Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Opelfruit

getz wrote: »
    six million irish living and working and enjoying living in britain ,plus thousands of other irish citizens moving over there every week.
    There are not even 6 million Irish people living in Ireland. How on Earth are there 6 million Irish citizens living in Britain?

gigino wrote: »
    :D we could have the best of both worlds if we done what Gay Byrne once suggested " hand the country back to the Queen with a note of apology" lol.
    There is no facepalm meme that does that utterly preposterous statement justice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Opelfruit wrote: »
    There are not even 6 million Irish people living in Ireland. How on Earth are there 6 million Irish citizens living in Britain?
    and 40 million Irish - shriek horror - in America ? :D
    nobody ever tald us about de auld contraception when emigrating
    There is no facepalm meme that does that utterly preposterous statement justice!
    lol. One with " truth sinking in" ? " all our republican indoctrination/ propoganda was wrong"?

The same sort of facepalm neme you would put after the thoughts of a east german after the wall came down ? lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

you have spent more time stalking me and attacking me than anything else.

Welcome to the club, best not to engage, he thrives on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i was being a little flexible with the truth,this is the quote from british prime minister david cameron,this visit is notso much about closing of an old chapter,but about the opening of a new one,our countries already have a tight knit relationship with around six million people living in the UK having a irish parent or grand parent,and more that 100,000 UK born people living here in ireland,[everyone born with a irish parent or grandparent can claim irish citizenship,so six million can claim to be irish]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Six million people of Irish extraction in Britain is quite a lot, but then we are neighbouring islands, so why not? Britain has always had the jobs, the industry & the big economy, so its hardly surprising that we have migrated there over the centuries. I wonder how many people here can claim British ancestry? surely after an 800+ year association between the two islands there must be a few old GB genes floating around in the modern Irish gene pool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

LordSutch wrote: »
    Six million people of Irish extraction in Britain is quite a lot, but then we are neighbouring islands, so why not? Britain has always had the jobs, the industry & the big economy, so its hardly surprising that we have migrated there over the centuries. I wonder how many people here can claim British ancestry? surely after an 800+ year association between the two islands there must be a few old GB genes floating around in the modern Irish gene pool :)

Inevitable after an 800 year shagathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

:D we could have the best of both worlds if we done what Gay Byrne once suggested " hand the country back to the Queen with a note of apology" lol.

...the same wise old Gaybo who said we shouldn't slag off the Christian Brothers because of the great work they did - that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

theres millions of us all around the world... jaysus we probably even outnumber the chinese at this stage:D

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

theres millions of us all around the world... jaysus we probably even outnumber the chinese at this stage:D

A great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Add in the genes from the various Norse / Vikings, Normans & their cohorts, Flemish, Franks, Bretons (maybe they don't count as they were originally Britons anyway? ) Reformation period onwards, Huguenots, Dutch, Palentine Germans, & even later from the late 1800's Italian, Jewish, Polish & that's not including the last few decades!!!!!

How many Irish have Norman & assoicated surnames, that must be a fairly large percentage of the population? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭shellykbookey

I’m sure someone must have already said this but if there was a small charge for claiming Irish ancestry (like €5) we might not need the IMF :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Just to clarify my position. I think the queen coming to Ireland has been great because I think it is a huge step towards peace. Many wrongs have been commited and the people they have affected are still alive today and many are looking for closure. The way we recived the queen and the reception we showed to a head has made me proud to be Irish. I cant remember a time were I felt more proud what had happened at the garden of rememberence is nothing short of the head of the british state honouring people who fought for our independence. Saying that I respect your view but dont agree with it, much as I apreciate the steps Britian has taken to ensure peace I dont want to be a country under British rule. To put it blunty the British dont run countries for the sake of the countries colonialism has often benifited the the primary power rather than the countires it controls.

Ireland didnt prosper under British rule far from it. In more recent times its fair to say that the north wasnt a fantastic example of a thriving community. I dont see how Ireland was better under British rule? Scotland could gain independence from British rule soon and then there wont be much of an empire left that we could benifit from. I love my identity as an Irish man and I dont feel insecure enough to desire a change in nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

I’m sure someone must have already said this but if there was a small charge for claiming Irish ancestry (like €5) we might not need the IMF :D

if that were so we would be the imf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ireland didnt prosper under British rule far from it.

Relative to FF rule, I reckon it did!

As far as I know there is but genetically theres not a huge difference but there is an overall difference. Check out some of spencer wells papers on the subject its quite interesting how many people in england have french ancestory for example and how many Irish have basque ancestory.

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Luckily we have a choice as to who we vote for. Im no fan of ff but we certainly havent the problems the north has with sectarianism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Nodin wrote: »
    ...the same wise old Gaybo who said we shouldn't slag off the Christian Brothers because of the great work they did - that one?

The same Gaybo that admitted to drink-driving and is now head of the Road Safety Authority.

Yeah, it would be great if the community I grew up in reverted back to its status as penniless, peasant tenant farmers that they were in the late 19th Century. That's if they were lucky enough to survive that cataclysmic event of the 1840s. You know the one where 1 million Irish people ended up in unmarked, mass graves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Yeah, it would be great if the community I grew up in reverted back to its status as penniless, peasant tenant farmers that they were in the late 19th Century. That's if they were lucky enough to survive that cataclysmic event of the 1840s. You know the one where 1 million Irish people ended up in unmarked, mass graves.
    99% of europeans were pennyless peasants in the 19th century.

• Advertisement

99% of europeans were pennyless peasants in the 19th century.

Not all had endured a famine though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

A lot would have done, just nowhere near the scale of the irish one.

The root causes of the Great Famine existed all across northern Europe. Only in Ireland did people die (well 12 people died in the Scottish Highlands).

The root causes of the Great Famine existed all across northern Europe. Only in Ireland did people die (well 12 people died in the Scottish Highlands).

It would have been a lot more, had it not been for the rest of the Scottish population chipping in and helping out.

Well whatever the problems the British didnt exaclty have a great response plan to the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

That was dependent on your religious affiliation at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

thats not true at all. there were 50,000 deaths in belgium and France. Prussia suffered heavily and 1.7 million people uprooted in Scotland

That was dependent on your religious affiliation at the time

.....and free soup, though not from this guy:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Well whatever the problems the British didnt exaclty have a great response plan to the situation.
    the queen raised two huge sums of money .the quakers [a lancashire religion] did more than anyone,even more than the roman church to help the irish,scotland who tried to help,had its own problem ,but they at least could walk into the richer parts of the UK.take it from me ,the ruling class dident care less about the irish/english/welsh or scotish unwashed.

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    the queen raised two huge sums of money .the quakers [a lancashire religion] did more than anyone,even more than the roman church to help the irish,scotland who tried to help,had its own problem ,but they at least could walk into the richer parts of the UK.take it from me ,the ruling class dident care less about the irish/english/welsh or scotish unwashed.

Had she got this chap to resign, she would have achieved a lot more:

Sir Charles Trevelyan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Charles_Trevelyan,_1st_Baronet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement