Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post of the Day

Options
  • 18-05-2011 11:21am

When is the last time Post of the Day wasn't from YLYL? It's a pity really as some of the more original and well thought out content on the website often gets missed. Any old sod can post a funny picture.

Surely a "link of the day" could go in there too so that the most thanked funny pic or link gets seen as well as posts that users put the effort into?

I'm all for the funny pics, I always read YLYL but it just seems a pity as I used to enjoy clicking on post of the day whereas now I know it's very likely to be from YLYL and as such I'll have already seen it.

That's my 2c's anyway.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I was going to post about this last week...post of the day is pointless at this stage.

22 out of the last 25 have been YLYL posts. May as well just rename it to "funniest pic found by someone on the internet today".

And this on a site that prides itself on discussion!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

YLYL should be moved over to the Humour forum and broken up into different threads.
    FFFFUUUU guy, Bachelor Frog, Dog Fort, Cyanide & Happiness, XKCD, Troll Dad, etc.

That probably wouldn't fix the POTD issue though. It would go back to being something from the Weather/Photography/BGRH every day instead, like it was before YLYL.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If there was some way to filter 'winning' forums from the previous X days so that POTD cycled about a bit that might be great. Currently it's like when your favourite band keeps coming up on your smart playlist - you like listening to them but really if you wanted to listen to them you'd just play their album.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If there was some way to filter 'winning' forums from the previous X days so that POTD cycled about a bit that might be great. Currently it's like when your favourite band keeps coming up on your smart playlist - you like listening to them but really if you wanted to listen to them you'd just play their album.

Insert crazy frog version of we are the champions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

When is the last time Post of the Day wasn't from YLYL?

12/5/2011 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72166519&postcount=8

11/5/2011 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72161568&postcount=3

2/5/2011 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71985741&postcount=2

There was a massive discussion on this recently, think it basically boiled down to being that you can't just single out one thread and pick on it. After that people would want After Hours exempt from POTD chances.

I'd like to see YLYL exempt from thanks as a way to combat it but thats a whole other kettle of fish, and goddamit I want my POTD again! :pac:

• Advertisement

And as I say that todays post of the day has had its host site image removed and as such people are thanking an image that doesn't work!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

In theory im against interfering - in practice i agree with the OP

I dont use POTD for this reason. Id rather POTD was an original post or message rather that a rehash of a post from an email or 4chan. Im not against YLYL and i wouldnt be in favor of disabling thanks on it but i would rather if it were exempt from POTD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'd like to see the YLYL post thanks removed entirely from the Thanks Filter Page & given it's own filter page rated by thanks.

The Thanks Filter page used to be a good way of catching up quickly on some of the more recognised posts of the day - be it for them being funny, entertaining, informative or helpful. Now it's just a page full of memes.

In another Feedback thread, Devore was expressing the opinion that he didn't want the site (esp AH) turning into a YouTube style comment board, but if you read the Thanks Filter page, it's not really on much of a higher standing than that. It's herp derp, hardy har, forever alone, snigger, snigger schoolboy humour, which is all very well - and it has it's place - but when it takes over the place of what used to be a good filter page, then you have to question the validity of adding it to the page.

If the POTD comes from YLYL, then fine, but as it is, every time I see the Thanks Filter page full of the same oul shite, I feel like going "FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU".

(Cue the herps getting riled)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

^
    I've actually stopped going into YLYL regularly because of that, but also taking into account that humour is subjective. For the most part YLYL has become something I'm not interested in, so I pay no bother to it. With that there's many of people who seem to like seeing the same few jokes re-hashed thousands of times over. I find it amusing when they bicker over "Reposts," when it's just 1 big joke constantly being re-told...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The problem then is it becomes a weather forecast post by MT Cranium or a Photography post more than usually so same problem applies.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Top 5 posts of the day instead of top 1.
    Then vet it so that only one post can come from any one forum so that YLYL doesn't destroy all competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

You will never please all of the people all of the time.

This topic has come up before,and before that,and before that again over the last 12 months or so.

There are a couple of decent suggestions above in relation to remedies but then if they come to pass you will get people whinging about that too.

For Gods sake a feedback thread was started around Christmas because MT Cranium got POTD for a number of days in a row with weather updates which were a help and of interest to many people.Some bitched about something like that when we were in the grip of the worst winter that most of us have likely ever saw so what does that tell you?

Who is to say what is or isnt thanks worthy anyway?

Id much rather see an internet meme than a smart arsed answer or recycled anecdote so how about limiting POTD to posts with more than 100 words?

Would that be fair?

Who's to say,as I said above,no matter what it is,there will always be detractors and nay sayers,same as there is in all aspects of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I should get POTD everyday. Easiest solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Many times POTD isn't original content, granted - but sometimes it is and so removing the YLYL thread from the running for POTD would be unfair to those users. A nice solution in my view would be if a Top 5 posts list or the thanks filter page had a checkbox, that when checked, had the effect of removing all Cool Vid posts from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

A POTD from each area?
    Rec, Soc, Games, Tech, etc, etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A lot of POTDs are meaningless out of context. I think a smilie got POTD one day, but in the context of the thread it was kind of funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Advanced search -> select date -> sort by most thanked -> scroll until you get to a threads/forums post you don't think should be excluded from post of the day {this will be different for everyone obviously. If I want to know the weather I will stick my head out a window, if I want to see a photo of a leaf with a raindrop on it I will use google images etc, so I would skip those former POTD hogs. You don't like YLYL or puns in AH, you can skip that} -> profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think I've only ever bothered reading 4/5 POTD. Technically if it's based on the Thanks count, well then were's the complication here. Personally I think there should be no POTD, I mean what's the point anyway. It certainly would put an end to all the bullsh1t and sniping directed at the likes of MT and YLYL ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I agree with the filter option. I like YLYL and I check it nearly every day. I also check POTD but it's almost always from YLYL, it's becoming a bit repetitive. POTD should be an accolade for someone composing a funny/knowledgeable/thought provoking post. Not a "I found a funny picture on another website, so I'm going to post it here and hope for thanks"

On a seperate note, I think as well as post of the day and thread of the day, there could be a forum of the day. This would increase traffic into other forums and good posts in smaller forums might then get the traffic to compete for POTD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I think I've only ever bothered reading 4/5 POTD. Technically if it's based on the Thanks count, well then were's the complication here. Personally I think there should be no POTD, I mean what's the point anyway. It certainly would put an end to all the bullsh1t and sniping directed at the likes of MT and YLYL ect.

Bragging rights. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement