Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I don't believe there is any doubt over Tony O'Reilly's entitlement to be called Sir is there?
    Did the Irish state give him permission?

"No title of nobility or of honour may be accepted by any citizen except with the prior approval of the Government"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

"No title of nobility or of honour may be accepted by any citizen except with the prior approval of the Government"

Yes

However that is irrelevant to his entitlement to style himself Sir. He only requires the approval of the UK Government. Failure to gain permission from the Irish government would simply have called into danger his entitlement to Irish citizenship, not his entitlement to style himself Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Yep, Bertie ok'ed it at the last second -O'Reilly had to threaten to renounce his Irish citizenship to get it sorted out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

telekon wrote: »
    Those comments are an embarrassment. Youtube strikes again. Website for neanderthal keyboard warriors.

so we are not aloud to have our Irish freedom?? where's Mel Gibson when you need him haha I ya i know he is Scottish lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

After taking ages to get into my gaf there with all the security around the place. If i had of known that aul gee bag was visiting the national stud today i wouldn't have come back home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

After taking ages to get into my gaf there with all the security around the place. If i had of known that aul gee bag was visiting the national stud today i wouldn't have come back home.

Lovely way to refer to an elderly lady.

The mentality of some people regarding the Queen amazes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

tonyheaney wrote: »
    so we are not aloud to have our Irish freedom?? where's Mel Gibson when you need him haha I ya i know he is Scottish lol

um Mel Gibson is australian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Mel Gibson, Scottish?:eek:

I think he was actually born in the US, then his Dad won the lottery and they moved to Australia. Not sure what his nationality is, but I am sure it ain't Scottish.

Do you ever wonder how you know crap like that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Uncouthness is a way of life for some.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

People can refer to her as they wish.

I must remember to pop into a Mugabe thread and remind everyone that he is an old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's a term of affection widely used in these parts, usually by people covering up the fact that they've replaced their illuminated Sacred Heart picture with one of the Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I don't believe there is any doubt over Tony O'Reilly's entitlement to be called Sir is there?

He may feel he is entitled to be called it, I certainly won't be doing it in earnest. I can think of far better names to call him ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Hence the "haha I ya i know he is Scottish lol" part of my message ????????????!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

ISDW wrote: »
    I think he was actually born in the US, then his Dad won the lottery and they moved to Australia. Not sure what his nationality is, but I am sure it ain't Scottish.

Do you ever wonder how you know crap like that?

And he was named after St Mel's Cathedral in Longford.

True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I must remember to pop into a Mugabe thread and remind everyone that he is an old man.

Of course they can. But that does not make it right or acceptable.

And the Queen and Mugabe are not remotely comparable as you well know.

The real Wolfe Tone would turn in his grave at some of your comments WT.

Hence the "haha I ya i know he is Scottish lol" part of my message ????????????!!!!!!!!

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I know. HM and HRH. It's sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The Queen ate my puppy earlier today. Damn her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Do you play any other tunes?

04072511 wrote: »

the guy in the bottom left is really checking out Celtic dude's ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

'Britain out of Ireland' does not refer to a sporting boycott. Not to mention the fact that Celtic is a Scottish club that has a Catholic-Irish tradition.

I want to know who or what he's praying to

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭deepsouthtalla

Morlar wrote: »
    'Britain out of Ireland' does not refer to a sporting boycott. Not to mention the fact that Celtic is a Scottish club that has a Catholic-Irish tradition.

Scotland is still in Britain!!! Argument null and void!

ISDW wrote: »
    I want to know who or what he's praying to

I'd imagine its 'Jaaaaaaaysus'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Morlar wrote: »

You can run with defense all you want but it doesn't take away from the hypocrisy, muppets one & all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭knockostia

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

knockostia wrote: »

Send her a text and ask her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

'Old women' vs 'aul gee bag'.... I know I'd knock the head off someone who'd refer to my mother in 30 years time using the later

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement