Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L.C.F.E Applied Social studies

• 18-05-2011 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi all, I have just been offered a place for next Sept in Limerick Senior or L.c.f.e in the social studies course.
    My daughter will next year be in school for a full day (9.00-2.30).
    When I applied for the course at the open day the tutors told me they are accomodating to parents who may need to leave early some days to collect a child from school, but at the interview I was told the day was long 9.00-5.15 and I would need to be there all day.

I am a single parent and I don't have anyone really to help collect and mind her after school. I would have to juggle her around different people ask favours e.t.c. My questions are:
    Has anyone else done this course? and was the day really that long?
    Did you find the course useful? What did you go on to do afterward?

I just want to make sure its worth my while because at 32 I dont want to go into doing a course that wont lead to something. I'd be hoping to use it as a stepping stone into becoming a social worker or care worker.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

My girlfriend just finished that course, she's hoping to go on to LIT to further her studies. From what she says, she found it unbelievably helpful.

She doesn't use boards but if you'd like to PM your email or number I can get you in contact with her - she'd have no bother talking you through the course

As for the day... you're on placement on Wednesdays and she was off on Fridays (study day).

The other days.. you're expected to attend classes but I'd say it's up to the individual tutor to okay you missing a class or two. I'd imagine if you explained the situation there wouldn't be too much of a hassle, they'd want to be pretty lousy to penalise you for it when you're showing such an interest in the course

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Thanks, Great help, Ill p.m you my email address if she has time to just email a short note that would be great. :)

Advertisement