Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Housing Estate on Dunboyne Road

Options
  • 18-05-2011 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

We have been looking at buying in Maynooth for a while now but are holding off to see if some better deals become available. We have seen one lovely house but next door was divided into 2 houses and rented to students, not what we want so it was a real shame. I am originally from Dunboyne and like the estates and houses on the old Dunboyne road just before Maynooth town. I noticed they are building a new housing estate in there.

Although I would be concerned about a new estate in early development I was trying to find out more information as the houses themselves look nice and appear well spaced out.

I have been tempted to stop and ask about them as I havent been able to find anything online so far. Does anyone know anything about them, developer, plans, price range etc. or know anywhere I can find out this information?

Thanks a mil :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Coonan's are looking after it as far as I know.

The builder, I can't think of the name off hand but check out their relationship to a certain estate in Enfield.....

As for the timeline of the build, I heard that they will be building according to demand i.e they're building five now and will build more as demand demands. They won't be building all at once which suggests the builder is not under financial pressure to do so. It also leaves the first purchasers open to living in an unfinished estate for a long time.

Best chat to Coonan's for further info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

I drove past that today and the new houses are in the front of the estate. The perimeter wall has been completed to the front of the estate. There is no other entrance and all subsequent building will involve heavy trucks entering that one entrance. The roads will suffer in the estate until completed. I do not know the builder to comment on his quality of work but they do look nice outside. Not the best way to judge them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

they look very like showhouses. almost as though they are.

i like the look of them, and though they are a bit out of the town id like to go and have a look once theyre open to public

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

ixus wrote: »
    Coonan's are looking after it as far as I know.

The builder, I can't think of the name off hand but check out their relationship to a certain estate in Enfield.....

As for the timeline of the build, I heard that they will be building according to demand i.e they're building five now and will build more as demand demands. They won't be building all at once which suggests the builder is not under financial pressure to do so. It also leaves the first purchasers open to living in an unfinished estate for a long time.

Best chat to Coonan's for further info.

Potential buyers would be very very wise to take this bit of advice on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Also don't forget Dunboyne is in Co. Meath..............................:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

jb-ski wrote: »
    Also don't forget Dunboyne is in Co. Meath..............................:eek:
    well spotted. But the new development is on the Dunboyne Road, in Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

folan wrote: »
    well spotted. But the new development is on the Dunboyne Road, in Maynooth.

Sorry I missed that. Doh!

(note to self; read posts properly:) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

It's a crime that anyone can build a new house in this day and age when there an estimated 300,000 units sitting vacant. NAMA give us the houses :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Loraco

Potential buyers would be very very wise to take this bit of advice on board.

Hi there,sorry new to this whole house buying lark and am interested in this new estate too. Can anyone expand on this Enfield estate issue(as much as is possible of course) as it is proving very hard to come by info on it or the developers (Mason Homes I believe). They are apparently building 150 units on a build per order basis which could as someone pointed out above result to living on a building site for some time. The asking price though is for once realistic and I think will appeal to a lot of first time buyers like myself. Houses seem to be finished to high standard....any extra info would be great and much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 girlwithpearls

Hi Loraco!
    I'm interested in those houses on the Dunboyne Road too.
    What I've heard about the 'Enfield issue' was that an unsuitable material was used in the foundation work of the houses. The material began to expand after the houses were built and this caused walls to belly out. I'm not sure how the situation was rectified, all I heard about was the problem! But I imagine it's highly unlikely that they would make the same mistake again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The showhouse seems to be open this weekend. Signs up for it as you approach the town from the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Yep, went for a look. Semi's have very small sitting rooms. The 3 bed isn't kitted out with furniture. The 4 bed semi is but, in the sitting room there's a small couch with no table. If you view it, visualize a coffee table in there and the lack of space you'd have.

The 4 bed detached is a good size and looks well. Remember though that the show house is the biggest it will look compared to what it would look like if you actually lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭CJ1

Anyone know how much were the detached houses being advertised for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 djiv!de

CJ1 wrote: »
    Anyone know how much were the detached houses being advertised for?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭paddy111199

Grand houses but is it worth the risk......

Also still too expensive IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Jammie01

Im looking at these houses too but plan on holding off buying for a year or two to see what happens or what else becomes available in our budget. Do ye think the asking prices will drop by much if the builder is only building to demand? Surely if four beds drop significantly in the area over the next few years, his prices would reflect this too? Hopefully anyway because I love their location compared to other estates in Maynooth!

Also, what's the deal with making an offer on a new estate? I know with a second hand home you can offer below the asking price for the house but would this work with a new estate and with the builder holding off building?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

Anyone been to these yet? I see they have a show house viewings on sat /sun? thinking of having a look...

Also interested in the prev post thoughts too on the asking price for a new home and whether thats as negiotable as a second hand price?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SolarisLem

Nice estate in comparison to what is available in Maynooth. However the 3, 4 semi detached are nothing special. Once again, no provision for a coats/shoe closet around the entry (i think there is a small space under the stairs). Only thing that is a bonus for the design is the good insulation and the solar panel (however how well do those work in Irish climate and how much energy can you get from a single panel?) Rest of the house appeal is based on a nice decoration, tiling, walpaper (which in a few years will go out of style anyway, just look at the houses built in the nineties) etc. Easly you can get any of the older houses in Rockfield, Parklands, Silken Vale to look EXACTLY the same after throwing in a few bob.
    On the other hand, detached 4 bed looks great (though no closet space in the entry!!!!!), spacious with a huge attic, which could be converted easily. The price is scary, and will come down IMO at least 100 000 or more when the dust settles. 250-280thousand? For the semi I would not pay anything above 200 t. Hopefully the grand expectation of the developer will be flexible if he want to sell all 170 of them :)

Re: Leinster Wood :D

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=618287

495.000 asking price :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

SolarisLem wrote: »
    The price is scary, and will come down IMO at least 100 000 or more when the dust settles. 250-280thousand? For the semi I would not pay anything above 200 t. Hopefully the grand expectation of the developer will be flexible if he want to sell all 170 of them :)

They're never going to be less than 200,000, especially not new!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I have to say the 4 bed detached is a real beauty but at that price well out of our price range unfortunately! I quite liked the 4 bed semi, like the kitchen and the little utility room

I don't understand why wouldn't they be less than 200t? Last few years property market observed 13-17% yearly drop. The development is going to take at least 3 years to finish if all the houses planned are built. With forthcoming budgets bringing only austerity and looming world double dip recession, not to mention the long awaited sale price property database, I do not see the drops stopping anytime soon :pac:. So lets say in about a year from now i would expect the asking price of 285 (assuming )devalue by 15% (example) which brings us to 285-42.7=242.3 (if my math is right, too early in the morning :D). This number is getting a lot closer to 200 just in 12 months. I am sure the asking price won't change but hopefully the property database will be published soon:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

xxshebeexx wrote: »
    They're never going to be less than 200,000, especially not new!!

Give it until after the budget.

There are many, many 3 bed semis in Maynooth in decent nick asking under 200, already. Things don't go for above asking price except to deluded wannabe investors at the Allsop/Space auctions. One of them is asking 169 which is probably closer to reality. 4 bed detached is obviously worth more, but its affected just as much if not more by price falls, there are less people looking to buy houses of that size

Expecting these to never go below 200k is as delusional as the new 215k 2 bed apartments a mile and a half outside of town when there's new 150k 2 beds closer and s/hand 135k 2 beds in the town centre...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

What I've heard about the 'Enfield issue' was that an unsuitable material was used in the foundation work of the houses. The material began to expand after the houses were built and this caused walls to belly out. I'm not sure how the situation was rectified, all I heard about was the problem!

Where did you hear this? Is there anything online about it? I've tried searching but have found nothing. How long ago did this happen. Did the developers fix these issues or did they leave the owners to sort it themselves without accepting responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 neece79

dib wrote: »
    Where did you hear this? Is there anything online about it? I've tried searching but have found nothing. How long ago did this happen. Did the developers fix these issues or did they leave the owners to sort it themselves without accepting responsibility?
    go to the tv 3 web site and watch the midweek episode dated 16/11/11or the morning show dated 10/11/11. I live in enfield. the problem is destroying families.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

I went for a look at the houses in Maynooth and talked to one of the agents in Coonan's. He said that Pyrite definitely wasn't an issue in this development as the quarries are obliged to guarantee that the stone they are selling is free from Pyrite. Whether or not I believe that is another thing! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 neece79

dib wrote: »
    I went for a look at the houses in Maynooth and talked to one of the agents in Coonan's. He said that Pyrite definitely wasn't an issue in this development as the quarries are obliged to guarantee that the stone they are selling is free from Pyrite. Whether or not I believe that is another thing! ;)
    well good luck with that. wish i had advice. maybe pray to saint jude? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

neece79 wrote: »
    well good luck with that. wish i had advice. maybe pray to saint jude? :)
    The best advice I can give is:

1. Wait and save and save and wait.
    2. Also don't believe what estate agents tell you. (Not making any comment about this particular estate agent but as a class they have low reputation for honesty).
    3. Assume that if a builder has built in a substandard way somewhere that he will do it again and again.

Advertisement