Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Old Fashioned' Restaurant for elderly parents....???!!

Options
  • 18-05-2011 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My mother's 70th birthday is coming up soon, and she is impossible to buy a gift for. So myself and the O/H were thinking of bringing her & my father out for a meal and to see a show. We know she's been wanting to see the Grand Canal Theatre since it opened, and my father mentioned to us that he'd like to take her there; but he isn't very mobile these days due to arthritis - which stops them from going to a lot of places.

There are a couple of stipulations because of their age and my father's mobility issues....

1. Accessibility: The restaurant would need to have parking very close by so that I could either park and it would be easy for my father to walk to it - or so I could drop them all off at the door and it would only take me a minute to park the car and get back to the restaurant to join them. Also - somewhere on the 2nd floor with only stairs would be a no no!

2. Setting & Cuisine: I know that they would not be comfortable in a restaurant that is too trendy or too modern. Their idea of a good restaurant is somewhere with a 'traditional' feel, and serving big portions of general stuff like: soup, chicken / roast beef / turkey & ham with garden veg, mashed/roast potatoes, trifle etc. etc...

3. Price: Not too pricey (this is my stipulation as I'm not too flush with cash these days)

4. Central: If there's anywhere close by, or within a short driving distance of the Grand Canal Theatre that would mean we won't be in a mad hurry to finish the meal and rush to the theatre.

I'm aware that it's not easy to find somewhere in the city centre with parking - I do have access to a private car park in the Dawson Street / Nassau Street area, and I know there are a good few places near here. I'd appreciate any recommendations / advice from others here. Trying to do something nice but it's not easy to tick all the above boxes!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

The Trocadero has parking across the road, and it's quite old skool. Fallon & Byrne does have a lift upstairs and it's nearby too. Emmmmmmm... is pub grub too informal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I was thinking of Trocadero alright... been there before myself and enjoyed it. Yeah I think pub grub might be too informal for the occasion.

I was also thinking about Brasserie Sixty6 on Georges Street... Also been there a couple of times and liked it - again plenty of parking close by - any thoughts on there?

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I was thinking of Trocadero alright... been there before myself and enjoyed it. Yeah I think pub grub might be too informal for the occasion.

I was also thinking about Brasserie Sixty6 on Georges Street... Also been there a couple of times and liked it - again plenty of parking close by - any thoughts on there?

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've always found sixty 6 to be VERY hit and miss. More so with the service, haven't been in a while though.
    How about Darwin's up the road? http://www.darwins.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I know the location is not ideal for you, but would you consider going for the early bird deal in Beckett's in Leixlip, and then driving into town for the play (it's approx 30mins drive from town to Leixlip)? It's a wonderful, "traditional" Irish restaurant where the price, surroundings and quality are consistently good. They always have good soups, fresh fish and good steaks, with plenty of fresh bread, spuds and veg. My husband and I go there for special occasions. The early bird won't break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I don't have a specific recommendation, but I think you should consider a hotel dining room.

You should be able to find a hotel with a nice traditional looking dining room and conservative food in the suburbs which has a car park.

Also, Brasserie Sixty6 and other town restaurants have a tendency to be too loud for people in their 70s.

• Advertisement
Advertisement