Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Another potential newbie here

• 18-05-2011 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi.. I have been reading this forum and know this is probably the best place to ask.
    We are hoping to buy a campervan/motorhome this year and I was looking for advice.Mainly it would be for seeing this country for a year and then hopefully try UK next year.

We have two toddlers ( 3 and 1) so was wondering if anyone can give me advice on what is the best set up for sleeping for these-bunk beds or share a fixed bed?

Also any advice from any campers regarding traveling with little ones would be appreciated, including purchase suggestions..

We have a budget of roughly 25K -would this be enough to get a decent one to last a good few years?

ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

We have bunks and it works great for us.
    What i would say is that whatever you go for make sure it has "permanent beds" for the 4 of you...the last thing you want to be doing is converting a table into a bed while chasing 2 toddlers around the place at the same time!!

Our bunks are at the back of the camper and they have a privacy screen which keeps the light out of them...this is great cos when they go down we can watch the telly on low volume in the living area.

Its a buyers market...youll get a lot for 25K compared to a few years ago so be patient with your spend. Have a look on donedeal and knock at least 10 to 20% off the prices that re being asked.

Rgds,
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Hi Eileen,
    Most campers (like package holidays) are designed for 2+2 so you will have a world of choice. 25K is a decent budget and you will definitely get a very nice camper, that will last a good few years, at that money.

Re your specific question about bunks v fixed bed. You need to think of a few years down the road not just now. They may be happy to share now but will that be the same in a year or so. Also will there only be 2!

Assuming whatever you by will be mechanically sound etc the three most important issues with respect to buying and enjoying your camper it are layout, layout and layout. You can add accessories but you can't change the layout.

Some more advice here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056260378

Wildwater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

We travel with a crew of 4 kids........all under the age of 7

We have had bunks on both our vans and it works very well for us

My advice would be to get onto a few vans and get a real good feel for whats available out there

Where about in Ireland are you based.....Im sure that there is somebody on here that lives close to you that would be willing to let you have a look at their lay-out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hi Eileen,
    Another thing to look out for is damp.
    Make sure to check the walls by pressing them to make sure there are no spongy or soft spots.
    Also keep an eye out for mould or mildew, and check under the mattresses as I've seen damp there when I was looking to buy my motorhome.
    The best thing to check for damp is a damp meter -- I got mine on Amazon for about 20 Euro : Click Here
    I use it to check my Motorhome periodically.

And if you have any questions regarding ones you've viewed, just ask a question on the forum about it - they helped me steer clear of a bad camper when I was buying (Clicky)

Best of luck with it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MushGSXR

Hi Eileen,

I am in the exact same situation, albeit with a smaller budget(up to 20K). We have a small man of 18 months and want to leave a slot for a bro or sister in future..

Currently wondering whether to buy a large van and get a conversion or go for a full on Camper. Will use for weekends, trips to UK and biking/festivals.

Great to see people on here talking of there experiences with small kids. Ye have only encouraged me now.

I was thinking along the lines of a 4 berth camper. Do people on here have any recommendations on potential conversion options. I was thinking along the lines of an 07/08 LWB high roof Transit or Sprinter.

Is a conversion mental with the kids or should I look to get a factory built with the budget we have. I just prefer the look of the converted vans but as ye are saying it is all about the layout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

MushGSXR wrote: »
    Hi Eileen,

I am in the exact same situation, albeit with a smaller budget(up to 20K). We have a small man of 18 months and want to leave a slot for a bro or sister in future..

Currently wondering whether to buy a large van and get a conversion or go for a full on Camper. Will use for weekends, trips to UK and biking/festivals.

Great to see people on here talking of there experiences with small kids. Ye have only encouraged me now.

I was thinking along the lines of a 4 berth camper. Do people on here have any recommendations on potential conversion options. I was thinking along the lines of an 07/08 LWB high roof Transit or Sprinter.

Is a conversion mental with the kids or should I look to get a factory built with the budget we have. I just prefer the look of the converted vans but as ye are saying it is all about the layout.

Just remember the lovely country we live in. It rains a lot :) and if you do find yourself "indoors" with smallies in that kind of weather a bitta space would be nice. A table for snakes and ladders/colouring/laptop, bed where Mam can sneak off with her book and Dad loosing at snakes and ladders/assisting colouring/not getting a look in on the laptop. Kettle on the go for tay. All at the same time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Eileen36

many thanks for all the replies

Def bunk beds and a fixed bed for us then

I have to say I will play it safe and buy from a dealer as I hate to think spending 20-25K and finding something wrong that I didnt spot beforehand... at least with dealers I can go back.. I know it may cost a little more but I think the (my) peace of mind is worth it

Wildwater -ahem-there will be no more-trust me! two is more than enough for me so hats off to you Malta1-

We live in the midlands so will keep an eye out and see what is up on dealers websites-fingers crossed we will not have a long wait as I cant wait to take the little ones out and about for weekends to see this country ..

Again many thanks for the replies -and so good to hear of so many young families out there enjoying these type of holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

If your in the midlands check out pat horans...they are an adria dealer and a very helpful family run business . Im sure he has other makes aswell taken in as trade.(i didnt buy my van there but it originally came through him...its an adria and its top notch!!)
    Your wise to go with a dealer...the price gap between private and dealer prices is not as much as it may have been in the past.
    Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

Check all the main dealer websites.Buying off a dealer is the best way as you have a bit of protection.Try www.irishmotorhomes.com .There is a good selection on there.Bunks are the way to go for your family as we had 4 kids and its definately the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Eileen36

Meant to reply to this sooner but we are working on a 5 day week this last while.. well since we bought the Camper..Found a bunk bed,2006 one in Killaloe dealers and we have been away the last two weekends with it. So far so good. takes a little getting used to having the freedom to go away every Sat night .. not that I am complaining and we are getting used to the working of her..and the limited space when raining ( Kerry last weekend!)
    The little lad loves it and sleeps all night-herself is getting used to it-and U am getting the hang of going up a ladder to bed!

Hope to get away every weekend we can now and see more of the country that we would otherwise.
    Thanks for all the advice on this forum and especially the reviews on sites-I will hopefully find the time to add a few to that forums myself..

For anyone with little ones I can def suggest the Apple orchard in Tipp-our first stay and oh it was so very nice there and a good atmosphere, rabbits running round, donkey, slide, swings, games room and safe to run around-not to mention the jam and juice available in the shop-yummy! It made for a great first night away ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

great to hear eileen36
    safe travels and dont forget to wave to other campers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

meercat wrote: »
    dont forget to wave to other campers

Yeah, cos I 'always' get waves in my stealthmobile.......

Yeah, cos I 'always' get waves in my stealthmobile.......

I told you, you have to write CAMPER ag teacht on the nose :D

Eileen36 wrote: »
    Meant to reply to this sooner but we are working on a 5 day week this last while.. well since we bought the Camper..Found a bunk bed,2006 one in Killaloe dealers and we have been away the last two weekends with it. So far so good. takes a little getting used to having the freedom to go away every Sat night .. not that I am complaining and we are getting used to the working of her..and the limited space when raining ( Kerry last weekend!)
    The little lad loves it and sleeps all night-herself is getting used to it-and U am getting the hang of going up a ladder to bed!

Hope to get away every weekend we can now and see more of the country that we would otherwise.
    Thanks for all the advice on this forum and especially the reviews on sites-I will hopefully find the time to add a few to that forums myself..

For anyone with little ones I can def suggest the Apple orchard in Tipp-our first stay and oh it was so very nice there and a good atmosphere, rabbits running round, donkey, slide, swings, games room and safe to run around-not to mention the jam and juice available in the shop-yummy! It made for a great first night away ..

Congrats Eileen happy camping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

WildWater wrote: »
    I told you, you have to write CAMPER ag teacht on the nose :D

Yeah, think I will. Gonna call the van 'Red'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

WELL Done...

How did u find that dealer to deal with ? was there much choice or / and discount on asking prices? did u travel to him for a particular vehicle or just on chance? ............cc30

Advertisement