Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

gigino wrote: »
    And to add further insult to the Queen Gaybe patronisingly told the audience after Olivia O'Leary that we had made the correct choice in who to talk about the Queen, or words to that effect.

cringeworthy, I could not believe it. The Queen was invited here by our President. She is 85 years old + should not be insulted like that.

If she didn't want to be insulted she could have stayed at home If she was retired I might see it differently but she came here as head of state, and overall she has been treated very well. If we aren't going to throw some egg in her face, we might as well courtesy and ask her back as our leader.
    Personally I'm a bit peeved by her presence here, and her arrival in her green leprechaun suit, I would like to be part of a public protest, but am unwilling to be associated with the hardline element. (my ancestors were almost completely wiped out, by english forces).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

murpho999 wrote: »
    They didn't confiscate or destroy any flags: they took flags off thugs who were trying to hit them with it.(The one's wearing Liverpool/Celtic & Man U jerseys).

I am not a fan of the Queen or monarchy. I am totally against the institute that she stands for as I believe all countries should be republics.

However, I have nothing against the Queen as a person, and she was born into the job which is not her fault and I must admit to have been impressed by her this week. Impressed by how dedicated she is to her job and the stamina she has at the age of 85 to appear to enjoy looking at empty sports stadiums and shaking hands etc.

She did some significant things this week, that a few years ago would have been unthinkable. Going to the Garden of Remembrance and bowing to the memory of Irish Rebels who fought against her country.
    Speaking in Irish in an official speech.

Coming as close as she could to an apology as she could was very significant.

These are truly significant events that pave the way for a better future for both countries.

Yourself and the likes of Wolfe Tone and Aengus O'Snoddigh (Spelling) can complain all you like and say that it's disgusting etc but the fact is that I regard the visit this week as a big success makes me no less Irish than I was last week. I am very proud to be Irish and the fact that she can now come here, be kept safe and see the sights here and be impressed by Ireland makes me even more proud.

You will have to accept that your viewpoints are ones that have been left behind by most people in Ireland and won't be coming back unless Britain re-invades and declares war.

Time to move on and all that. It's all part of the process to peace, and don't forget how Unionists might have felt over the last years in things they feel they have given away: but it has happened and it is working and visits like this help ensure that there is no going back to terrorism, death, discrimination and hatred.

Dont jump to conclusions as to what my views are. I'm not a republican or a nationalist. Thats the problem here anyone who voices any kind of concern or disagreement are automatically lumped together as people who hate Britain and dont want an end to the violence. And the Gardai didnt just take flags from violent protesters, google it and you'll see ordinary people having flags taken from them. And its not the people who protested (not including the scum looking for trouble) who are advocating hatred but the people who jump down the throats of anyone who doesnt see the Queen as they do, a lovely little old lady who only want to be our friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Skunkle wrote: »
    She knew the cameras were on her though, she deliberately did that to make a bigger deal out of it than it actually was. I'm not saying it wasnt a surprise or unwelcome. I think it was a great thing for the Queen to do and I thought her speech was well written and it has moved the peace process forward leaps and bounds. And the Queen seems like a very nice elderly lady. But lets not forget who exactly she is, what she represents and why it has taken so long to get to this point.

C'mon....McAleese expressed some surprise at the Queen speaking Irish. I was gobsmacked myself. Just like in Jerry Maguire 'She had me at An Uachtarain'.
    She wasn't expressing benevolence to the queen.

I know who the Queen is and who she represents.

She represents our closest neighbour.
    Our largest trade partner.
    All of our favourite football clubs.
    Home to thousands of Irish citizens and millions of Irish descent.
    A country that has helped us recently with a dig-out.

Yes, there is a past there, and Britain has done some terrible things, but would you not think that the Queen coming here, and her actions and words are attempts to reconcile that and start a new beginning.

We'll get nowhere with constant revisionism and holding grudges over the past.

Also, Britain could also object to things Ireland has done to them in the past but that hasn't been a word about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I have only two memories of tonights gig.

1. Johnny Logan wasn't there

2. Eimear Quinn needs a new bra.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

2 stroke wrote: »
    I
    Personally I'm a bit peeved by her presence here, and her arrival in her green leprechaun suit

Jaysus Christ, people will search and search to be offended by something. Thought it was a nice touch for a 85 year old!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

C'mon....McAleese expressed some surprise at the Queen speaking Irish. I was gobsmacked myself. Just like in Jerry Maguire 'She had me at An Uachtarain'.
    She wasn't expressing benevolence to the queen.

She's a head of state and knows that showing surprise and emotion is gonna be picked up on. She wouldnt have done it if she didnt want it picked up on hence it was a deliberate.

I know who the Queen is and who she represents.

She represents our closest neighbour.
    Our largest trade partner.
    All of our favourite football clubs.
    Home to thousands of Irish citizens and millions of Irish descent.
    A country that has helped us recently with a dig-out.

She represents an imperialist military power which is currently engaged in war, that has previously occupied this country. The fact that you brought soccer into it shows your an idiot. And they did not help us out with a "dig out" they were protecting their own financial interests.
    Yes, there is a past there, and Britain has done some terrible things, but would you not think that the Queen coming her, and her actions and words are attempts to reconcile that and start a new beginning.

I have already agreed to this, your just saying that stuff to make me out as some republican who is anti-british and dont think what the queen did was in any way good.

We'll get nowhere with constant revisionism and holding grudges over the past.

Another pointless statement as I have already agreed with that point.

Also, Britain could also object to things Ireland has done to them in the past but that hasn't been a word about that.

Anything Ireland has done to Britain has been a direct result of their occupation. I'm sure your turn that statement into "your a terrorist" and launch another unwarranted attack on me for a made up reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Just watching it now.... Can't remember the name of that mental dancer but I'm pretty sure he's Canadian, isn't he? Why was he there? It's traditional Canadian dance :confused:

Anything Ireland has done to Britain has been a direct result of their occupation.

That's a disgusting thing to say. Sending the Nolan sisters over there had fcuk all to do with occupation. It was just a nasty thing to do in the first place.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    That's a disgusting thing to say. Sending the Nolan sisters over there had fcuk all to do with occupation. It was just a nasty thing to do in the first place.

The Irish state cannot be held responsible. That was the work of the devil himself.

Anything Ireland has done to Britain has been a direct result of their occupation.

Well other than a few little pirate raids on their coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

She's a head of state and knows that showing surprise and emotion is gonna be picked up on. She wouldnt have done it if she didnt want it picked up on hence it was a deliberate.

So the President as head of state is not allowed to express human emotion and be surprised and everything she does is staged and deliberate.
    One word response: Bollocks!
    She represents an imperialist military power which is currently engaged in war, that has previously occupied this country. . And they did not help us out with a "dig out" they were protecting their own financial interests.

I look forward to your posts objecting to Obama's visit next week as his country is at war as well.
    Fair enough about the money but they still did it as a gesture of friendship.
    The fact that you brought soccer into it shows your an idiot

"You're an idiot" would make you look smarter there!

I have already agreed to this, your just saying that stuff to make me out as some republican who is anti-british and dont think what the queen did was in any way good.

Your posts and tone come across as very anti-British.
    Anything Ireland has done to Britain has been a direct result of their occupation. I'm sure your turn that statement into "your a terrorist" and launch another unwarranted attack on me for a made up reason.

No denying the occupation was wrong, but the actions after were also wrong. Two wrongs never make a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Quick question, does the Queen like croquet? Does she play it? Is it even a real sport? Do we play it?

Sorry if this has been asked, it probably has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Anyone see this?

murpho999 wrote: »
    I look forward to your posts objecting to Obama's visit next week as his country is at war as well.
    Fair enough about the money but they still did it as a gesture of friendship.

I absolutely object to Obama visiting for those very reasons.
    If you agree the money was to protect their own interests how can you think it was a gesture of friendship?

Your posts and tone come across as very anti-British.

Because you didnt bother reading them fully before you decided I was an anti-British republican with a chip on my shoulder.

No denying the occupation was wrong, but the actions after were also wrong. Two wrongs never make a right.

Once again your arguing a point I never made. I said they were as a result of the occupation. Never said I agreed with them.

Personally I'm a bit peeved by her presence here, and her arrival in her green leprechaun suit, I would like to be part of a public protest, but am unwilling to be associated with the hardline element. (my ancestors were almost completely wiped out, by english forces).
    K-9 wrote: »
    Jaysus Christ, people will search and search to be offended by something. Thought it was a nice touch for a 85 year old!

I didn't have to search and search, I can only search my family history back to a certain time and place in history where almost everyone living in that area was slaughtered regardless of innocence or guilt.
    Separate to that I don't think it is right for her to wear green in association with Ireland, and I realy thought she resembled a leprechaun stepping of that plane. I accept I am in a small minority on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

DWCommuter wrote: »

What goes around comes around. We did the same with Jedward but that blew right back in our face.

Niles wrote: »
    What goes around comes around. We did the same with Jedward but that blew right back in our face.

I reckon the Nolan Sisters blew more.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I didn't have to search and search, I can only search my family history back to a certain time and place in history where almost everyone living in that area was slaughtered regardless of innocence or guilt.
    Separate to that I don't think it is right for her to wear green in association with Ireland, and I realy thought she resembled a leprechaun stepping of that plane. I accept I am in a small minority on this.

I'd be interested in the history if you want to post it up. Maybe more general than include names as I understand names might be a bit too public.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

what did she say?

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1098819

About 24 minutes in. I can't find much insulting about it. I think the problem for some here was the fact a sense of humour doesn't travel very well. The whole evening looked pretty cringeworthy anyway.
    Westlife and Riverdance in the same building. Without being flippant, that should be illegal to broadcast without serious warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Meh. Can't see how it was insulting, though still a bit surprised she said it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1098819

About 24 minutes in. I can't find much insulting about it. I think the problem for some here was the fact a sense of humour doesn't travel very well. The whole evening looked pretty cringeworthy anyway.
    Westlife and Riverdance in the same building. Without being flippant, that should be illegal to broadcast without serious warnings.

Thinly veiled "I still have an underlying dislike of Britain and the pressure to move forward is unwelcomed" sentiments in her speech there.

I wouldn't address a guest in my house in that manner. "I know you are here now and we are getting on, but lets not forget all you have done wrong to me in the past". Sure to sour the atmosphere and the tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

If you get offended at that ffs, its called a bit of craic thats what you get in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

just had a look there wtf is offensive in that. if anybody finds that offensive they'd want to go live under a rock wrapped in cotton wool

just had a look there wtf is offensive in that. if anybody finds that offensive they'd want to go live under a rock wrapped in cotton wool

Maybe not offensive, just embarrassing and awkward.

Going on about the head of state known around the world as if she's not even there and is long dead and irrelevant to life nowadays.

Clearly tried to make it a bit of a "Get it up you Britain, your queen humbled in our country" and then trying to reverse it afterwards.

Long and overdone trip now anyway. Everyone equal now, strong bond, bad things happened, we already knew and have done for many a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Maybe not offensive, just embarrassing and awkward.

Going on about the head of state known around the world as if she's not even there and is long dead and irrelevant to life nowadays.

Clearly tried to make it a bit of a "Get it up you Britain, your queen humbled in our country" and then trying to reverse it afterwards.

Long and overdone trip now anyway. Everyone equal now, strong bond, bad things happened, we already knew and have done for many a year.

didnt find it embarrasing or awkward either im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'll be down the English Market area tomorrow hoping to get a glimpse of her. She is more than welcome to Cork. Fcuk the begrudgers.

didnt find it embarrasing or awkward either im afraid

Don't be afraid. If we all had the same reactions to things the world would be quite dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭EDudder

To be honest, I expected more of the speaches from Irish people to bring up the atrocities of the past. Not in a 'i'm not happy your here way', but in a way that respectfully acknowledges the past.

It was a bit too much "ahhh sure bad stuff was done all round the shop, who cares".

And could have done with a tad more "no seriously, disgraceful things were done, and we haven't heard one peep from your side since".

EDudder wrote: »
    To be honest, I expected more of the speaches from Irish people to bring up the atrocities of the past. Not in a 'i'm not happy your here way', but in a way that respectfully acknowledges the past.

It was a bit too much "ahhh sure bad stuff was done all round the shop, who cares".

And could have done with a tad more "no seriously, disgraceful things were done, and we haven't heard one peep from your side since".

I seem to remember David Cameron making a sincere and heartfelt apology for the shootings in Derry not so long ago.

By the way, the Queen has in the last couple of days paid more respect to the Irish people killed in the past century during our islands' conflicts than she ever has British citizen's lives in a formal and specific manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭EDudder

He did, and it was both shocking and moving tbh.

But i'm talking more about the events leading to independence in the Republic.

And while were on the topic of David Camerons apology, fair play to him. But he was in no position of power at the time. Whereas a certain someone who was sat on her behind the whole way through the troubles and let things like that happen. This is probably when she found the time to learn Irish.

To be honest, the Queens speech was more than I was expecting. But I'd have a hard time finding any sympathy if anyone thinks we weren't polite enough to her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement