Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    My head hurts, and the graves of Barry, Hurley, Mac Suibhne, MacCurtain and all the rest have turned. So this, a competition between Cork and Dublin over who can be the most sycophantic to the British queen, is what has become of the so-called "rebel" county? From the sweet mellifluous Irish of Baile Bhuirne to the sean nós tradition of Cúil Aodha to the poetry of Eoghan Rua Ó Súilleabháin and the poetic class which inspired Daniel Corkery's Hidden Ireland to the heroism of the people of Cork who fought against British colonial rule in Cath Chéim an Fhia, Kilmichael and Crossbarry - what of those noble, selfless sons and daughters of Cork and Ireland now? Where is their place in the new Cork?

In the new Cork, according to Mr Cork Man (Eoghan Harris?), being more keen on the British royal family is a sign of its superiority to Dublin. Graves turning everywhere where a true Cork person is buried.

If you don't hate the British, you ain't truly Irish eh?

I must not be truly Irish then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

We can't end this thread until Philip gets home and insults the entire nation to the British media

We will ever get feedback as to what they thought of "us" over here during their trip and if they really enjoyed it or was it just another trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

I am one very proud son of Cork today with how we showed the rest of the country how to treat a visiting head of state.

that wouldn't be a state visit just a regular holiday at Coolmore!

Down with that sort of thing !!:)
    I am one very proud son of Cork today with how we showed the rest of the country how to treat a visiting head of state.

Oh build a bridge, and get over it !:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    If you don't hate the British, you ain't truly Irish eh? I must not be truly Irish then.

Oh the stupidity. Of course, because opposing foreign rule in your country and its attendant cultural destruction and savagery is akin to hating the foreigners from the same country? Yes, well done. Example: you hate Nazism; this means you hate the German people? I hate British imperialism; this means I hate the British people?

Impeccable logic. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Show Time wrote: »

id actually be embarrased, waving union jacks and the like, just the same as itll bve embarrasing with them waving the stars nd stripes next week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

If that's a "new low" you must live a very sheltered existence.

No my existence is just fine. I'm just amazed at how low in the barrel you'll go to try and scrape something to get offended by. Especially when it's nothing out of the ordinary whatsoever. If I had the option of a sheltered existence or one defined by bitterness and stupidity I'd choose sheltered by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

prinz wrote: »
    No my existence is just fine. I'm just amazed at how low in the barrel you'll go....

With all due respect, you'll just have to grow up, then. Being "amazed" at anything is a really juvenile response to the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh the stupidity. Of course, because opposing foreign rule in your country and its attendant cultural destruction and savagery is akin to hating the foreigners from the same country? Yes, well done. Example: you hate Nazism; this means you hate the German people? I hate British imperialism; this means I hate the British people?

Completely agree - just because some people don't agree with British imperialism etc and can't forgive what happened over the last 800 years that means they hate British people - what rubbish.

To be honest I couldn't care less if she came or not but the arse licking by some people is too much. One woman in cork was out with her union jack flag and mug!! I mean come on that is crossing a line. I mean fair enough if you wanna go see her but don't be gushing over her like she's God!

I just don't get this fascination around the monarchy and also this woman has been head of the British Army for the last 60 years - a lot of the atrocities carried out by the british army have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Bewteen welcoming Liam McCarthy and Sam Maguire over the years we know how to treat royalty well in Cork.:pac:

• Advertisement

Completely agree - just because some people don't agree with British imperialism etc and can't forgive what happened over the last 800 years that means they hate British people - what rubbish.

To be honest I couldn't care less if she came or not but the arse licking by some people is too much. One woman in cork was out with her union jack flag and mug!! I mean come on that is crossing a line. I mean fair enough if you wanna go see her but don't be gushing over her like she's God!

I just don't get this fascination around the monarchy and also this woman has been head of the British Army for the last 60 years - a lot of the atrocities carried out by the british army in northern ireland have happened On her watch so you can understand why a lot of people here would be bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

vicwatson wrote: »
    We will ever get feedback as to what they thought of "us" over here during their trip and if they really enjoyed it or was it just another trip?
    Always thought fishing for compliments, was a sign of an inferiority complex.

I suppose those 800 years did leave their mark!

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Bewteen welcoming Liam McCarthy and Sam Maguire over the years we know how to treat royalty well in Cork.pacman.gif

We talkin' about the same Sam Maguire and the same Cork people that almost left his birth home in ruins and wouldn't pay for it to be brought up to scratch and keep it from ruination ?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

So when does the huge tourism boom start? Today or Tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 OnAndUp

wilson10 wrote: »
    Your wan just happens to be a legend in Irish journalism, some people don't seem to have have gotten the humour, wit and irony, I did and I'm damn sure there' s no one enjoyed it more than the Queen.

Your wan is a legend in RTE only... where mediocrity prevails, if a comedian was wanted, why not get somebody from the comedy world, if a talented world renowned speaker/writer was required Seamus Heaney was to hand, If somebody purporting to represent the Irish people was needed then RTE is the place to go...

The queen did not speak to Olivia at the end, but OOL spoke to her which again was inappropriate. If the Queen was entertained by OOL surely she would have said a word there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

leahyl wrote: »

Why not if she wants to. Maybe she is British. Even if she isn't, so what, maybe she does the same for Jedward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Bewteen welcoming Liam McCarthy and Sam Maguire over the years we know how to treat royalty well in Cork.:pac:

Did we not talk about using meaningless sporting achievements as armour in a forum discussion as been ridiculous before? And your from Youghal, that might aswell be Waterford its so far away from anything of importance in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    If you don't hate the British, you ain't truly Irish eh?

I must not be truly Irish then.

you sound like yer man in the ad

Peanut wrote: »
    Why not if she wants to. Maybe she is British. Even if she isn't, so what, maybe she does the same for Jedward.

If she's British fair enough but if not then why wasn't she waving the tricolour? Proud of her country and city - welcoming the Queen to Ireland. I'm pretty sure she was Irish and therefore, IMO, it was very inapproriate to be waving a union jack around - a step too far. But we all have different views I guess:)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

CHealy wrote: »
    Did we not talk about using meaningless sporting achievements as armour in a forum discussion as been ridiculous before? And your from Youghal, that might aswell be Waterford its so far away from anything of importance in Cork.

Oh blaa blaa Mr Christ Cooney a proud Youghal man(although he is a big frank murphy man) did a great job at representing the county.Unlike that powder pisser Nicky Brennan who was groping the queen like some lust filled maniac.:pac:

map_cork.gif

There's a lot more to this county than the lovely city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Gypsies

OnAndUp wrote: »
    patronising, cringeworthy, who chooses these people, mediocrity sees greatness in mediocrity

I agree. I was wondering did anybody else take offence to what Gay Byrne said after Olivia O'Leary's likewise disrespectful ditty. I'd love to know which female Government Minister said between gritted teeth that she would not bow. O'Leary made at least 2 references to not bowing before the Queen. IMO, The Queen is The Queen & it is a respectful gesture to bow to her - I also understand and realise that there are people out there who would not wish to do so and if they feel like that, then they should not agree to meet with Her. Since the event was hosted by Her Majesty, I would have expected O'Leary to have more respect for her. I was disappointed with Gay Byrne's comments too..

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Gypsies

Show Time wrote: »
    And so you should be - It was a great day for Cork.. :)

Gypsies wrote: »
    I agree. I was wondering did anybody else take offence to what Gay Byrne said after Olivia O'Leary's likewise disrespectful ditty. I'd love to know which female Government Minister said between gritted teeth that she would not bow. O'Leary made at least 2 references to not bowing before the Queen. IMO, The Queen is The Queen & it is a respectful gesture to bow to her - I also understand and realise that there are people out there who would not wish to do so and if they feel like that, then they should not agree to meet with Her. Since the event was hosted by Her Majesty, I would have expected O'Leary to have more respect for her. I was disappointed with Gay Byrne's comments too..

People who don't want to bow to her shouldn't meet her? Foreigners aren't expected to bow to the queen so they aren't doing anything wrong if they don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

My head hurts, and the graves of Barry, Hurley, Mac Suibhne, MacCurtain and all the rest have turned.

The situation in the north notwithstanding, but as soldiers Barry and Hurley 90 years after achieving freedom for their homes, would be magnaminous in their victory and welcome the head of their old enemy with true professionalism.
    To quote MacSwiney from his writings, Principals of freedom .
    It is a spiritual appeal, then, that primarily moves us. We are urged to
    action by a beautiful ideal. The motive force must be likewise true and
    beautiful. It is love of country that inspires us; not hate of the enemy
    and desire for full satisfaction for the past.

IMO, The Queen is The Queen & it is a respectful gesture to bow to her

Irish people aren't subjects of the Queen of Britain and do not have to courtsy or bow their heads

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

CiaranC wrote: »
    So when does the huge tourism boom start? Today or Tomorrow?

Next thursday but dublin will only attract the scum tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

The government during the British Queen's visit has been blocking access to certain Web sites and domains who were informing the public of what was really happening on the visit, as opposed to the British state broadcaster RTE. The Irish scum state government are now makeing permanent, the use of these filters to serve a range of uses, like blocking filesharing sites and alternative political publications.
    Internet blocking in the non-free Irish state is creating many problems for ordinary law abiding citizens of the scum state and in British occupied Ireland. For example, legitimate internet users and businesses are suffering considerable side-effects of domain blocking, where barred access to domains have shut down thousands of personal and business Web sites along e-mail addresses connected to them. Freedom of Information requests for Government disclosure, are consistently refused by the Department of Justice without any legal basis. Repressive regimes like Britain have taught the compliant neo-colonial compliant Irish state how to implement it along with turning on Internet filters.

Any thoughts on this did you notice many sites being blocked over the past week?

Rest of the bile filled and less than coherent article here:

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/9159982-ignorant-ireland-a-nonfree-scum-state#parent_comment_div

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Gypsies wrote: »
    Bowing to the queen is bowing to an unelected relic, and furthers the myth that some people are more important than others because of an accident of birth.

If people want to harp on about equality, you don't bow like a subservient fool to an equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

id actually be embarrased, waving union jacks and the like, just the same as itll bve embarrasing with them waving the stars nd stripes next week
    Unlike certain parts of Ireland the people of Cork had no issues in welcoming the Queen and Prince Philip.
    It must be remembered that it was thanks to the people of Cork that the other 25 counties were able to enjoy the fruits of this Republic of Ireland.

It also says all you really need to know about the difference in both Cork and Dublin that the she was comfortable to walk around in the real capital and not in Dublin where you had all the trouble makers in their English preimership tops causing hassle.

• Advertisement

It also says all you really need to know about the difference in both Cork and Dublin that the she was comfortable to walk around in the real capital and not in Dublin where you had all the trouble makers in their English preimership tops causing hassle.

As I said earlier - Build a bridge and get over it !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement