Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Bowing to the queen is bowing to an unelected relic, and furthers the myth that some people are more important than others because of an accident of birth.

If people want to harp on about equality, you don't bow like a subservient fool to an equal.

Agree though I'd point out some people would act exactly the same if a respected movie/music star were in that position. The feeling of inferiority demonstrated is more because of their fame than anything to do with status I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

vicwatson wrote: »
    As I said earlier - Build a bridge and get over it !
    Did not see that post sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Show Time wrote: »
    she was comfortable to walk around in the real capital and not in Dublin where you had all the trouble makers in their English preimership tops causing hassle.

I never knew me and the queen of england had something in common! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Olivia O'Leary spoke as if the Queen wasn't in the same room. All her taking about refusing to curtsy and mentioning the government minister who said likewise was not humorous, it was bloody rude. We know you don't have to do it, but there is no need to harp on about it to her face. The stuff about the horse was pathetic. I was half expecting her to say - "We still hate you really."

What will she do next, make a speech about Obama and keep mentioning that he is black?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

prince philip would be my "no-strings" man. he rocks my world.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Computer Sci

There really are some of the worst displays of faux outrage and nonsense in this thread that it would make anyone with even the mildest tint of logic cringe. This state is an independent state and has been so for nearly nine decades. We run our own affairs, we make our own decisions whether internally, or externally with the EU, UN etc. The nation which we live in today exists because there were men and women who believed in a cause and were willing to risk their lives with weapons in hand to achieve this goal.

I think it fair to say, that the birth of nations is a violent process, and that the fighters on the non-official side, whether it be in the French Revolution or the Irish War of Independence etc. put themselves in great danger in taking on the might of officialdom and it’s backing from the armed forces, whether on land or the navy at sea. Many of the people sprouting nonsense on this thread wouldn’t even have the ability, or the bravery to take on a few unarmed Gardai in the city centre – never mind risk their lives in a war with another country.

Our country is officially a nation along with all the other nations of the World and Europe. We have more in common in this sense with France and Italy, than we do with Scotland or Wales.

It has all been done, and is already achieved – I wish these keyboard warriors with their faux outrage would just dry up and acknowledge the fact there is another head of state, visiting our state here in Ireland, and that we should respect them regardless of who they are. Again, it’s probably even more ironic given that many of them (a) support Man United/ Liverpool, (b) watch British television soaps etc. If they were so outraged and disgusted by all things British, wouldn’t they avoid such outlets of entertainment like the plague?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

vicwatson wrote: »
    As I said earlier - Build a bridge and get over it !

Are you saying that if the Dublin part of the trip went as well as the Cork part you would'nt gloat?? Please, dont give us that crap.

It was a great day for the city, and the two hours she spent here, along with the hour at the garden of rememberence, will be the highlights of her trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Semtex Sean

Don't try to fool yourself with that real capital of Ireland crap. The fawning idoatrous crowds in Cork disgraced themselves. Of course there are thousands of honourable exceptions, but there were swarms of seaneens to be seen like no where else. The real truth is that Cork has shown itself for what it is, a desperate provincial city, desperate for attention, desperate to prostitute itself and it's honourable history for a fleeting glimpse, of what to it's moronic citizenry is the big celebrity. Nevermind that the British monarch failed to apologiose for war crimes comitted by crown force, atrocities that are still just within living memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

prince philip would be my "no-strings" man. he rocks my world.;)

He used to be mine, but his performance on this trip was disappointing.

I was hoping for at least:

"You potato-[n word] have spent a lot of other people's money on our trip in the name of tourism promotion, haven't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Bowing to the queen is bowing to an unelected relic, and furthers the myth that some people are more important than others because of an accident of birth.

If people want to harp on about equality, you don't bow like a subservient fool to an equal.

Unable to distinguish between respect and equality? Doesn't surprise me, your dark day thinking surely fits nicely with the republican protesters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Happy to see Her Maj enjoying Cork :)
    Another happy tourist sent home

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

There really are some of the worst displays of faux outrage and nonsense in this thread that it would make anyone with even the mildest tint of logic cringe. This state is an independent state and has been so for nearly nine decades. We run our own affairs, we make our own decisions whether internally, or externally with the EU, UN etc. The nation which we live in today exists because there were men and women who believed in a cause and were willing to risk their lives with weapons in hand to achieve this goal.

I think it fair to say, that the birth of nations is a violent process, and that the fighters on the non-official side, whether it be in the French Revolution or the Irish War of Independence etc. put themselves in great danger in taking on the might of officialdom and it’s backing from the armed forces, whether on land or the navy at sea. Many of the people sprouting nonsense on this thread wouldn’t even have the ability, or the bravery to take on a few unarmed Gardai in the city centre – never mind risk their lives in a war with another country.

Our country is officially a nation along with all the other nations of the World and Europe. We have more in common in this sense with France and Italy, than we do with Scotland or Wales.

It has all been done, and is already achieved – I wish these keyboard warriors with their faux outrage would just dry up and acknowledge the fact there is another head of state, visiting our state here in Ireland, and that we should respect them regardless of who they are. Again, it’s probably even more ironic given that many of them (a) support Man United/ Liverpool, (b) watch British television soaps etc. If they were so outraged and disgusted by all things British, wouldn’t they avoid such outlets of entertainment like the
    plague?

I for one never once said I was outraged and disgusted by all things British - I just don't think the head of the British army should be visiting Croke Park considering the history, and I don't think our citizens should be waving around the union jack - a lot of people on here just want to forget what happened and 'move on' and a lot of people don't - I just can't get over the amount of arse licking as I said before - how quickly our fraught history with the British empire is forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Don't try to fool yourself with that real capital of Ireland crap. The fawning idoatrous crowds in Cork disgraced themselves. Of course there are thousands of honourable exceptions, but there were swarms of seaneens to be seen like no where else. The real truth is that Cork has shown itself for what it is, a desperate provincial city, desperate for attention, desperate to prostitute itself and it's honourable history for a fleeting glimpse, of what to it's moronic citizenry is the big celebrity. Nevermind that the British monarch failed to apologiose for war crimes comitted by crown force, atrocities that are still just within living memory.

Its fellas like you why we keep going on with the "real capital" crap, thanks for taking the bait.

And why would you consider putting on a good show for a state visit as a cry for attention??

Are you sure its not you looking for the attention on a forum?? Hardly, cause that would be really sad wouldnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Im sorry that we didn't have gangs of junkie scum throwing fireworks all over the place.Relax you filthy spoonburner just light up you're heroin joint and relax.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Grow up to fcuk

CHealy wrote: »
    Are you saying that if the Dublin part of the trip went as well as the Cork part you would'nt gloat?? Please, dont give us that crap.

It was a great day for the city, and the two hours she spent here, along with the hour at the garden of rememberence, will be the highlights of her trip.

And of course the visit to Croke Park.Id say Prince Phillip would do a better job at full forward than Michael Cussen.:pac:

Grow up to fcuk
    The truth hurts, if the reations to my my comment are anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

rofl?

Poor inner city jackeen.:pac:

2D69846A61FADECFD7704F715A56AB.jpg

Pwned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Im sorry that we didn't have gangs of junkie scum throwing fireworks all over the place.Relax you filthy spoonburner just light up you're heroin joint and relax.:pac:

Yeah, all republicans are heroin addicts:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

leahyl wrote: »
    I for one never once said I was outraged and disgusted by all things British - I just don't think the head of the British army should be visiting Croke Park considering the history, and I don't think our citizens should be waving around the union jack - a lot of people on here just want to forget what happened and 'move on' and a lot of people don't - I just can't get over the amount of arse licking as I said before - how quickly our fraught history with the British empire is forgotten.

these posts are getting tedious. Those against the visit to Croke park delight in planting the idea that the rest of the world is 'forgetting' what happened in the past.

That is clearly not true. Has this week not all been about 'remembering'! What was the Queen doing bowing her head to the rebels if not showing the ultimate gesture of 'respect' and 'remembering'. No-one, in all the comment about moving forward and building bridges, has suggested forgetting the past!!

So stop putting words in our mouths please.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Are you saying that if the Dublin part of the trip went as well as the Cork part you would'nt gloat?? Please, dont give us that crap

Yup ! But don't need to as it went far better than the Cork "2 hours". One cannot compare like with like anyway as there wasn't the opportunity to "mingle" with the crowds of "ordinary" people.

As stated earlier if you read all the thread I'm not from Dublin or living there for that matter.

We're all God's children Terence remember !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

steve9859 wrote: »
    these posts are getting tedious. Those against the visit to Croke park delight in planting the idea that the rest of the world is 'forgetting' what happened in the past.

That is clearly not true. Has this week not all been about 'remembering'! What was the Queen doing bowing her head to the rebels if not showing the ultimate gesture of 'respect' and 'remembering'. No-one, in all the comment about moving forward and building bridges, has suggested forgetting the past!!

So stop putting words in our mouths please.

Just like no one has said that they are outraged and disgusted by all things British so maybe those that posted that shouldn't be putting words in our mouths.....

Look we're not going to agree here so we may as well just agree to disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

the next time a member of the royal family comes to visit, could the people of cork try to arrange a few scumbags complete with full uniform ie tracksuits, peak caps, dutch gold, to protest and riot around the city centre? obviously make sure its not dole day either as i think that put a dent in the arranged protests in dublin. we must learn from this guys! cmon people of cork! dublin beat us on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

When she bowed her head earlier in the week with the wreath, it was predominately Corkmen she gave homage to, we just acknowledged that. :)

Ha ha love it!

I had no intention of going into town today but what can i say? she's been very impressive over the last few days,she's shown our country the utmost respect,i thought she deserved a proper welcome.......does this mean ive forgotten our shared history overnight?? of course not,but any sensible(sane)adult knows this needs time,do we really want to be carrying hatred and bitterness around with us and into every next generation?? i dont and the vast majority dont either.......Ireland has come out of this very well(Cork in particular....what? its not gloating if its true!)

This was a great trip for all concerned(and i say that as someone who was totally indifferent to it right up until she landed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Vilified

True republicans don't feel the way a lot of people here seem to. They recognise how far Irish and British relations have come and understand that the way forward is through democracy, consensus and debate, not through entitlement reinforced by militant action.

'Respect', 'pride', and even 'patriotism' are all words that mean many different things to many different people.

The truth is, we live in a democratic nation and people who disagree with the visit of the Queen are entitled to their opinion under law, just as those who do not mind are entitled to be the majority of the population.

If you are taking up arms or attacking with physical force any foreign dignitary in Ireland, you should have the backing of the democratic majority. Doing otherwise makes you a terrorist, and in our society ignorance is no excuse, due to our access to huge amounts of information.

If you want to disagree, protest, debate or argue the issue I will support your right for that. Don't expect no counter debate or argument however. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Our country is officially a nation along with all the other nations of the World and Europe.... It has all been done, and is already achieved

Can we take from this that you're not from, for instance, Tyrone or Fermanagh, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I wish these keyboard warriors with their faux outrage...

If your above post is anything to go on, they've now met their match.

the next time a member of the royal family comes to visit, could the people of cork try to arrange a few scumbags complete with full uniform ie tracksuits, peak caps, dutch gold, to protest and riot around the city centre? obviously make sure its not dole day either as i think that put a dent in the arranged protests in dublin. we must learn from this guys! cmon people of cork! dublin beat us on this!
    The moniker "Rebel County" is now defunct, to be replaced with the Queen's own county, and wil rebel without a clue become queen without a clue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

The moniker "Rebel County" is now defunct, to be replaced with the Queen's own county, and wil rebel without a clue become queen without a clue?

The moniker "Semtex Sean" is now defunct, to be replaced with "Stop and searched Sean".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement