Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Nodin wrote: »
    Why would she bow?
    It appears that the poster was so caught up in anticipating whether or not O Leary would bow, she didnt catch that part of O Learys speech which indicated that only British citizens (from courtesy but not by obligation) defer in this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

^^^ exactly.... i honestly think some of the posters here think we're still under british rule

It seems that way to me, too, although I suspect it's different people and opposite reasons.

If O'Leary was honest then fair play to her - too much crap is caused by people fudging and ducking and lying.

In fact, I believe that a true measure of respect is when you can be 100% honest with someone and not nit-pick to manufacture offence, be it straight truth, a crap joke, or a half-hearted apology.

O'Leary's speech was refreshingly straight - no actual insult, but not fawning either - fair play to her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

gigino wrote: »
    You never saw any Irish person bowing to the Pope ?
    Whats that got to do with anything? It is a personal choice to bow to the pope, usually observed by Catholics, nothing to do with Irishness as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

You never saw any Irish person bowing to the Pope ?

i dont neccesarily agree with that either as im not overly religious but there is some degree of justification for that considering a high percentage of ireland are catholic, but i still dont see the reason/justification in bowing to the english queen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

i dont neccesarily agree with that either as im not overly religious but there is some degree of justification for that considering a high percentage of ireland are catholic, but i still dont see the reason/justification in bowing to the english queen

I did not say anyone in Ireland should bow to the Queen....it was someone else a few posts back who thought she of all people in Ireland might as a half hearted sort of apology given her cheeky speech to the Queen, which tried to be smart and funny but which was not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

As citizens of a republic which is in no way linked to the UK, we are under no obligation to bow to monarchs. That doesnt mean we should be disrespectful, it just means we arent British subjects and arent bound by their rituals.

I thought O' Learys speech was ok. It was bordering into the schmaltz maybe and I wouldnt have let it go ahead if Id been my choice, but it could be worse. I think she pretty much summed up the unique position we have in Ireland in that we know the British royalty so well its as if they are our own, except that we're all raging republicans and we really dont like the British royalty!

Agricola wrote: »
    except that we're all raging republicans and we really dont like the British royalty!

??? what gives her or you the audacity to speak for everyone ?

I did not say anyone in Ireland should bow to the Queen....it was someone else a few posts back who thought she of all people in Ireland might as a half hearted sort of apology given her cheeky speech to the Queen, which tried to be smart and funny but which was not.

i didnt say you did the first part of my post was in reply to yours the second part was a general reply.

i actually thought the speech was quite humerous and in no way offensive.
    personally id have gotten ding dong denny o reilly to do it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Its plain as day you think she should bow, going on your posts.
    O'Leary made at least 2 references to not bowing before the Queen
    I knew O'Leary would not bow as she left the stage, given she had spoken so cheekily and even said to the Queen at the function which was hosted by the Queen " we accept you but we won't respect you".

Why are you now editing posts you made to take in comments made in the interim?

You realise we can see when the edit was made?
    ??? what gives her or you the audacity to speak for everyone ? .

You think they're trying to rob your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Im almost afraid to ask but i have to.....what did Gay Byrne say?? he makes me cringe at the best of times so i can only imagine....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

For me, my unrelenting sexuality. Not sure what Olivia's story is.

Its plain as day you think she should bow, going on your posts.
    No actually, thats a seperate debate and I never said she should bow.
    I would actually expect an Irish person not to bow, but to be polite and courteous.

The fact President Obama bowed when he met the Queen shows people can if they so wish to.
    Why are you now editing posts you made to take in comments made in the interim?
    no I did not, the odd time I edit to correct a spelling or punctuation mistake, or to add something of relevance.

Agricola wrote: »
    I think she pretty much summed up the unique position we have in Ireland in that we know the British royalty so well its as if they are our own, except that we're all raging republicans and we really dont like the British royalty!
    Im almost afraid to ask but i have to.....what did Gay Byrne say??

Cannot remember the exact words but he thought she (OLeary) did a great job. I suppose the master of ceremies would not publically say much more..

No actually, thats a seperate debate and I never said she should bow.
    I would actually expect an Irish person not to bow, but to be polite and courteous..

No, you clearly thought she should.
    I knew O'Leary would not bow as she left the stage, given she had spoken so cheekily and even said to the Queen at the function which was hosted by the Queen " we accept you but we won't respect you".

It would be an exception for a citizen of a republic to bow to a monarch, yet your phrasing clearly indicates you think it was a snub, predictable by what you adjudged to be her 'cheeky' tone.

no I did not, the odd time I edit to correct a spelling or punctuation mistake, or to add something of relevance.

Yes, you did "add something of relevance". You inserted some references to the pope which were not present there some 20 minutes beforehand because the subject had come up in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Cannot remember the exact words but he thought she (OLeary) did a great job. I suppose the master of ceremies would not publically say much more..

Well thats fair enough i suppose(cant handle Gaybo at all tbh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

i cant see whats the problem with bowing to the queen, i would if i met her although the last time i bowed to somebody i was standing too close to him and broke his nose

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

i cant see whats the problem with bowing to the queen, i would if i met her although the last time i bowed to somebody i was standing too close to him and broke his nose

Thats more like it. A bit of humour.

No, you clearly thought she should..

Rubbish. I thought she should show respect to the Queen - most of the posters on this very thread thought her speech was insulting at the time, if you care to scroll back and check.
    Yes, you did "add something of relevance". You inserted some references to the pope which were not present there some 20 minutes beforehand because the subject had come up in the interim.
    It was actually 16 minutes...and the reason it took 16 minutes was because I googled and read up lots about references to bowing to the Pope and the Queen.
    I added my edited reference to the Pope at 20.37 and the subject had NOT come up in the interim.

I added
    "I bet she would bend for the Pope ? I do not know if she ever has or not ( although I think our President has made 7 or 8 seperate visits to the Vatican since taking office).
    Etiquette for the Pope is to "Make a low bow, or go down on one knee, when being presented to the pontiff. Once again, disregard your religious affiliation. Take the pope's right hand and kiss his ring if you're a Catholic."
    http://www.ehow.com/how_11183_greet-...#ixzz1N15jwp1m
    Respect for the Queen :
    Since they are not subjects of the royal family, the Obamas were not expected to comply, but President Obama did bow slightly from the waist as he met the queen and her husband.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Inter...7228105&page=1

If Obama behaves like that towards the Queen, it shows how O'Learys speech - and Gay Byrnes endorsement - was in such bad taste, to put it mildly.
    Personally I think respect should always be given to such heads of state etc. "

By coincidence you added a quick post about the Pope at 20.37, the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056275712

Well, I think this post represents a view from the other side, and an open heart from the heartlands of about 80 miles away on this island.

I wonder could it make 'most thanked'..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

OOL should have done this

Rubbish. I thought she should show respect to the Queen - most of the posters on this very thread thought her speech was insulting at the time, if you care to scroll back and check.

Theres no evidence as to what "most of the posters" think as theres posts either way on the subject.

As I said before, the phrasing of your post clearly shows you thought she should bow to the queen.

By coincidence you added a quick post about the Pope at 20.37, the same time.

Yes, I mentioned the pope and - in an incident in no way connected to that - you happened to edit a post you made a full 20 minutes earlier to include references to the Pope and wondering if she'd bow to him....very feckin believable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I bet she would bend for the Pope ?
    I bet she wouldn't?
    That is true. Many (probably most) of us are not raging republicans who really dislike British royalty. Many of us do not agree with the existence of a monarchy though.

Theres no evidence as to what "most of the posters" think as theres posts either way on the subject.
    rubbish, check the thread
    As I said before, the phrasing of your post clearly shows you thought she should bow to the queen.
    nope. show me the phrase.
    Yes, I mentioned the pope and - in an incident in no way connected to that - you happened to edit a post you made a full 20 minutes earlier to include references to the Pope and wondering if she'd bow to him....very feckin believable.
    you are totally wrong again. You cannot do subtraction either as you think 20.37 is a full 20 minutes after 20.21 ! I googled anf left more than one link to bowing , and quotes, at 20.37, the precise same time you made a post about the Pope. My post was far longer / more detailed, with links etc, showing I started it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I think it would be a great gesture to the people of Ireland if an Post issues a set of stamps depicting the queens head commerating her visit to this country. :p

Dudess wrote: »
    I bet she wouldn't?
    I bet she ( President McAleese ) would and did on the many occassions she met him, given it is normal practice / etiquette. I provided the link earlier for that.

I think it would be a great gesture to the people of Ireland if an Post issues a set of stamps depicting the queens head commerating her visit to this country. :p

I would prefer if an Post broughht the cost of postage down to Royal Mail levels.

Why does it cost so much more to post stuff from Ireland to Britain than from Britain to Ireland ?

rubbish, check the thread.

I did. Theres posts either way.
    nope. show me the phrase..

"phrasing" I already did, here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72346500&postcount=2236
    you are totally wrong again.

emmm, no? You re-edited a post to cover remarks that were made subsequently.

i think a better suggestion would be if andrex issued toilet roll depicting the queens head

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would prefer if an Post broughht the cost of postage down to Royal Mail levels.

Why does it cost so much more to post stuff from Ireland to Britain than from Britain to Ireland ?

Parcel Postage from the UK to Ireland is horrendously expensive compared to the rest of Europe.

It is approximately half the price for the same parcels to get delivered from the mainland to Northern Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement