Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

So for the sake of maintaining her own status and wealth she'll choose to let her government do whatever the fook they like?

No, she'll let them do whatever the fook the british people who elect them want them to do! And if the public arent happy then they'll vote in the other crowd. Thats how the system works!! You dont want her to be there at all, right, so how at the same time can you be angry that she doesnt interfere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

ISDW wrote: »
    Or maybe, as she is unelected, and the government has the mandate of the people, being elected and all, she views it as democracy?

So what's the point of the monarchy's existence or the powers that it has despite them being able to invoke them but never will in order to maintain said existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

So what's the point of the monarchy's existence or the powers that it has despite them being able to invoke them but never will in order to maintain said existence.

No idea, not my country, not my concern, just answering your post about why she wouldn't 'interfere'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

They cost each citizen of the UK around 50p a year. The vast majority of the UK agree that they are worth it. They create mass amounts of tourism, trade and goodwill to their nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

we will never end up with el prsedente Tony Blair (think Bertie in the Park)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I heard Myers on the radio earlier taking credit for developing Islandbridge from a council rubbish dump into the maintained memorial site it is today. Can anyone verify this or was he talking rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

we will never end up with el prsedente Tony Blair (think Bertie in the Park)

And immediately the Monarchy can be justified!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Celebrity. History. Tourism. ceremony. Raising profiles of things. They make more money than they cost. (A PR firm after the wedding reckoned Kate Middleton with be worth £2bn over her life through increased donations to the charities that she choose to become patron of, plus tourism plus merchandising). Diana saved hundreds of lives through her patronage of the landmine charity. the Princes trust is the biggest charity in the UK

Whether you agree or disagree with the monarchy, that is the kind of stuff they do. They dont play politics any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭laura.

I hope the queen tooterd over in her own private jet, cuz micheal o leary will charge her a fortune for all the suitcases she's taking over and back....jeez how many times can one person change their clothes in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I disagreed with her visit only a couple of days ago, I thought it would not work out well. I thought it cost too much and was a waste of time. I will be the first to admit how wrong I was. I watched all the live coverage and was gobsmacked at how tables are turning and a conscious effort is being made to start a new. Super impressed at her cupla focal also. :)

• Advertisement

laura. wrote: »
    I hope the queen tooterd over in her own private jet, cuz micheal o leary will charge her a fortune for all the suitcases she's taking over and back....jeez how many times can one person change their clothes in a day

She worked her passage, did you not see her arriving in her Aer Lingus uniform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

She's unelected. How is she speaking for people that didn't put her in a position to speak for them?

once again, you dont understand. That's her job, she gets a cushy life, in return she reflects the "mood" (i.e. what the gov say tell her to do) of the UK, that is a rare occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    A great day today and I was delighted to see the past put behind us .

It's amazing that after centuries of British rule (which continues over 17% of Ireland) in a single day the past can be "put behind us". Extraordinary. Magical, in fact.

If I may be permitted for a moment to bring everybody back to 2007 and the consensus that property prices have just reached their true value after Ireland was economically depressed for so long. I thought it was amazing how that could have happened in a single year, but now I'm gobsmacked that centuries of British rule can be put in the past in a single day. Impressive!

This is a great little country with great wonders performed every few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

steve9859 wrote: »
    Celebrity. History. Tourism. ceremony. Raising profiles of things. They make more money than they cost. (A PR firm after the wedding reckoned Kate Middleton with be worth £2bn over her life through increased donations to the charities that she choose to become patron of, plus tourism plus merchandising). Diana saved hundreds of lives through her patronage of the landmine charity. the Princes trust is the biggest charity in the UK

Whether you agree or disagree with the monarchy, that is the kind of stuff they do. They dont play politics any more.

Agreed. Along with all of the above, there is a strong traditional element, too. We tend to think of the Monarchy as only really beginning with the 1066 conquest, but really, it stretches back much further (as if 1066 wasn't far back enough!).
    It is a huge part of British identity. Not everyone agrees with the continuation of the Monarchy, but the majority do.

ragg wrote: »
    once again, you dont understand. That's her job, she gets a cushy life, in return she reflects the "mood" (i.e. what the gov say tell her to do) of the UK, that is a rare occasion

I actually don't think she has a cushy job, imagine doing that every day, having to be nice to people, shake hands, stand around while people explain things to you that you have no interest in whatsoever. Yes she is very wealthy, and she has nice cars, houses etc but in all honesty, I wouldn't want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

The Queen is off to see the Horses tomorrow and Prince Phillip will be with President McAleese for the Gaisce awards. He's off the leash so I think tomorrow is the day Phillip will have his vintage moment :D

I dont think there has ever been a nation so wanted to be insulted by one person. It feels like it will be a honour :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Hendrixfan

We've whipped up some media storm, according to BBC not a rasher about us can be seen on the front of any British News paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭adomino

thats what they say, they changed it to windsor in the last century for
    anti-german reasons. if they left out the bull**** your name would not be windsor but as it should be, saxe-coburg

he married her and had 9 children :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert,_Prince_Consort

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Hasn't the monarchy become somewhat irrelevant as an institution in England?... at least in the last two decades or so? It has been somewhat like a tourist attraction full of imaginary china cup using toffs that people like to talk about in gossip mags, useless really, except perhaps with the exception of being able to highlight and foster interest in various charities and organisations...

Never had much interest in Monarchies to be honest for this very reason.

However, I'll say one thing for Queen Elizabeth - that this particular visit is perhaps one of the more radical and concilliatory worth while achievements that she will go down in history for. It brings a whole new dimension to the role that the monarchy, even symbolically can play going into the future....and what a worthwhile one too! A new direction for them.

Well pleased with our own President during this visit - and I have to add that I am somewhat fascinated at the 85 year old queen's sharp mind, and surprised at her determination and drive on this visit to lay some old ghosts to rest, all the while wearing green in some form or another and tonight wearing 2096 shamrocks no less. Mad.

I never thought I would see the day tbh that she would make a trip like this. I think 'symbolicaly' - because she still represents in many minds the old cob webbed monarchy as opposed to the younger blood - that the whole thing carried more weight because it was herself, and not her son or grandson in another decade or two..

Indeed, I never thought I would 'understand' the whole ceremony and even understand the playing of GSTQ in The Garden of Remembrance - I was initially shocked at the idea and thought that somebody had lost their reason over Her Majesty, but when I came in from work and saw the whole thing put together I understood that it represented a timeline and history ending with the raising of the Irish flag and a sovereign nation - albeit an incomplete one that owes lots of money - but one that exists nonetheless and had a future to work towards, and I thought it was a fitting tribute to the men of 1916, with the final playing of Amhran na bhfiann.

Actually, perhaps their greatest victory is not so much that some don't like the fact that the Queen of England visited, but the fact that so many people couldn't have given a hoot prior to the visit itself, which is gaining more and more interest in a positive way..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Pauleta wrote: »
    I dont think there has ever been a nation so wanted to be insulted by one person. It feels like it will be a honour :pac:

I'll be disappointed with this trip if the entire nation doesn't get insulted by Prince Philip :D

He had the perfect opportunity today with the hurl in his hand but didn't take it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Hoffmans wrote: »
    never knew it would lead to this...

Wow, that's terrible. I think I'll go get myself indoctrinated, maybe throw a few things at the pigs, if I show the 'Big Boys' how hard I am, maybe I'll be promoted and get to plant a bomb or something.

Is anyone wathching that idiot o'snodig or whatever on Vincent Brown?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hendrixfan wrote: »
    We've whipped up some media storm, according to BBC not a rasher about us can be seen on the front of any British News paper.

Unfortunately not front page news means things went well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I heard Myers on the radio earlier taking credit for developing Islandbridge from a council rubbish dump into the maintained memorial site it is today. Can anyone verify this or was he talking rubbish

I can confirm that it is, as usual, rubbish. In the Myersverse, all things concerning anglo-irish relations are the fruit of his loins. The reality is a big ego and an over reliance on a thesaurus.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

lol

I spent most of my time watching a fairly uninterested Queen, and then she actually gets entertained by a clinky glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nodin wrote: »
    I can confirm that it is, as usual, rubbish. In the Myersverse, all things concerning anglo-irish relations are the fruit of his loins. The reality is a big ego and an over reliance on a thesaurus.

Indeed, gaybo single handedly held that forlorn park against the forces of evil for a decade, every blade of grass there whispers "well done, wonderful" in honour of his sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

The Queen is off to see the Horses tomorrow and Prince Phillip will be with President McAleese for the Gaisce awards. He's off the leash so I think tomorrow is the day Phillip will have his vintage moment :D

Phillip was barred from seeing the horses as he would have probably called one of them Camilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

lmaopml wrote: »
    Hasn't the monarchy become somewhat irrelevant as an institution in England?... at least in the last two decades or so? It has been somewhat like a tourist attraction full of imaginary china cup using toffs that people like to talk about in gossip mags, useless really, except perhaps with the exception of being able to highlight and foster interest in various charities and organisations...

Never had much interest in Monarchies to be honest for this very reason.

However, I'll say one thing for Queen Elizabeth - that this particular visit is perhaps one of the more radical and concilliatory worth while achievements that she will go down in history for. It brings a whole new dimension to the role that the monarchy, even symbolically can play going into the future....and what a worthwhile one too! A new direction for them.

Well pleased with our own President during this visit - and I have to add that I am somewhat fascinated at the 85 year old queen's sharp mind, and surprised at her determination and drive on this visit to lay some old ghosts to rest, all the while wearing green in some form or another and tonight wearing 2096 shamrocks no less. Mad.

I never thought I would see the day tbh that she would make a trip like this. I think 'symbolicaly' - because she still represents in many minds the old cob webbed monarchy as opposed to the younger blood - that the whole thing carried more weight because it was herself, and not her son or grandson in another decade or two..

Indeed, I never thought I would 'understand' the whole ceremony and even understand the playing of GSTQ in The Garden of Remembrance - I was initially shocked at the idea and thought that somebody had lost their reason over Her Majesty, but when I came in from work and saw the whole thing put together I understood that it represented a timeline and history ending with the raising of the Irish flag and a sovereign nation - albeit an incomplete one that owes lots of money - but one that exists nonetheless and had a future to work towards, and I thought it was a fitting tribute to the men of 1916, with the final playing of Amhran na bhfiann.

Actually, perhaps their greatest victory is not so much that some don't like the fact that the Queen of England visited, but the fact that so many people couldn't have given a hoot prior to the visit itself, which is gaining more and more interest in a positive way..

I think the summary judging from the interest that the Queen's visit has generated is that there is a lot of history at play. Majority of people are hurt by the past, most of have decided to move on , some are still been held back by their emotions.The last thread deleted yesterday was well over 1000 posts, this one created 'today' is over 1000 as well.

The majority of posters in my opinion represent the genuine feelings of the Irish people which is - past behind them, forward forever!

Well done Ireland, you have shown the world what Progress really means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement