Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

The Queen should be afforded the same courtesy and hospitality as any other invited head of state. To do otherwise is an affront to the Irish people.

if you go home tonight and your next door neighbour has taken the north eastern part of your garden what would you do? afford courtesy and hospitality?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

So the Irish are finally going to get some revenge on HRH Queen Elizabeth 11, they are going to make her sit through Mary Byrne shouting a song

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I know. HM and HRH. It's sickening.

:confused:

i totally agree the amount of 'proud' irish men and women that are actually defending her is unbelievable

Not what I meant and you know it.

Since does being a proud Irish man or woman mean hating everything and everyone British?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

if you go home tonight and your next door neighbour has taken the north eastern part of your garden what would you do? afford courtesy and hospitality?

What does Pat Kenny have to do with this?

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Which Mugabe's he talking about?:confused:

Robert Mugabe, President/Leader of Zimbabwe. The man who has single handly destroyed that country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

sgb wrote: »
    So the Irish are finally going to get some revenge on HRH Queen Elizabeth 11, they are going to make her sit through Mary Byrne shouting a song

Where are Crystal Swing when you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Polster wrote: »
    Been reading this and previous Queen visit thread with interest. I am Irish living in London. Always considered myself a well educated individual with fairly strong Rebulican views. I know Ireland is in a mess, hence I work abroad now, but it upsets me to still see so many people so flippint with regards to our national history.

Couple of points -

A lot of people have come on here and said they don't like Adams and McGuiness, what they stand for etc. However the same people say we must move on and change our opinions towards the Royal Family. I never agreed with out right Terrorism, and while I had a lot of sympathy for the IRA's cause, I would never agree with the taking of innocent civilian lifes. But times have changed, Mr Adams and McGuiness have without doubt played a huge part in the peace process, and continually speak out against any terrorist attacks by the RIRA or others. Isn't it time for certain people to move on and acknowledge this?

I was very opposed to the Queen coming to Ireland for more reasons than I'm going to go into here. I like England, the people here are generally very nice and no worse than any others I have experienced around the world, including Irish. However I have felt a certain sincerity from her actions in the Garden of Rememberance, Croke Park visit and her Speech last night.

While I will remain a supporter of a united Ireland, an openly anti Royalist, I can acknowledge I have seen the old bird in a better light.

The problem I find with most threads, be they about the Queen visit, the Old Firm troubles or the sweets you'd most like to bring back (just change starbursts back to opal fruits, never been the same), the views are usually black or white. People should always have an open mind and don't be afraid to change some of your opinions even if your real beliefs may never change.

In time I have no doubt there will be a united Ireland, and whether it will mean anything to you as an individual, you should respect those who have a genuine passion in their life to see this happen.

Síocháin maith le gach duinne

You should never bite respect the hand that feeds you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Morlar wrote: »
    Where are Crystal Swing when you need them.

Naked in a cream factory after an explosion of cream and stuff that makes cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

She prefers Chris De Burgh but he won't get invited because of his British passport!

• Advertisement

Not what I meant and you know it.

Since does being a proud Irish man or woman mean hating everything and everyone British?

i dont remember posting that i hate everything and everyone british.... probably because i dont! admittedly there was a stage in my youthful years that i probably did but now i know many english people and the majority of the ones i know are actually anti royalist and would grant a 32 irish republic tommorrow if they had the power to do so. in fact i dont recall any of the posters quoting they hated everything and everyone british.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

So if the queen said "Hand Northern Ireland to the Irish please" it would just happen? Because that seems to be the logic of those who blame her for it being part of the UK.

If we were still part of the UK we'd all be speaking Irish to each other :D

Dudess wrote: »
    So if the queen said "Hand Northern Ireland to the Irish please" it would just happen? Because that seems to be the logic of those who blame her for it being part of the UK.

no one is claiming that. but on the other hand theres a distinct possibility that it could get the ball rolling on the matter though if she were to make such a statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭supermonkey

Sure it's only a flag

And then she'll be going against the wishes of those who live there and consider themselves British (her subjects) and want to remain part of the UK - whether you like it or not, that's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

no one is claiming that. but on the other hand theres a distinct possibility that it could get the ball rolling on the matter though if she were to make such a statement

are you mental? go up the north and actually ask the nationalist what they think. you'd be surprised. do you actually expect the unionists to take it lying down then?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What time is she heading down to Cork at? Can't wait for the traffic to improve around Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

are you mental? go up the north and actually ask the nationalist what they think. you'd be surprised. do you actually expect the unionists to take it lying down then?

I don't know anyone from the nationalist tradition (of any age) that wishes to maintain the union, not one

I know two in their late 20s who say they like the idea of a united Ireland, but in reality (economically mainly) they're not so sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Saru

Jeez this argument just keeps going around in circles. When will the dissidents just accept the FACT that the MAJORITY in NI *want* to be part of the UK. Both countries have legitimately signed up to the Good Friday Agreement which means that NI can only become part of the south when a majority want it ie through a vote.
    It would simply be anti-democratic to follow their argument. This is all completely aside from the fact that we just cannot afford NI and nor does it look like we will be able to for quite some time.

I don't know anyone from the nationalist tradition (of any age) that wishes to maintain the union, not one

well i know plenty and believe me they would prefer to be a seperate entity rather than actually part of 26 counties. they would be happy with a status quo, obviously with a lesser involvement from the british but still keep on the sterling and general day to day issues.

And then she'll be going against the wishes of those who live there and consider themselves British (her subjects) and want to remain part of the UK - whether you like it or not, that's the reality.

isnt that where the referendum comes in?

i know plenty of them and none of them would want to stay with the status quo. and no i dont expect the unionists to take it lying down, no matter what happens some group will have grievances. even if it remains the way it is do you expect the dissidents to take it lying down?
    I know two in their late 20s who say they like the idea of a united Ireland, but in reality (economically mainly) they're not so sure.

so they are in two minds, the important question would be which way would they vote come referendum time?

Great idea, get the 6 counties back and all the Nordies can emigrate with the rest of us!

isnt that where the referendum comes in?

i know plenty of them and none of them would want to stay with the status quo. and no i dont expect the unionists to take it lying down, no matter what happens some group will have grievances. even if it remains the way it is do you expect the dissidents to take it lying down?

dissidents from nationalist side? sure theyre a bunch of tits living in the past. as you said no matter what happens some group will have grievances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭rounding tattenham Corner

Polster wrote: »
    Been reading this and previous Queen visit thread with interest. I am Irish living in London. Always considered myself a well educated individual with fairly strong Rebulican views. I know Ireland is in a mess, hence I work abroad now, but it upsets me to still see so many people so flippint with regards to our national history.

‎"I showed my appreciation of my native land in the usual Irish way by getting out of it as soon as I possibly could." George Bernard Shaw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Look what the good people in NI are missing out on, crap health service, education cut backs, social universal charge, pay cuts, job losses , :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

The thing is she can't make such a statement. She can't make any statement that isn't written for her by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Saru wrote: »
    Jeez this argument just keeps going around in circles. When will the dissidents just accept the FACT that the MAJORITY in NI *want* to be part of the UK.
    Republicans such as SF & Eirigi couldn't care less what the opinions of the Unionist community are. If they did, they'd have taken part in the ceremonies in Islandbridge and they'd have shown that they respect those things Unionists hold dear. SF & Eirigi want "victory", not integration.

• Advertisement

The centre of Cork will be closed tomorrow, so people will get a day off. Damn it, I would work out in the suburbs! :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement