Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

January wrote: »
    Yeah and apparently she hasn't been in the best of health for a while...

she must be around 80yrs as well, not as old as the queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

The Queens speech was an well worded insult imo she basically said i feel sorry for the people who suffered but she never said I am sorry! The reason she used this choice of words was because the British establishment believe they done no wrong and until they realize this we will not be able to put the past behind us!

I think the people rioting on Dublins streets are idiots the have no idea what they are fighting for and to be honest I think they are just anarchists wanting a spat with the cops.

I think the question needs to be asked would our head of state get the same welcome in a state visit to the U.K? Have we just gone over the top with this visit and given the Queen of Britain a welcome that makes her of greater importance than our own head of state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

latenia wrote: »
    In fairness, he has a very nice throwing stance-good balance and form.

A bit of coaching and we could make a fine cricketer out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What was wrong with Berties legs and trousers?:D

Yes I'm sure our head of state would get the same welcome in the UK.

Can the queen have one nice day in AH.

I think she will wear a yellow dress today.

• Advertisement

Poor bertie no one loves him any more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

cosanostra wrote: »
    I think the question needs to be asked would our head of state get the same welcome in a state visit to the U.K? Have we just gone over the top with this visit and given the Queen of Britain a welcome that makes her of greater importance than our own head of state?

No, our President wouldn't get the same welcome in the UK. That's because Ireland isn't as important to Britain as Britain is to Ireland.

I don't see how you could argue with that. It'd be like saying Cuba is as important to the US as the US is to Cuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

latenia wrote: »
    In fairness, he has a very nice throwing stance-good balance and form.

I thought that too. Almost like hed done this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Mary McAleese saying wow a couple of times was cringeworthy.

yes, i was shouting oh shut up!! at the telly

• Registered Users Posts: 86,499 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So Ronan O' Gara didnt shake her hand and he is in trouble - well thats whats on the radio now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

The Queens speech was an well worded insult imo she basically said i feel sorry for the people who suffered but she never said I am sorry! The reason she used this choice of words was because the British establishment believe they done no wrong and until they realize this we will not be able to put the past behind us!

I think the people rioting on Dublins streets are idiots the have no idea what they are fighting for and to be honest I think they are just anarchists wanting a spat with the cops.

Change the record.

It is clear why she didn't explicitly apologise last night as her role is ceremonial and not political. What would an apology do for you that her acknowledgment of our dead in the Garden of Remberance didn't do.

Some people just feel the need to moan and complain for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

hondasam wrote: »
    National Stud Kildare is our next visit, hope she enjoys it.

Is there something you're not telling us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You have to see it in context.

It wouldn't be the first time in the history of the state that Britain had recieved an Irish head of state and nor would there be the same security threat or same symbolic importance.

As for the speech, it went as far as you could expect from a titular head of state and about as far as you would expect from our own president who plays an equally ceremonial role.

The future of the North is a political issue for the UK/Irish governments and their electorates - it won't be decided by cosmetic figureheads like the Royal Family or the president.

Thinking otherwise is just indulging in anti-Brit sophistry although being oblivious to - and out of kilter with - the real wishes of the majority of the citizens of your country is something the Provos/Dissidents have always had in common with the Royals.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Our head of state wouldn't be in as much danger as the queen is over here, so no, she wouldn't get the same welcome over there. For people in England, the visit of an Irish head of state wouldn't be that big a deal. I look forward to the day when a visit from English monarch of the day to Ireland would be treated that way, because only then will people have truly moved on and gone forward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

A nation waits excitedly to be insulted by Philip. Anyone think of any gems he's likely to say? A locals/ booze comment like he said in Scotland seems too easy. For the occasion lets have a few classic philip quotes. 'You are a woman aren't you?' I forget who he said that to!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Bertie always looks like he had rickets .

A nation waits excitedly to be insulted by Philip. Anyone think of any gems he's likely to say? A locals/ booze comment like he said in Scotland seems too easy. For the occasion lets have a few classic philip quotes. 'You are a woman aren't you?' I forget who he said that to!
    I wanted him to take a swing at Cowen with the hurley .

Anyone think of any gems he's likely to say?

Meat? I thought you only ate potatoes over here?

For all the people opposing the Queen's visit, and decrying her lack of overt apology, do you think the British hate us, or have malicious intent towards us?

Similarly, do you think justice should be punitive or rehabilitive? Because this visit is about rehabilitating our relationship. Sometimes forcing an apology is nothing more than indulging in pure vindictiveness. Surely the biggest apology has been the welcome every Irish person receives in Britain. It was the British supporting Ireland during the 1994 world cup when none of the British countries qualified. It's the scores of English holidaying in West Cork and Kerry every summer. The British hold no ill will towards the Irish. Demanding their apology and rejecting their hospitality is following in Paisley's footsteps of calling for their shaming, that they wear sackcloth and ashes. And that is absolutely disgusting.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So Ronan O' Gara didnt shake her hand and he is in trouble - well thats whats on the radio now :rolleyes:

Wasn't that a while back? Excellent piece on it below

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/news-comment/kevin-myers-ronan-ogaras-a-real-lout-for-not-giving-the-queen-some-respect-1685515.html

Has he done it again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

How you can still find fault is beyond me. It seems like nothing will ever be enough for some people and they just love the bitterness.

Last night both ladies gave fantastic speeches and the Queen went further than I think anyone expected. Respects have been paid to the past, it's done and dusted, forward we go.

He never refused to shake hands with the Queen, he just had his hands in his pockets when she walked the line.

And if he didn't shake hands with her last night it's because she stopped shaking hands after a while. She's an 85 year old women and I wouldn't expect anyone's granny to stand for that length of time, let alone shake hands with however many people were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Bertie always looks like he had rickets .

They're his robbing trousers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Buceph wrote: »
    He never refused to shake hands with the Queen, he just had his hands in his pockets when she walked the line.

And if he didn't shake hands with her last night it's because she stopped shaking hands after a while. She's an 85 year old women and I wouldn't expect anyone's granny to stand for that length of time, let alone shake hands with however many people were there.

I dint think ROG was at the dinner last night and if he was maybe the Queen was getting her own back on him :D

I dint think ROG was at the dinner last night and if he was maybe the Queen was getting her own back on him :D

"Oh her comes that rude athlete! I'll wipe that smug smile he has after every kick off his face."

I'm a big Munster fan, btw. But O'Gara does have the smuggest smile in Ireland.

Bambi wrote: »
    Wonder if he had his eye on the crown jewels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Bambi wrote: »

Which he also robbed from a homeless guy, which is why they don't fit too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

On a sidenote, it is interesting to note how many times I hear people mention Cromwell when looking for apologies from the Queen (NOT, I repeat not saying that it has been said here btw). You know given that Cromwell was a leading figure in the execution on Charles I and ruled as Lord Protector from 1653 until his death in 1658. So you know it is not as if the monarchy were particularly fond of the man either.

That and ignoring the fact that all this happened in the 17th century and we are now in the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

On a sidenote, it is interesting to note how many times I hear people mention Cromwell when looking for apologies from the Queen (NOT, I repeat not saying that it has been said here btw). You know given that Cromwell was a leading figure in the execution on Charles I and ruled as Lord Protector from 1653 until his death in 1658. So you know it is not as if the monarchy were particularly fond of the man either.

That and ignoring the fact that all this happened in the 17th century and we are now in the 21st century.

Cromwell was a Republican

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

why is there a fells doing buckeroo infront of the queen ????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement