Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point in religion

Options
  • 18-05-2011 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

With talk about scrapping religion from schools, is there any point in studying to be a religion teacher?
    Son was thinking of going to mater DAI, but I would love some thoughts on it,.Thanks,cathy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

No

That was the exact word I gave to my religion teacher when asked about learning Religion. Still holds true for me today. Children have enough to learn without adding extra unsubstantiated nonsense to that list of subjects to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

but at the moment is complsery in second level schools up to Jr Cert and is optional up to leaving cert.Is it worth the time , studing tobecome a teacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

cathy01 wrote: »
    but at the moment is complsery in second level schools up to Jr Cert and is optional up to leaving cert.Is it worth the time , studing tobecome a teacher?

There are no compulsory subjects for the JC/LC. The SEC don't enforce any subjects. I don't know if it's worth studying. Helping kids to improve English or Maths will probably benefit them more in the long run than filling their heads with nonsense. I use Maths and English everyday, but I don't even think about religion. Looking back, I think spending less time on religion would have probably improved the chances of the people in my class trying to get into college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I think your son is looking for an easy teaching option. Religion is one of those subjects in school that has no relevance on anything and students know this. When I was in school religion class was when some students did homework for other classes and the rest of us went to the gym to play indoor football.

If he really wants to be a teacher then get him to study a real subject that will make a difference. If he's into religion then maybe the priesthood is the way for him to go.

I think your son is looking for an easy teaching option. Religion is one of those subjects in school that has no relevance on anything and students know this. When I was in school religion class was when some students did homework for other classes and the rest of us went to the gym to play indoor football.

If he really wants to be a teacher then get him to study a real subject that will make a difference. If he's into religion then maybe the priesthood is the way for him to go.

He done religion in school as an extra subject as he likes it.Its not catholic based, BELIEVE ME he has no intention of being a priest, too many 18 yr old girls out there.:D
    The college is closer to us than any, apparently , you can go on to do guidance counseller in schools etc and he should have a B.Ed in History or English aswell.
    Thanks for the comments,Cathy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

"Religious Education" (as opposed to just religion) is an exam subject for the Leaving Cert though, so one would assume there will always be some demand for it. I believe it is available as a Junior Cert subject now as well. This is a relatively recent addition (in the last decade) to the curriculum so I can't see them scrapping it just yet. Besides, surely there will always be a demand in the likes of CBSs, Convent schools, etc, for teachers to teach non-exam religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 gucis

Of course there is a point - for general education, but it can be extra subject.
    If to choose from Mathematics and Religion, then Mathematics, of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 susancollins

yeah its a good idea..:)

Now, all I need to do is convince him.I think hes being swept away by the college life style that he thinks he would have in Maynooth.
    I think hes been watching too much american pie films.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

cathy01 wrote: »
    Now, all I need to do is convince him.I think hes being swept away by the college life style that he thinks he would have in Maynooth.
    I think hes been watching too much american pie films.:D

I know a someone going to Mater Dei, I get the impression the social life is still pretty good despite it being a small college. It's linked to DCU so you can participate in some of DCU's clubs, etc... Apparently the classes are small so it's easier to get to know people etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement