Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrianising O'Connell Street (again)

Options
  • 18-05-2011 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

They're talking about it again, and this after the failed last attempt, and the reopening to traffic in its current state.

Personnaly, I think they should, during the last attempt it seemed alot friendlier place, in the sence that pedestians were not tripping over each other, the outdoor dining at 'Bistro Bianconi', and the cafe at the Wine Street end, plus the furniture outisde the two pubs.

This sence has been repeated on St Patricks Day, when the street was closed and on a few various other occasions as well.

But if they are going to pedestrianise it, it has to be done properly. It has to look like a pedestrian street, rather than a street that has been simply closed to traffic. All the utilities have to come together, and update the sewage, the electricity, and comunication lines, rather than digging it up ever few months like they currently do. The roads around O'Connell Street along with the traffic management would also have to be improved.

Now where would they get all the money to do this, looking at todays Sligo Champion, there is a kitty of €500,000. Now its probably not enough to do all of the above, and it may also seem unjustifed following the money that was first spent/wasted to close it, and then reopen it. But if they are to go ahead, hopefully they will learn from the calamity that it was.

Should O'Connell Street be pedestrianised (again)? 37 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 37 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Open it to 2 lanes of traffic, sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I think they should definately pedestrianise it again, the town was much nicer when it was previously and the traffic flow hasn't calmed enough to warrent it remaining open.

When Hargadons, The Bistro and Cafe Fleur had the outside seating area set up, the place seemed more vibrant and welcoming and personally I love sitting outside whenever the opportunity arises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

The traffic was absolutely brutal when it was pedestrianized I thought or am I the only one?

I did like the outdoor dining but that can't be excuse enough to pedestrianize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

the traffic flow hasn't calmed enough to warrent it remaining open.
    That's because of the half arsed job they've made in re-opening it. They should bring it back to two lanes of traffic and it would definitely improve things.

As a pedestrian, I do agree it's nicer pedestrianised for atmosphere and that but as a driver, I much prefer the option of being able to drive down it.

It should never be re-pedestrianised until at least the bridge over the Garavogue is open, giving people an alternative route. If it is pedestrianised it needs to be utilised more, 2 or 3 businesses throwing out a few tables and chairs isn't enough. There should be market stalls, music etc. especially during the summer months. Make it a lively street, would be good from a tourists point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I used to think it should be pedestrianised but as I'm now driving down it to get to Bridge Street then I would rather it was left for traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

UrbanSea wrote: »
    The traffic was absolutely brutal when it was pedestrianized I thought or am I the only one?

I did like the outdoor dining but that can't be excuse enough to pedestrianize it.

This is why if they were to pedestrianise it, they would need to look at the traffic management and planning around it.

Pedestrianising it would be of benifit to the shops and the Johnson Court. At the moment there is little room for pedestians to move, and alot of people just like to get off it as quickly as possible. If is was pedestianised, it would allow people to browse more freely.

I remember the opposite actually, fair enough the first week was going to have teething problems, but the traffic going onto wine street was backed up around adelaide street at times and cars couldn't come around the corner when the lights were green as there was no room. It has since improved obviously!!

It would be great if they done a proper job on it a la Las Ramblas in Barcelona, oh well, one can dream!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

magnumlady wrote: »
    I used to think it should be pedestrianised but as I'm now driving down it to get to Bridge Street then I would rather it was left for traffic.

You were writing that while driving down O'Connell St? That's dangerous, Val. :p

TheQ47 wrote: »
    You were writing that while driving down O'Connell St? That's dangerous, Val. :p

Up, down, same diff :rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

magnumlady wrote: »
    Up, down, same diff :rolleyes:;)

I meant the fact that you were on your computer/phone while driving. Not only dangerous, but illegal!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The fact that when O Connell St is full of cars waiting on lights that traffic backs up in Grattan St, Castle St then Bridge St, Teeling St and also down Market St, I don't see the advantage unless another traffic flow system is in place. I never seen Castle St back up as often when O Connell St was closed. Also Wine St is brutal too because of lights at car park and light a GPO.

However, since theres no money to do a good job on revamping street for pedestrianisation whats the point in closing it again. Although get rid of those God awful bollards. They're shinbeaters for the blind and blockers of emergency vehicles.

That's what I was going to say. Getting across Castle St was an absolute nightmare and Market Street was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

We rarely get the weather for sitting out anyway, I think that'd be a grossly over optimistic reason to pedestrianize the street again. I think it's grand now. The project really doesn't need another mound of money thrown into it, does it?

Just think of all the thousands already wasted on the bloody thing! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

thebuzz wrote: »
    That's because of the half arsed job they've made in re-opening it. They should bring it back to two lanes of traffic and it would definitely improve things.

As a pedestrian, I do agree it's nicer pedestrianised for atmosphere and that but as a driver, I much prefer the option of being able to drive down it.

It should never be re-pedestrianised until at least the bridge over the Garavogue is open, giving people an alternative route. If it is pedestrianised it needs to be utilised more, 2 or 3 businesses throwing out a few tables and chairs isn't enough. There should be market stalls, music etc. especially during the summer months. Make it a lively street, would be good from a tourists point of view.

Leo Vardaker was on the radio this morning saying no new transport projects will begin during this goverment, any expentiture will be spent and possibly improving what is already there, whenever if ever capital projects restart a Garavogue bridge will be a long way down the list.

Keep O Connell st open you know it makes sense.

They need to sort it out and get rid of those bollards. There was an ambulance trying to get down there today and with the cars/bollards/parked cars they didn't have a hope in hell.

Oh and for the record I never text or write whilst driving.

Currently there to much going on on that road. Theres the pavement, the red strips, then the bollards.

Alot of people tend to stick to the pavement, and dont use the red strip to walk along aswell, which leaves the path very crowded at times.

The only reason I can think for that is, is that they think its a cycle lane, which its anything but.

The other thing is the uncontrolled parking on that street, the amount of times I have seen cars parked in the disabled bays, with out blue badges, and cars parked in the loading bays is a joke. If the taffic wardens put the same effort in to that street as they did in to Wine Street car park on a Sunday morning, that would end that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I think you're the only one.
    Lornen wrote: »
    We rarely get the weather for sitting out anyway, I think that'd be a grossly over optimistic reason to pedestrianize the street again. I think it's grand now. The project really doesn't need another mound of money thrown into it, does it?

Just think of all the thousands already wasted on the bloody thing! :rolleyes:
    Not really a good argument though. We don't get any good weather so lets not bother cutting the grass, cos we won't be out there.

O'Connell Street should never have been re-opened to traffic. Let me be clear, I live on the east ward, and it suits me better to have it open to traffic, but I think it should be closed for the benefit of the town. That street has too many pedestrians and wholly inadequate footpaths for the volumes.

Still, the council will waffle some more about it. Here we go again, yawn.....:rolleyes:

Must be.How lonely I feel,despite chatting to other people and they agreed.

Well, now we have a situation where the traffic backs up O'Connell Street and blocks the road over John Street because of one car or two causing more traffic backlogs than if there was constant free access over john street.

Am i missing something here, or how is that an improvement?

Well, now we have a situation where the traffic backs up O'Connell Street and blocks the road over John Street because of one car or two causing more traffic backlogs than if there was constant free access over john street.

Am i missing something here, or how is that an improvement?

I travel home over John Street and have never been blocked by traffic backed up O Connell Street, if it is an issue it can be sorted by a traffic light with a sensor that would red light access to O Connell Street when the traffic is backed up to a certain point and a green light for John Street forcing drivers up that street.

I am highly skeptical that any money will be made available for the street , councillors were told that funds were available last time it was pedestrianised nothing happened that time and that was at the height of the boom.

• Advertisement

if it is an issue it can be sorted by a traffic light with a sensor that would red light access to O Connell Street when the traffic is backed up to a certain point and a green light for John Street forcing drivers up that street.

If people see a red light, they'll just stop and wait on it to go green and exacerbate the situation imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Great news delighted to hear.I would love to see castle,grattan,high,quay,steven,streets all pedestrianised

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cloonton

Fair enough, closing the street to traffic probably will mean it'll snarl up elsewhere, but if developing the O'Connell St area as a proper town centre means that it's a more pleasant place to be, then I think that's a price worth paying. I mean, what's the point having an urban / commercial / cultural hub if people can't enjoy it?

cloonton wrote: »
    Fair enough, closing the street to traffic probably will mean it'll snarl up elsewhere, but if developing the O'Connell St area as a proper town centre means that it's a more pleasant place to be, then I think that's a price worth paying. I mean, what's the point having an urban / commercial / cultural hub if people can't enjoy it?

I thinks thats the idea of the Wine Street carpark development (shopping centre with Debenhams Anchor) if it ever goes ahead.

A pedestianised O'Connell street though would be a good accompaniment to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

No. I agree. The pedestrianisation was nonsense.

It wasn't done for the right reasons anyway. They only wanted a "Galway or Dublin feel". All they got was a turnip stuck in their hole.

Lahm wrote: »
    No. I agree. The pedestrianisation was nonsense.

It wasn't done for the right reasons anyway. They only wanted a "Galway or Dublin feel". All they got was a turnip stuck in their hole.

What's so bad about that? Wanting to emulate the two most thriving counties in Ireland can't be a bad thing, hopefully they will do it properly this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the way it was done was wrong! it should have being first pedestrianised on weekends and then gradually implementing it not bang street closed and that is where it failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

The fact of the matter is is that it was a turd of a pedestrianisation. It didn't hold a matchstick to any other pedestrianisation in Ireland.

The street was dead. Traffic actually livened it up.

Lahm wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is is that it was a turd of a pedestrianisation. It didn't hold a matchstick to any other pedestrianisation in Ireland.

The street was dead. Traffic actually livened it up.

I have to agree and I hate to say it but traffic actually does improve it. I would love to see Stephen St carpark greened over and parking reclaimed on Connaughton Road from squatters but this being Sligo it would probably cost e10m or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Last week in the local paper it was reported that the county council were millions in the red!this week they are talking about spending €500k on changing O Connell st again. Where is the accountability here?how come no one seems to get sacked over this to lack respect of taxpayers(our) money? If it is opened again there will be only a few winners(1)the northern contractor who will get the contract(2) the click of "business" people who seem to have control over our town !

Advertisement