Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

I thought the choir did a great job with singing and the choice of song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gumbo_old

sollar wrote: »
    The point is why would you hold a concert for someone and then insult them. If people orgainsed a surprise birthday party for you you'd be a bit surprised if they implied they'd have liked to see you fall of your horse.

I've just watched it on rte player and theres nothing wrong at all in anything she said. Its quite a good speech I think. The reference to the falling off the horse is, I believe, referring to the queen riding side saddle and how precarious that looks.

I'm English and would rather have an elected head of state but she's not done a bad job on this trip I'd have to admit. I wish they'd let Phil off the lead though, its not a royal visit unless a minority group is insulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

Meaning?

To call every protestor who had a TriColour an embarrassment, I agree a lot of wasters that Sky will inevitably highlight were/are an embarrassment, but there have been genuine peaceful protestors to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

Skunkle wrote: »
    I didnt care about the queen coming and thought it probably will do some good. But after all this **** and the way people were so easily bought I'm ashamed to be honest. A couple of words in Irish and everyone is in love with her.

Gardai confiscating and destroying Irish flags, as people smile at the tv and profess their new found respect for the queen of England. Shocking
    It's been an embarrassing few days alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Polster wrote: »
    To call every protestor who had a TriColour an embarrassment, I agree a lot of wasters that Sky will inevitably highlight were/are an embarrassment, but there have been genuine peaceful protestors to.

I wasn't refering to every protester. I meant those 'wasters' who missied the irony of protesting whilst wearing english soccor jersey.

There may have been peaceful protesters but I didn't see them so can't comment on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    That video has already been completely discredited.Of course, said pole doesn't appear anywhere in the craftily-edited video, and the confiscation of said pole doesn't appear anywhere either.Guess the bastardised propaganda version of the truth is better for those with an agenda.

She graduated top of her class at Indymedia.

Yet another who cannot see how this visit has been anything but an embarresment.

Can you really not see the signifigance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    That video has already been completely discredited.

If you read the comments on the troublemaker's YouTube page, you'll realise that all dissenting comments have been deleted, and in addition it points out that the pole was taken

Now, if MadameK had the flag "in her pocket", as she claims, what the f**k was she doing with a pole ?

Of course, said pole doesn't appear anywhere in the craftily-edited video, and the confiscation of said pole doesn't appear anywhere either.

Guess the bastardised propaganda version of the truth is better for those with an agenda.
    The 'lady ' was obviously out to provoke a reaction or why else would she be videoing the entire episode complete with a close up of the Garda.
    And I quote (or paraphrase as i cant watch it again.) "Im being arrested for having an irish flag". Ummmmmmm. Who was arresting her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I tried to add a comment to that video but it never got approved

She pre approves every comment and of course she is only going to show the comments that support her

So if you read the comments don't think everyone on youtube is backing her

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Yeah. Some folk have no appreciation of hand me down hatred and clinging to old grudges punctuated with the odd bit of violence. FOR SHAME!!!:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

God i pity the queen sitting through that crap yesterday

first up was Xfactor finalist Mary Byrne then followed by westlife (the worst thing to happen to ireland since the potato famine!)

And that lady speaking trying to crack jokes was horrendous, tubos was like chris rock in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Delighted with the Queen's visit. She has shown a lot of interest in our history and seems to be having a good time. As for people protesting well thats there right but it has totally backfired with all the scum attaching themselves to them. We have gone through a lot of misery the last few years with those bastards in Government but i think this visit has lifted us up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The 'lady ' was obviously out to provoke a reaction or why else would she be videoing the entire episode complete with a close up of the Garda.
    And I quote (or paraphrase as i cant watch it again.) "Im being arrested for having an irish flag". Ummmmmmm. Who was arresting her?

This is the type of stuff that completely undermines actual protests (e.g. Shell to Sea, objections to the U.S. abusing Shannon, etc)

She had a pole (separate to the flag)
    She has no reference to said pole anywhere in the video
    She deliberately targetted the young Garda by putting the camera in her face (you can see her focus in on a second, possibly more savvy, older Garda and then changing her mind before somehow catching the attention of the young Garda with the pole)
    She wasn't being arrested
    She had a video camera and proceeded to shout lies to the queue

Even if she hadn't had a pole or flag she's obviously a troublemaker and if she hadn't been challenged by a Garda then the Gardai wouldn't have been doing their jobs.

Which is more important - spotting poles or spotting troublemakers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

Yet another who cannot see how this visit has been anything but an embarresment.

Can you really not see the signifigance?
    The elite will see it but others who struggle on a daily basis to put food on the table and to keep the heat on could'nt give a hoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Did Mary Byrne sing This is a Mans World last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 timhorgan

Why was the Colonel wearing the regimental tie of the Royal Irish Fusiliers.

He never served so he had no right whatsoever to be wearing it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxwellphotographydublin/5733703312/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

timhorgan wrote: »

haha

"Your Supreme Majesty, please say hello to Mrs. Windsor of Buckingham"

I can't believe she didn't courtesy

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭NomdePlume

Disappointing that she was brought all the way to Cashel and then not shown Cormac's chapel. :confused:

It's the main point of interest there, I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Its amasing what this trip has done. Its shown that there is now only a small minority in the ROI that want violence to continue. Most people i have talked to are fairly happy with the queens arrival, Myself included.

I was very happy with her speach the other night. I also think its great to see her enjoying herself and being accepted by the irish people. Also when ever i see her driving past any people she is waving at them. This is an 85 year old woman- yes she's been looked after all her life but to have the enthusiasm to keep going is great to see.

Most of the poeple protesting are scum of the earth. They have nothing to add to society as they mostly just want an excuse for a riot. I remember the Love ulster parade a few years ago- which was a stupid idea hellbent on getting a reaction, and by god the knackers fell for it. This visit from the queen isnt to incite a reaction but to accpet we are neighbours and we are very impotant to each other economically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

pauro 76 wrote: »
    Can someone post up what Olivia O'Leary said in her speech?

Olivia O'Learys speech about the queen and her "jokes" , and tone of voice, at the Queens expense went down like a lead baloon. As someone else said, Tommy Tiernan could not insult the Queen better.
    Surely someone should have looked at O'Learys speech beforehand ?

• Advertisement

The elite will see it but others who struggle on a daily basis to put food on the table and to keep the heat on could'nt give a hoot.

Thanks for raising me to the Elite level. When will I get shown the secret handshake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You dare hold Colonel Myarse to the laws of Ordinary men? Were it not for him there would be no Queens visit, no peace, no invention of the wheel.....

And you know this for a fact do you?

Of course you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

pauro 76 wrote: »
    Can someone post up what Olivia O'Leary said in her speech?

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1098819

25 minutes in or so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Stop complaining the trip has being a great success , most people have enjoyed it , well done everybody involved.

Why was the Colonel wearing the regimental tie of the Royal Irish Fusiliers.He never served so he had no right whatsoever to be wearing it.

The wearing of regimental ties is discretionary. They are sometimes worn by relatives of people/or in memory of people who have served in said regiment although that is sometimes frowned upon. As long as you're not trying to pass yourself off as a member. Also Myers could be a member of the Regimental Association, (you do not need to have actually served to do this) and some regiments allow members to wear the tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 whadyasay

Congrats, no invasion needed, just a little tv and cultural shame. Well done. Oh i must be a backwards idiot. Rule Britannia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Just watched it there and it's nicely nuanced and balanced!

Can't for the life of me see how anyone could possibly take offence at that!

whadyasay wrote: »
    Congrats, no invasion needed, just a little tv and cultural shame. Well done. Oh i must be a backwards idiot. Rule Britannia.

This makes no sense :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

decies wrote: »
    Stop complaining, the trip has being a great success , most people have enjoyed it , well done everybody involved.

FYP:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement