)
    A complete non sequitur and factually incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

There should be a "No Thanks" option.

There is - it comes up when you don't click on the 'thanks' button.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Racist, she called us Clinkys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

ragg wrote: »
    Ok, well in that case Eirigi members should stop saying that they "talk for Ireland" and the "real" IRA should stop waving the Irish flag, the irish people have spoken and we want nothing to do with that kind of bollox. 85% of people voted FOR the Good Friday Agreement

I agree totally.
    So i wish the stuff about SF on these 'protests' would stop.

• Advertisement

How come she hasn't apologised?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭adomino

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Pre gas chambers tens of thousands of Jews had their food rationed, were unable to enter certain cities and were forced to wear the star on their clothes many thousands of Jews died of starvation. Almost all of them were stripped of any valuables that they had, radios, bicycles etc.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, when did this happen in the north. Seriously start hitting the books before posting ridiculous comments

1 million died here under british rule, 1 million left, and all our money was taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Brave man pointing that fact out

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

For what it is worth éirigí apparently refused to partake in a protest with RSF and the 32CSM

Guards seem to have handled it well too. Just seen footage of some Muppet up at lines trying to antagonise them and they basically just ignored him, one Guard went behind and walked him away!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Because she can't. The head of the goverment ie David Cameron is the one who must do the apologising.

But she came as close as she could in her speech tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Dionysus wrote: »
    No, it just financed it all. It's incredible that you can say the British were merely apathetic about the plight of northern nationalists, and totally ignore that most fundamental point of all: it, the British state, financed the mistreatment of the nationalist community in the north of Ireland. This sounds very much like an attempt to abnegate their responsibility and rewrite the past.

exactly. they didn't care
    That makes them responsible, if indirectly, and some may argue they should not interfere with NIs afairs
    I was saying that it was the Unionists, who maintained the one party states, were the direct culprits

(I addressed other bits of your post in another reply)

Because she can't. The head of the goverment ie David Cameron is the one who must do the apologising.

I don't buy that. Everything done to this country by Britain was done in her and her families name - i.e. the Monarch.

And Cameron has already apologised anyway (well, for Blood Sunday). It's about time the biggest war-monger in the Western World apologised too (and before you point out that she's not a war-monger, keep in mind her Army cannot be deployed without her approval).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

They were there together, Im sure she could have got the a ok then or even before she left Britain

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

adomino wrote: »
    1 million died here under british rule, 1 million left, and all our money was taken

Weren't they lucky they beat Fianna Fail to it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I will, you know. Been a while.
    Have visited a concentration camp in Czech Republic, and do know of the horrors that the Jewish people had to endure, and I in no way wished to belittle it.
    However people should know about the conditions that lead to the troubles also. The Slums, Gerrymandering (sp?), Religious segregation for Jobs, Legal Status. etc. All with no political representation.
    Surely you can see some comparisons?

No.

Dionysus gave a better comparison, apartheid, some similarities there definitely, other African and many Central and South American countries.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

adomino wrote: »
    alot more than 1 million died.

In fairness its up to the English to kill her and I think she will die before the English revolution. William an Pippa will dance the hempen jog instead:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

What exactly are you expecting as an apology? The PM of the UK issued one last year..i think! and the she expressed her nation's regret on the events of the past.

My take on this is even if the Queen shed tears and knelt down asking for forgiveness , some folks would never be 'pacified'.

The issue seems to be more than just asking for an apology!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

K-9 wrote: »
    Guards seem to have handled it well too. Just seen footage of some Muppet up at lines trying to antagonise them and they basically just ignored him, one Guard went behind and walked him away!

part of me thinks the guards should have opened his face, to show we dont tollerate the shameful **** we saw printed after the first days "protests".

But, yeah, that was probably the right idea

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Can't be fúcked reading 30 pages, but I think this visit's been brilliant so far.

Obviously, I don't think anyone was expecting an out-right apology for anything, but laying the wreath yesterday was a great gesture. To be honest, I'm amazed she did. And speaking a short phrase of a language the British once killed people for speaking is hugely symbolic. Personally, I think it's been a great success so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Anyone want to chip-in for an FoI request for the security footage of the banquet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

J. Marston wrote: »
    "No-one there to help her into the car"

Snarky bitch on Sky News :pac:.

For the sake of your blood presure, switch channel and never look at that 'news station' again!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭adomino

Weren't they lucky they beat Fianna Fail to it ?

ah biffo got in there tonight due to his 5 minute taosigh attempt, hes had his royal dinner, that will do him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

SShhhh. Everything is going great for the country. 100 million tourists are on the way next year to improve our coffers. Let's all forget about the past and move on what.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

They were there together, Im sure she could have got the a ok then or even before she left Britain

Surely saying that there are things that both sides regret is basically an apology? Do we seriously still need to continue all this BS about events that have happened (some well before any of us were born). Lets learn from the past and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

SShhhh. Everything is going great for the country. a good few more tourists are on the way next year to improve our coffers. Let's all remember the past and move on what.:D

FYP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement