Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Eels

Options
  • 18-05-2011 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of any relatively recent sightings of horse eels in Ireland? You know, the fishy horse things people apparently see around lakes?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Don't know about a horse eel, but there have been plenty of serpent sightings in Muckross Lake in Kilarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

if you've any more info on that I'd love to hear it - doing a bit of research on irish 'monsters'

The most recent sighting was by a priest staying at a hotel in Killarney. You got to remember "Horse" eel is just a theory. One of the most interesting storys comes from Galway , when during a drought a lake started to shrink into 2 lakes. But as the story goes , a "Horse ell" got beached in between . After a couple of weeks the the body was stinking so bad , the locals had to cut it up and dump it into the lake.

aye, theres a few different names ... horse eel was just the handiest. I'm looking for any links on black dogs and lake type monsters if anyone has anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

The most recent sighting was by a priest staying at a hotel in Killarney. You got to remember "Horse" eel is just a theory. One of the most interesting storys comes from Galway , when during a drought a lake started to shrink into 2 lakes. But as the story goes , a "Horse ell" got beached in between . After a couple of weeks the the body was stinking so bad , the locals had to cut it up and dump it into the lake.

you have to remember the whole para field is a thoery ;)

• Advertisement

this is probably more crypto.

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    you have to remember the whole para field is a thoery ;)

There is no proof that paranormal is even a field :P

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

5185440597_4059864a7f.jpg

Uptil now the news of horse eel hasn't been verified by any substantial proof to make it look like just a part of mythology.

I wouldnt say mythology per say. I think its more just really large eels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kunnyfunt

Yes it's just a huge eel, that's it. by the way, these are like the biggest i've seen so far.. They are really huge.. i was standing at about 10m away from them

43564873.jpg

• Advertisement

those are just large eels.

Horse Eels "are aquatic beasts where claims of sightings typically come from two lakes in Ireland. Lough Nahooin and Lough Fadda in County Galway. These strange creatures are described as having a horse-like head with a very elongated eel shaped body."

Anyway, dont worry about them ... we arent going to use them stories anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Horse eels are unverified large eels with two horn like projections on their head and often are described as having a mane of shaggy hair down their neck. They are seen in water and moving accross land (which is no suprise as regular eels do the same). They are interesting but I would be more interested in sightings of the tairbh usice or dobher chu.

I wouldnt say mythology per say. I think its more just really large eels.
    I said that since most of non believers here otherwise had it a big issue for me to answer endlessly for the need of strong scientific proof etc... I hope you got my point. Otherwise in my view they can be possibility just lack sound proof for people not believing it's reality.

meryem wrote: »
    I said that since most of non believers here otherwise had it a big issue for me to answer endlessly for the need of strong scientific proof etc... I hope you got my point. Otherwise in my view they can be possibility just lack sound proof for people not believing it's reality.

Great answer, we just need to change the name of the thread to "Meryem what is your opinion on Horse Eels"

I Imed you the name and number of a reporter who has written about these sightings in the past. Give him a call .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

maccored wrote: »
    I'm looking for any links on black dogs and lake type monsters if anyone has anything.

PM me.

Great answer, we just need to change the name of the thread to "Meryem what is your opinion on Horse Eels"

Do what makes you happy! :)

Advertisement