Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

gerard65 wrote: »
    I'm surprised she did'nt stitch one on O'Leary. 'wha you say about me fallin of a horse'.

I can only presume that O'Leary thought the 'Queen falling off the horse' remark was funny!

Personally I thought it was crass & uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If I had organised the show the line-up would have been:

Derek Mooney as MC so it would be one Queen adressing another.

Dara O'Brian.

The Pogues.

Paddy Reilly singing 'The Fields of Athenry' with Falls Road Choir providing 'IRA Chorus'.

The Wolfe Tones

Tommy Tiernan

Brian Cowen pissed doing impressions

U2, just for Sunday Bloody Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

What did Olivia O'Leary say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

LordSutch wrote: »
    I can only presume that O'Leary thought the 'Queen falling off the horse' remark was funny!

"One was not amused"
    Surely someone read over O'Leary's speech before hand. I say a senior civil servant will have strips torn off them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

surprise surprise! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Cilla :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm surprised how little coverage this is getting. Hardly a mention of it on the bbc website, where the top news is that French fella gettin a blowie in a hotel room in NY, and Obama goin on about the Taliban!

Also, I find it strange all this talk from politicians about bringing the Republic of Ireland and the UK closer together and repairing ties. I didn't know our relationship was THAT bad that it needed repairing!! I thought it was grand! Fair enough up in NI (which is in the UK) so technically they're in-fighting.

Anyway hopefully we'll see some real benefit from this, in increased UK tourism or something.
    Regards the quuen herself, the most I want from her is that she actually genuinely enjoyed her trip, so less of the hand-shaking bollix and let her have a laugh, even if its away from the cameras.

lol ye and speaking of cameras, is there anywhere to watch the coverage online, or is it over?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I'm surprised how little coverage this is getting. Hardly a mention of it on the bbc website, where the top news is that French fella gettin a blowie in a hotel room in NY, and Obama goin on about the Taliban!

Also, I find it strange all this talk from politicians about bringing the Republic of Ireland and the UK closer together and repairing ties. I didn't know our relationship was THAT bad that it needed repairing!! I thought it was grand! Fair enough up in NI (which is in the UK) so technically they're in-fighting.

Anyway hopefully we'll see some real benefit from this, in increased UK tourism or something.
    Regards the quuen herself, the most I want from her is that she actually genuinely enjoyed her trip, so less of the hand-shaking bollix and let her have a laugh, even if its away from the cameras.

lol ye and speaking of cameras, is there anywhere to watch the coverage online, or is it over?

Firstly The Queen going to a concert performing middle of the road music is hardly World News.

Also if you think history of Ireland/Britain and in particular is merely an house issue that doesn't require repairing is like saying that the Holocaust was merely a German problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Has been getting big coverage in the UK actually, not just from Sky and BBC, but a lot of local radio, Londons LBC have given it plenty of coverage on its shows throughout the day and night, also have gotten mails from friends over there talking about it.

Edit: are you talking about the trip overall or the concert tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

There was a good segment on the BBC news at ten yesterday I thought and just been an interesting discussion on BBC's This week. 24 hour channels such as Sky and the BBC news channel were strongly focusing on it yesterday also

As far as strengthening of relationships and co-operating I doubt on a grand scale much will change. As you say the relationship between Whitehall and Dublin has been fine for a long while, with the way the visit has been coordinated and carried just going to show that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 OnAndUp

I agree, I thought Olivia O'Leary was a very poor choice and was cringing with the dreadful introduction of her by Gaybo, Olivia was completely out of place. That type garbage is ok for RTE canteen but has no place in front of impressive speakers like the Queen herself, Mary McAleese and Seamus Heaney and indeed all the talented people in the room. For me it was the only low point of the visit. Another example of RTE completely out of touch with decent and intelligent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 waggs

Crass and uncalled for? O'Leary?
    Hardly.
    She's not our bloody Queen after all. I think O'Leary struck the perfect note of reminding us all we're not bending over for her - just showing a bit hospitality.

I thought O'Leary was brilliant. If the Queen has any sense of humour she'll have got it. If not - tough.

gerard65 wrote: »
    "One was not amused"
    Surely someone read over O'Leary's speech before hand. I say a senior civil servant will have strips torn off them tomorrow.

I would like to know who chose to put Olivia O'Leary up there. I also thought that Gaybo was casual and inarticulate and was not in touch with the tone of the event.

OnAndUp wrote: »
    I agree, I thought Olivia O'Leary was a very poor choice and was cringing with the dreadful introduction of her by Gaybo, Olivia was completely out of place. That type garbage is ok for RTE canteen but has no place in front of impressive speakers like the Queen herself, Mary McAleese and Seamus Heaney and indeed all the talented people in the room. For me it was the only low point of the visit. Another example of RTE completely out of touch with decent and intelligent people.

Hang on, this show was nothing to do with RTE, they merely televised it.

This was in fact an entirely British event arranged and paid for by the British embassy.

Even if it was RTE they wouldn't have written O'Leary's words.

Also, if you look up Olivia O'Leary on Twitter you will see her speech gets more praise than criticism.

waggs wrote: »
    Crass and uncalled for? O'Leary?
    Hardly.
    She's not our bloody Queen after all. I think O'Leary struck the perfect note of reminding us all we're not bending over for her - just showing a bit hospitality.

I thought O'Leary was brilliant. If the Queen has any sense of humour she'll have got it. If not - tough.

Crass and uncalled for, that is what I think too. Anybody who knows a bit about how our sense of humour travels, will know full well that 95% of the audience would have felt that OOL was inappropriate, poorly received out of place. Clearly the queen did not get it, did you see how she blanked O'Leary afterwards, she had kind words for many of the others, but looked unimpressed when OOL chose to talk at her again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Pauleta wrote: »
    She sounds so bitter. Somebody really should of read her speech before she went up there and talked about her as if she wasnt there. I doubt one is amused.
    Olivia's speech was so insulting IMO.
    gambiaman wrote: »
    It is awful!
    MrsD007 wrote: »
    I doubt that Tommy Tiernan could have been as insulting and that's saying something!

And to add further insult to the Queen Gaybe patronisingly told the audience after Olivia O'Leary that we had made the correct choice in who to talk about the Queen, or words to that effect.

cringeworthy, I could not believe it. The Queen was invited here by our President. She is 85 years old + should not be insulted like that.

We will know how badly it was received, when RTE put Joe Duffy on the case tomorrow telling us how good it was as with the Charlie Bird programme on Crean- which was world class compared to O'Leary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

what did she say?

OnAndUp wrote: »
    We will know how badly it was received, when RTE put Joe Duffy on the case tomorrow telling us how good it was as with the Charlie Bird programmw on Crean- which was world class compared to O'Leary

Joe Duffy should have done the Guinness tour imo

gigino wrote: »
    And to add further insult to the Queen Gaybe patronisingly told the audience after Olivia O'Leary that we had made the correct choice in who to talk about the Queen, or words to that effect.

cringeworthy, I could not believe it

patronising, cringeworthy, who chooses these people, mediocrity sees greatness in mediocrity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Eh it was front page of the BBC website 'til today. The BBC had live coverage of the first day of her visit, it's been on all the newspapers over there, it's very big over there.

There was a good segment on the BBC news at ten yesterday I thought and just been an interesting discussion on BBC's This week. 24 hour channels such as Sky and the BBC news channel were strongly focusing on it yesterday also

As far as strengthening of relationships and co-operating I doubt on a grand scale much will change. As you say the relationship between Whitehall and Dublin has been fine for a long while, with the way the visit has been coordinated and carried just going to show that.

Just watching now, very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I didnt care about the queen coming and thought it probably will do some good. But after all this **** and the way people were so easily bought I'm ashamed to be honest. A couple of words in Irish and everyone is in love with her.

Gardai confiscating and destroying Irish flags, as people smile at the tv and profess their new found respect for the queen of England. Shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Skunkle wrote: »
    I didnt care about the queen coming and thought it probably will do some good. But after all this **** and the way people were so easily bought I'm ashamed to be honest. A couple of words in Irish and everyone is in love with her.

Gardai confiscating and destroying Irish flags, as people smile at the tv and profess their new found respect for the queen of England. Shocking

Yeah lol. Watch Mcaleese ( spelling? ) when the queen starts talking in Irish. She lip syncs "WOW" once or twice, so fcuking pathetic lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Just watching now, very good.

Fergal Keane likes the publicity, that's a prerequisite of the Politics show though, over all a decent piece.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

nuxxx wrote: »
    Yeah lol. Watch Mcaleese ( spelling? ) when the queen starts talking in Irish. She lip syncs "WOW" once or twice, so fcuking pathetic lol.

She was saying 'Wow' because the Queen spoke unexpectedly in Irish and also because her pronunciation was pretty damn good. That was all, she was expressing surprise not bloody laying down in front of her begging for a British passport....ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Did anyone get the name of the song that Eimear Quinn sang towards the end? I missed Gaybo's intro and when he said it at the end again (I got distracted)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

santino wrote: »
    Did anyone get the name of the song that Eimear Quinn sang towards the end? I missed Gaybo's intro and when he said it at the end again (I got distracted)

Mná na hÊireann

Skunkle wrote: »

They didn't confiscate or destroy any flags: they took flags off thugs who were trying to hit them with it.(The one's wearing Liverpool/Celtic & Man U jerseys).

I am not a fan of the Queen or monarchy. I am totally against the institute that she stands for as I believe all countries should be republics.

However, I have nothing against the Queen as a person, and she was born into the job which is not her fault and I must admit to have been impressed by her this week. Impressed by how dedicated she is to her job and the stamina she has at the age of 85 to appear to enjoy looking at empty sports stadiums and shaking hands etc.

She did some significant things this week, that a few years ago would have been unthinkable. Going to the Garden of Remembrance and bowing to the memory of Irish Rebels who fought against her country.
    Speaking in Irish in an official speech.

Coming as close as she could to an apology as she could was very significant.

These are truly significant events that pave the way for a better future for both countries.

Yourself and the likes of Wolfe Tone and Aengus O'Snoddigh (Spelling) can complain all you like and say that it's disgusting etc but the fact is that I regard the visit this week as a big success makes me no less Irish than I was last week. I am very proud to be Irish and the fact that she can now come here, be kept safe and see the sights here and be impressed by Ireland makes me even more proud.

You will have to accept that your viewpoints are ones that have been left behind by most people in Ireland and won't be coming back unless Britain re-invades and declares war.

Time to move on and all that. It's all part of the process to peace, and don't forget how Unionists might have felt over the last years in things they feel they have given away: but it has happened and it is working and visits like this help ensure that there is no going back to terrorism, death, discrimination and hatred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

murpho999 wrote: »
    She was saying 'Wow' because the Queen spoke unexpectedly in Irish and also because her pronunciation was pretty damn good. That was all, she was expressing surprise not bloody laying down in front of her begging for a British passport....ffs!

She knew the cameras were on her though, she deliberately did that to make a bigger deal out of it than it actually was. I'm not saying it wasnt a surprise or unwelcome. I think it was a great thing for the Queen to do and I thought her speech was well written and it has moved the peace process forward leaps and bounds. And the Queen seems like a very nice elderly lady. But lets not forget who exactly she is, what she represents and why it has taken so long to get to this point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement