Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

ISDW wrote: »
    Just watched Olivia O'Leary's speech there now, and I don't see anything wrong with it, I think it was very good. Addressed a lot of things, and was humourous in places. Don't know why people would be embarrassed or upset about it at all.:confused:

The point is why would you hold a concert for someone and then insult them. If people orgainsed a surprise birthday party for you you'd be a bit surprised if they implied they'd have liked to see you fall of your horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Skunkle wrote: »
    I didnt care about the queen coming and thought it probably will do some good. But after all this **** and the way people were so easily bought I'm ashamed to be honest. A couple of words in Irish and everyone is in love with her.

Gardai confiscating and destroying Irish flags, as people smile at the tv and profess their new found respect for the queen of England. Shocking

I didn't hear of any flag confiscated or destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Bambi wrote: »
    "i'm sorry but you appear to be talking complete gibberish, were you in a frightful accident?"

We have a winner. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I just heard a text sent into a radio station moaning about all the money being wasted in this visit....What about the millions the John ODonogue,his wife and other self proclaimed political upper class spent on themselves that in no way benefited the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Wibbs wrote: »
    What I find interesting and charged with not a little irony, is that of all people Olivia O'Leary, an oft suspected example of high westbritism has caused so many eyebrows to be raised........

She was? News to me, I have to say.

What did she do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

sollar wrote: »
    The point is why would you hold a concert for someone and then insult them. If people orgainsed a surprise birthday party for you you'd be a bit surprised if they implied they'd have liked to see you fall of your horse.

I think its funny to see anyone fall off a horse, even your friends (not to be injured of course before I get openly savaged). And anyway she was making the point that we weren't best of mates, that things use to be more difficult but now we have made huge strides forward, that was then, this is now and we are all great buddies.

I liked her speech.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nodin wrote: »
    She was? News to me, I have to say.
    Oh she's not. Not by a long shot. Comes from a seriously old stylee republican background, but I've heard a fair few eejits call her a westbrit(tm). IE educated and not sounding like an extra from Darby O'Gill and the little people = West Brit

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

LordSutch wrote: »
    I'm not sure that her speech was offensive? but I thought it was cringeworthy and I thought it was crass & out of step with the mood of the evening. Olivia putting the Queen in her place 'just in case she needed reminding' wasn't really necessary last night. Yes we know thet we dont have to curtsey or bow, but Olivia just had to stick it to the Queen, (meant to be funny no doubt), but with just enough weight to make sure the 86 year old Queen remembers that (we are not her subjects). For me it was Olivia's speech thet was the weekest part of last nights Irish entertainment, offensive? maybe not? but I didn't like it.

Given your tendency to tug the forelock, its hardly suprising somebody taking the 'liberty' of acting as one equal to another gets on your wick.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh she's not. Not by a long shot. Comes from a seriously old stylee republican background, but I've heard a fair few eejits call her a westbrit(tm). IE educated and not sounding like an extra from Darby O'Gill and the little people = West Brit

....do these people become upright when sprinting for things like the Bus, or do they maintain ground-knuckle contact at all speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Nodin wrote: »
    ....do these people become upright when sprinting for things like the Bus, or do they maintain ground-knuckle contact at all speeds?

The ground-knuckle contact is particularly severe when they're picking up a brick to fire at the gardaí.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I cannot believe there are still people questioning the importance of Her Majesty's vist and her speaking Irish.

Folks a few years ago Queen Elizabeth could not even have set one toe on our soil and here she standing on the pitch in Croke Park, laying wreaths for Irish men and giving a speech in Dublin Castle with our President at our side and speaking in Irish, which I'd hazard no monarch would have even considered before. She would not even done it herself a few years ago.

I'd truely question the intellect of anyone who cannot see what a signifigant event this is for us, both in terms of our past and our future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just watching her visit to The Rock Of Cashel,Prince Philip keeps looking up,sounds like there is a good few crows around,better watch them they could take a dump at any second

Just watching her visit to The Rock Of Cashel,Prince Philip keeps looking up,sounds like their is a good few crows around,better watch them they could take a dump at any second

He's probably wishing he had the shotgun. However for the sake of our citizens of African origin, that wouldn't be very advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

lol @ the queen just walking away mid-performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Seanbeag1 wrote: »

I think the poster is referring to the removal of the flag from "protesters". The flags they were using to attack that Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Just watching her visit to The Rock Of Cashel,Prince Philip keeps looking up,sounds like there is a good few crows around,better watch them they could take a dump at any second

Phil loves looking at the birds.

COYW wrote: »
    I think the poster is referring to the removal of the flag from "protesters". The flags they were using to attack that Gardai.

I did wonder about the Gardai confiscating tri-colours.......but obviously they had good reason so fair enough.

Although I don't think those 'protesters' should have the right to have tricolours, they are an embarresment to the country tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

She's probaly shagged out at this stage and couldn't give a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Seanbeag1 wrote: »

Found that funny as well,the choir was flat out singing

• Advertisement

Due to the pressures of her itinerary I think they said. I'm sure she'd have stayed if she could :)

ejmaztec wrote: »
    She's probaly shagged out at this stage and couldn't give a toss.

I don't know how she and Philip can keep going, their stamina is incredible. I'm sixty years younger than Her Majesty and I'd be wrecked by now!

Royal party having a couple of private moments :D

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

I did like that time at the national stud yesterday, with the poor student jockey on the simulated horse (or whatever it's called) and Philip wanted to know how fast it went and the poor kid ended up hanging onto the thing for dear life. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

DominoDub wrote: »

I'd liked to have seen the woman with the big gob who was doing the moaning, and can only imagine how threatening she looked to the Guards in the first place.

Royal party having a couple of private moments :D

Got to keep the romance alive even at 85 and 90 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

I did wonder about the Gardai confiscating tri-colours.......but obviously they had good reason so fair enough.

Although I don't think those 'protesters' should have the right to have tricolours, they are an embarresment to the country tbh.

Very generalist comment

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

Can someone post up what Olivia O'Leary said in her speech?

Polster wrote: »
    Very generalist comment

Meaning?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

DominoDub wrote: »

That video has already been completely discredited.

If you read the comments on the troublemaker's YouTube page, you'll realise that all dissenting comments have been deleted, and in addition it points out that the pole was taken

Now, if MadameK had the flag "in her pocket", as she claims, what the f**k was she doing with a pole ?

Of course, said pole doesn't appear anywhere in the craftily-edited video, and the confiscation of said pole doesn't appear anywhere either.

Guess the bastardised propaganda version of the truth is better for those with an agenda.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement