Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Hence the "haha I ya i know he is Scottish lol" part of my message ????????????!!!!!!!!

Actually Mel Gibson is an American. He doesn't hold an Australian passport and is not entitled to one.

He also holds an Irish passport - so he is more Irish than Australian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

The least they could do is teach them what they are protesting for, they had one on fm104 the other night who helped to burn the flag he couldn't even name the 6 northern counties. He also kept referring to the anniversary but didn't know what the anniversary was for. Sums up some of their intentions!

Luxie wrote: »
    And he was named after St Mel's Cathedral in Longford.

True story.

I thought he was named Mel after St. Mel (not the Cathedral) and then Colm-Cille after his mother's parish saint in Longford?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

[QUOTE=

The mentality of some people regarding the Queen amazes me.
    [/QUOTE]
    i totally agree the amount of 'proud' irish men and women that are actually defending her is unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

And the Queen and Mugabe are not remotely comparable as you well know.

Which Mugabe's he talking about?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

I thought he was named Mel after St. Mel (not the Cathedral) and then Colm-Cille after his mother's parish saint in Longford?

Perhaps you're more accurate, I'm basing what he said on an interview on the Late Late years and years ago, so I'm probably misremembering.

Until that point I had no idea he was half Irish

Morlar wrote: »
    'Britain out of Ireland' does not refer to a sporting boycott. Not to mention the fact that Celtic is a Scottish club that has a Catholic-Irish tradition.

'Britain out of Ireland' - apart from the Celtic fans, and maybe Man Utd, and em,maybe Liverpool as well, and em, Cheryl Cole can come as she is a bit of a roide, Louis Walsh can go back in her place, we'll have the XFactor heats though, and don't forget to send my current bun over.

Luxie wrote: »
    Perhaps you're more accurate, I'm basing what he said on an interview on the Late Late years and years ago, so I'm probably misremembering.

Until that point I had no idea he was half Irish

Yep, 50% Irish - 0% Australian

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

i totally agree the amount of 'proud' irish men and women that are actually defending her is unbelievable

Agreed. I'm very proud of our Gardaí and our PDF.

They're doing a great job this week.

3 cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Yep, 50% Irish - 0% Australian

:D

I'm not sure he's someone we should be particularly proud of! :D

• Advertisement

It's called "being civilised".

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's called "being civilised".

The Queen should be afforded the same courtesy and hospitality as any other invited head of state. To do otherwise is an affront to the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Would ye shut up about the politics of the visit nobody apart from a few druggies in central Dublin are interested anymore. It's all changed now lads , Gerry Adams might as well retire on his pension , he has nothing more to offer .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Which Mugabe's he talking about?:confused:

Yeah. he's not the Mugabe of THIS country...

Now what time is the party tonight? Anybody being invited ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

04072511 wrote: »

Are there 3 more lads out of shot doing "M" "C" and "A"?
    Nice of the gay lads to welcome the Queen;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

yeah mugabe hasnt been the same since Brian May...um. Nevermind

I bought a phone in a Carphone Warehouse in Tralee about 18 months ago, and the salesman was Robin Mugabe, so I just wondered, although he didn't look like the Queen either.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

Been reading this and previous Queen visit thread with interest. I am Irish living in London. Always considered myself a well educated individual with fairly strong Rebulican views. I know Ireland is in a mess, hence I work abroad now, but it upsets me to still see so many people so flippint with regards to our national history.

Couple of points -

A lot of people have come on here and said they don't like Adams and McGuiness, what they stand for etc. However the same people say we must move on and change our opinions towards the Royal Family. I never agreed with out right Terrorism, and while I had a lot of sympathy for the IRA's cause, I would never agree with the taking of innocent civilian lifes. But times have changed, Mr Adams and McGuiness have without doubt played a huge part in the peace process, and continually speak out against any terrorist attacks by the RIRA or others. Isn't it time for certain people to move on and acknowledge this?

I was very opposed to the Queen coming to Ireland for more reasons than I'm going to go into here. I like England, the people here are generally very nice and no worse than any others I have experienced around the world, including Irish. However I have felt a certain sincerity from her actions in the Garden of Rememberance, Croke Park visit and her Speech last night.

While I will remain a supporter of a united Ireland, an openly anti Royalist, I can acknowledge I have seen the old bird in a better light.

The problem I find with most threads, be they about the Queen visit, the Old Firm troubles or the sweets you'd most like to bring back (just change starbursts back to opal fruits, never been the same), the views are usually black or white. People should always have an open mind and don't be afraid to change some of your opinions even if your real beliefs may never change.

In time I have no doubt there will be a united Ireland, and whether it will mean anything to you as an individual, you should respect those who have a genuine passion in their life to see this happen.

Síocháin maith le gach duinne

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Polster wrote: »
    In time I have no doubt there will be a united Ireland...

You're in for a bit of a shock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

One say we will all be united under the cruel domain of the Ant men

decies wrote: »
    Now what time is the party tonight? Anybody being invited ?

My partner is driving one of the guests to the convention center for the dinner, they are sitting for dinner at 6.35 is what he heard, but the guests were asked to arrive by 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

That should be an opinion and not a statement of fact, and for what it is worth I don't believe it will happen in my lifetime.

Jake1 wrote: »
    My partner is driving one of the guests to the convention center for the dinner, they are sitting for dinner at 6.35 is what he heard, but the guests were asked to arrive by 3!

That's because the security men are putting on their marigold gloves to check the guests' orifices for explosive devices.

That's because the security men are putting on their marigold gloves to check the guests' orifices for explosive devices.

probably so, yes :) The dinner starts at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Jake1 wrote: »

What time does the bar open?

What time does the bar open?

That I do not know, but they lighting a bong at 6 ;):p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Are they trying to kill the Queen and her husband with all the travelling about and hand-shaking. A half-hour hand-shaking last night and with some of them i hope she counted her fingers afterwards. There are far too many hangers-on too trying to get up close for that big important photo. Give the woman a rest. She is 14 years short of a century and her husband 10. Its too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

No chance will there ever be a united Ireland. To be honest we couldn't afford it anyway! Social welfare payments would be cut to a bare minimum and we would be much worse off than we already are, as difficult as that is to imagine. And I gather that a huge percentage of those occupying the 6 counties would rather remain under British rule anyway! So it is a wasted argument, a non-runner and although I previously wished it could be united again, there is no point to it economically. It is in our best interests to keep the lines of communication with ourselves and our neighbours in very good order and build a lasting foundation that will enable us to grow stronger in a parnership perhaps and leave the past behind once and for all. We need to look forward to the future and put the ghosts to rest.

• Advertisement

7.30 pm kick off. Wonder if it's live anywhere ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement