Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question on Harvard referencing?

• 18-05-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

I'm referencing this book, but the thing is that there are reports/articles in the book that are written by other authors. The main author hasn't edited these articles/reports, they are just put in his book.

How do I go about referencing these?

Would I put the main author and title of book first, then but the author of the article/report withing the book second? You see the main author hasn't written these reports, but I got them from this book and can't get them else where. Through out the body of text I have referenced these articles as the main author.

Did i do this wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

effluent wrote: »
    I'm referencing this book, but the thing is that there are reports/articles in the book that are written by other authors. The main author hasn't edited these articles/reports, they are just put in his book.

How do I go about referencing these?

Would I put the main author and title of book first, then but the author of the article/report withing the book second? You see the main author hasn't written these reports, but I got them from this book and can't get them else where. Through out the body of text I have referenced these articles as the main author.

Did i do this wrong?

You should reference the editor, even if he didn't directly edit the articles, he still compiled the work. You should also acknowledge the person who wrote the article.

Name of author of article, 'Name of Article', Name of Editor (ed.), Name Of The Book (Place of publication, Year), p or pp.XYZ

I'm rusty, so double-check with your department or supervisor.

Advertisement