Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It was prepared in advance?

You mean it wasn't just ad libbed, as the evil media would have us believe?

It shows how pointless her making an outright apology would have been, because those with an axe to grind wouldn't have believed that the apology was genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 qwertyuiopa

Usertaken wrote: »
    Final point & I'll leave Mickey in peace.

I'm from West Cork - there's not a man alive in my village who didn't lose someone in the War Independence or Civil War so don't pretend to know what I do or don't know.

As for your other point - I direct you to their leader who was from and was killed in......................

Good night to you, enjoy the weekend.

Firstly,I like Cork and its people,just took a bit of exception to your attack on us Dubs.

Also I didnt protest the queens visit as you implied,I just stayed at home.

Hope this post is ok moderator?

ShadowGal wrote: »
    They're dropping like flies in here ;)

This day shall be henceforth nown as "Bloody Friday".:(

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

im outta her too. imagine if she did actually apologise, fall on her kness and beg for forgiveness and acknowledge everything ye want her to acnowledge. what would ye do then? i mean ye would actually have nothing to do!! ye'd be walking the streets with hands in pockets with a bewildered look.

ciao ciao all ye "bar stool republicans".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

RonMexico wrote: »
    Olivia O'Leary spoke as if the Queen wasn't in the same room. All her taking about refusing to curtsy and mentioning the government minister who said likewise was not humorous, it was bloody rude. We know you don't have to do it, but there is no need to harp on about it to her face. The stuff about the horse was pathetic. I was half expecting her to say - "We still hate you really."

What will she do next, make a speech about Obama and keep mentioning that he is black?
    ............AND... ..............had you watched her speech to the end you would see where she did a full 360 and explained why perhaps we shouldnt have a problem with a curtsy.
    Fine clever and (too? )intelligent speech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Usertaken wrote: »
    Final point & I'll leave Mickey in peace.

Good night to you, enjoy the weekend.

Banned.

Hope this post is ok moderator?

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

40" in what langer said that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

im outta her too. imagine if she did actually apologise, fall on her kness and beg for forgiveness and acknowledge everything ye want her to acnowledge. what would ye do then? i mean ye would actually have nothing to do!! ye'd be walking the streets with hands in pockets with a bewildered look.

ciao ciao all ye "bar stool republicans".

whats the point of apoligising for anything while you are still commiting the offence. will the next king be in libyia, iraq or afghanistan apoligising in fifty years time. actions speak louder than words. time to give back what they stole 600 years ago all of it this time ( dont suppose a fine gael goverment would accept it now either)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The fact that there was less of an idiot contingency in Cork is not symptomatic of how "decent and noble Cork people are" or of how Cork people are "royalists" ffs. Yes, because of street names and because of what a few people did historically, Cork people have royalism "in their blood" - mother of Jesus...

It's just a very happy conclusion to the visit that there were no twats - Cork has the same amount of them as anywhere else has. They may have decided not to bother causing a ruckus when they saw where it got their counterparts in Dublin.

But using this as fodder for going on about how much more civil than Dubs we Cork people are - get a grip and think like adults...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Trigger happy much? :D

• Advertisement

whats the point of apoligising for anything while you are still commiting the offence.
    So if she were to say "One wishes that Northern Ireland become part of Ireland again" it will just happen? Or maybe be realistic and consider the fact that she has sod-all influence on the situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Dublin, nice place. I go every now and then to watch a match or catch a gig. Usually get on well with Dubliner's except the ross o'carroll kelly types, but we have those too.

Visit of British Queen, most people in Cork think its an important symbol of the British monorchys acceptance of the equality of the Irish state. Most Cork people like British people and want her visit to go well as it could lead to an increase in tourism and a more positive perception of the country abroad. As a sign of the friendship between the countrys, people who were having lunchbreaks, in town anyhow or kids brought out from school lined a stretch of road to welcome her.

There are over twice as many peple in Dublin as there are in Cork. Dubliner's in general dont travel to Cork much and wouldnt be all that knowledgable about the place or care. In fact there are plenty of Dubliners who when it comes to Ireland dont look beyond Dublin. Cork had a population more then the next three largest combined counties before the famine and has a tradition of the same mentality so there are still those who when it comes to Ireland dont look beyond Cork.
    Both of these sets really need to Kop on and stop being such a bunch on introverted fools. The two counties have much more in common then most other counties. To read the nonsense posted back and forth in this and a million other threads is nauseating.

Think Cork did well with the visit today. I think if Dubliners / people from any other Irish city had the opportunity theyd have done the exact same.

The protesters in Dublin didnt look the best. The ones in Cork today were a very similar group but were drowned out.

As for past battles. Get a life. Dublin, Cork, Waterford etc etc were not catholic Irish cities back in the day and were loyalist.

In 1916 Dublin took the lead but there were plenty from other parts of the country there too and if it wasnt for mis managed communications there would hae been plenty of others.

War of Independence. Certain counties were far more active then others especially Cork, Tipperary, Limerick, Clare, Longford and believe it or not Dublin too. Its generally accepted that activity was largely dependant on the initiative of the local commanders. While Cork would have been the most active place only one of the three brigades was led by a Corkonian - Tom Barry. Lynch and Moylan were both from Limerick though Lynch was a stones throw over the border.

We have a lovely country with lots of great towns, cities etc and Id love if some people on this website felt able to compliment somewhere beyond their hometown

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I will make one post on this, i think ive posted once or twice on this earlier, but the one thing i do want to say about this is as follows..

The proudest ive ever been as an Irish man was the day England played Ireland in Croke park for the first time.. There was great tension at the thought of GSTQ being played there and the history involved. The reaction of the Irish people - the fans at that game was the one time i my heart burst with pride for my country, you could not hear a pin drop in the stadium, i was listening to the BBC radio in the car on the way to dublin that night and the amount of english people that commented on our reaction and how suprised they were and how much they respected us for it made me genuinely proud of my fellow irish men and women.

This was followed a close second by the people of cork today, the people of the rebel county, whos history in Irelands independance cannot be ignored, the way they weclomed her, again was something to be proud of.

We dont forget the heros of our history but we also have not to dwell on history, we acknowledge our history but we wont be bound by it.

This visit, and the reactions from it will benefit this country, particularly now, a time when we need it.

Its a giant step to a better future and an answer to Sinn Fein that they dont speak for the Irish people - you had a good election, not because of you policies, but because of the incompitance of others.

If you want to call me a west brit, or think im less irish for having a passive welcoming for the queen i have a big giant "**** YOU" for you.

Yep, I'm glad the visit went well and seemed a pleasant and positive occasion. I'm opposed to the concept of monarchy and would be fairly indifferent to the queen - seems like a sweet auld dear but I wouldn't be into the curtseying and "ma'am" stuff - however I admit there was something about this pretty monumental and bridge-building event that gave me a nice warm and fuzzy feeling. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    So lads, when will the ten million tourists arrive? How will we spend our new found wealth?

Well, they are more likely to visit Ireland to see the sites that Queen Elizabeth went to, than for a tour of the Troubles http://www.big-e-taxitours.com/ which is the best the Nordies can offer. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Dudess wrote: »
    Yep, I'm glad the visit went well and seemed a pleasant and positive occasion. I'm opposed to the concept of monarchy and would be fairly indifferent to the queen - seems like a sweet auld dear but I wouldn't be into the curtseying and "ma'am" stuff - however I admit there was something about this pretty monumental and bridge-building event that gave me a nice warm and fuzzy feeling. :)

I think that speaks for most of us. We have not forgotten the past, but we have grown up as a nation and moved on. I felt very proud as an Irishman how well the trip was received by the vast majority and how well this projected in such a positive light on the world stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Alastriona73

Thank God this whole farce is now over with. We have had our media dominated with this topic for 4 whole days. While there were some people against the visit and some all for the visit the vast majority had no interest at all. If you were to believe the media you would swear we were all overcome with excitement at the thought of this visit. Over the last 4 days at my workplace, at social events and at the school gates not once was this visit brought up in conversation. I had to stop watching telly or listening to the radio as it appeared nothing else was going on in the world. Frankly if RTE coverage of events was based on the amount of people actually interested in the topic it would have only got a 5 minute slot on the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Muck Jack

I wonder what Queen Elizabeth and Philip thought of their trip. I feel sorry for them, they're old and they don't even get a rest, next week they have to offer B&B to the Obama's on their pre-election 2012 tour.

As for the tourists coming here, London 2012 is on the horizon and their visit won't have done any harm in showing foreigners that relations are good between the two countries as well as showcasing the country, and we're just a short hop across. The Queen and Philip might post a positive account on tripadvisor to help us out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

galwayrush wrote: »
    I think that speaks for most of us. We have not forgotten the past, but we have grown up as a nation and moved on. I felt very proud as an Irishman how well the trip was received by the vast majority and how well this projected in such a positive light on the world stage.

I heard that many of the world papers headlines were about the minor riots. Someone wrote into the metro that he had looked at papers in NY, Cape Town, Sydney and they all focused on the disturbances.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Dublin, nice place. I go every now and then to watch a match or catch a gig. Usually get on well with Dubliner's except the ross o'carroll kelly types, but we have those too.

Visit of British Queen, most people in Cork think its an important symbol of the British monorchys acceptance of the equality of the Irish state. Most Cork people like British people and want her visit to go well as it could lead to an increase in tourism and a more positive perception of the country abroad. As a sign of the friendship between the countrys, people who were having lunchbreaks, in town anyhow or kids brought out from school lined a stretch of road to welcome her.

There are over twice as many peple in Dublin as there are in Cork. Dubliner's in general dont travel to Cork much and wouldnt be all that knowledgable about the place or care. In fact there are plenty of Dubliners who when it comes to Ireland dont look beyond Dublin. Cork had a population more then the next three largest combined counties before the famine and has a tradition of the same mentality so there are still those who when it comes to Ireland dont look beyond Cork.
    Both of these sets really need to Kop on and stop being such a bunch on introverted fools. The two counties have much more in common then most other counties. To read the nonsense posted back and forth in this and a million other threads is nauseating.

Think Cork did well with the visit today. I think if Dubliners / people from any other Irish city had the opportunity theyd have done the exact same.

The protesters in Dublin didnt look the best. The ones in Cork today were a very similar group but were drowned out.

As for past battles. Get a life. Dublin, Cork, Waterford etc etc were not catholic Irish cities back in the day and were loyalist.

In 1916 Dublin took the lead but there were plenty from other parts of the country there too and if it wasnt for mis managed communications there would hae been plenty of others.

War of Independence. Certain counties were far more active then others especially Cork, Tipperary, Limerick, Clare, Longford and believe it or not Dublin too. Its generally accepted that activity was largely dependant on the initiative of the local commanders. While Cork would have been the most active place only one of the three brigades was led by a Corkonian - Tom Barry. Lynch and Moylan were both from Limerick though Lynch was a stones throw over the border.

We have a lovely country with lots of great towns, cities etc and Id love if some people on this website felt able to compliment somewhere beyond their hometown
    Bravo Balmed out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

Thank God this whole farce is now over with. We have had our media dominated with this topic for 4 whole days. While there were some people against the visit and some all for the visit the vast majority had no interest at all. If you were to believe the media you would swear we were all overcome with excitement at the thought of this visit. Over the last 4 days at my workplace, at social events and at the school gates not once was this visit brought up in conversation. I had to stop watching telly or listening to the radio as it appeared nothing else was going on in the world. Frankly if RTE coverage of events was based on the amount of people actually interested in the topic it would have only got a 5 minute slot on the news.

Agreed. The whole thing has made me sick. You would swear the country was'nt falling apart right under us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Given that nobody was interested in the visit why bother posting about it, as obviously nobody will bother reading your post? Incidentally, there are more than 84,000 views of this thread alone - must be a computer error. :rolleyes:

Link please?:confused:

:pac:

ah the war of indepedence we can thank the queen that those brave men from cork and dublin got freedom for their part of the country and fcuk their fellow irishmen in the north. how nice it was to see queenie clebrate the fallen volunteers of the ira like pearse who said "ireland unfree will never be at peace" little did he know that loads of proud irish men and women would queue up to kiss the royal bottom while her majesty still reigns over part of this country and that many more irish men and women would express how proud they where to watch those queuing and where only sorry they couldnt make it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Now that this is all over, I'd just like to say that in terms of the greatly overused word 'historic', it's far more amazing that the party of Ian Paisley and Peter Robinson has been sharing power successfully with the party of Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness for over four years now.

That's an extraordinary turnaround in this country's history, and one of the very few genuinely positive achievements amid the economic misery. The word 'historic' is way overused for this visit; to use it to describe the work invested in uniting, to quote John Hewitt, planter and Gael seems like an understatement.

We are living through a very historic period in our country's history, and long may the north continue to surprise. There's more goodwill between both communities than I have ever seen - the appearance of leading members of the DUP at Michaela Harte's funeral being the most poignant recent example of that. Amazing. It's a pity more people on Boards.ie couldn't give the historic improvement in the north the credit it deserves. It's far from perfect, but it's also far better than most people could have imagined in the most polarised years of the Troubles. Keeping both communities working together in the north will be a far greater source of pride and achievement for Irish society than the ephemeral media-driven "pride" of "our behaviour" during the visit of a British monarch to Ireland. Let's get perspective.

but surely that would have defeated the whole point of the visit it was a media spectacular like any other big charity event so that are goverment could pass around the begging bowl. the truth of the matter is if osama bin laden was still with us (god rest him) he would be invited over and giving a wee shake to see if he had any loose change

Dionysus wrote: »
    Now that this is all over, I'd just like to say that in terms of the greatly overused word 'historic', it's far more amazing that the party of Ian Paisley and Peter Robinson has been sharing power successfully with the party of Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness for over four years now.

That's an extraordinary turnaround in this country's history, and one of the very few genuinely positive achievements amid the economic misery. The word 'historic' is way overused for this visit; to use it to describe the work invested in uniting, to quote John Hewitt, planter and Gael seems like an understatement.

We are living through a very historic period in our country's history, and long may the north continue to surprise. There's more goodwill between both communities than I have ever seen - the appearance of leading members of the DUP at Michaela Harte's funeral being the most poignant recent example of that. Amazing. It's a pity more people on Boards.ie couldn't give the historic improvement in the north the credit it deserves. It's far from perfect, but it's also far better than most people could have imagined in the most polarised years of the Troubles. Keeping both communities working together in the north will be a far greater source of pride and achievement for Irish society than the ephemeral media-driven "pride" of "our behaviour" during the visit of a British monarch to Ireland. Let's get perspective.

the only problem with the peace process is that it was bought and paid for by the british and irish goverments and when that money runs out there is a strong possibility they will revert to type

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Saw her twice today and got two big waves! Got a few pictures :) Mostly of the motorcade as I was waving away like mad! Very proud to be British today!

Cork looked brilliant, great buzz about the city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

sollar wrote: »
    The point is why would you hold a concert for someone and then insult them. If people orgainsed a surprise birthday party for you you'd be a bit surprised if they implied they'd have liked to see you fall of your horse.

Sorry but can you exactly point out how she insulted her?

I read several posts on here about how horrible Olivia's speech was, I immediately unconsciously started siding with those posters without viewing it myself.

One major lesson I have learnt from this experience is never to jump on the bandwagon again, because I subsequently watched it and I thought it was a good speech that essentially captured the true feelings of most Irish people. She reflected on the realities of the past while also acknowledging the opportuinities for the future.

My only critisism was the 'Queen falling off the horse' statement which I feel could have been worded better or left out at best but she ended the comment with 'the Queen never slips'.

In my opinion
    , it was a good , reflective and honest speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Maybe too early for viewer data for the Royal visit.
    However:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0503/breaking51.html

Would tend to suggest that your view is wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement