Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't access a folder in my USB Stick?

• 18-05-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

It was recently infected with a spy ware. It infected my laptop and brought it to a PC repair store to get it fixed. But when I put my UDB stick in I can't access a folder on it.

When ever i try to open it, this comes up; Windows cannot find D:\RECYCLER\9fddc8d5.exe.

Does this mean something? Is this folder gone for good? It's got my thesis in it, I have a copy of it but this is the most recent/edited version.

Really worried and stressed out. Please help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'd say the item mentioned is the spyware program, which the system can't find anymore. So I wouldn't worry, but make sure your AV is up to date. You may be able to find where the item is being launched from, and stop it, to get rid of the annoying message.

Hint: You do have some backups of your thesis, hmmmm ? (Cue scary learning experience ...)

[edit] the RECYCLER folder is part of the Recycle Bin system, for items deleted from that drive. You don't need to directly access that folder, look in the RB itself and sort items by location if there's a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

I don't understand why this is happening. I'm able to get some items on the USB file, but if something is in a folder it won't open, that message comes up.

When I click on to the properties of the folders it only says that there is 2KB's and that they were created on the 11th May, which is the day I suspect that it got infected.

I didn't think Spy Ware could remove items? Is this the Spy Ware playing trickery, saying that it's not there when it is, or is all that work gone?

Yeah I've back ups alright but I spent almost three days straight making modifications and edits to it, planned to print out the thesis the next day but couldn't get into it:(

I might go to the PC repair shop tomorrow and see if they can do anything, could someone give me an incling if all this work is gone? Otherwise I'll have to wait up alnight and re-do all these edits

[Not sure if this is the right catagory, should it be in "Virus and Malware" section?]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

So, can you not find your thesis, or not access/open it ?

Have you updated your AV and scanned the USB drive ?
    Run scandisk on the drive ?

If you can't find thesis, you could try some of the free data recovery programs out there, e.g Recuva or Photorec or Recovery. There are many threads on this forum about data recovery.

Advertisement