Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

defoe threatens spurs

Options
  • 18-05-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

read this morning that defoe has warned spurs about his lack of game time.

with 4 (maybe 5) goals this league season can he be serious?:confused:

who would pay his wages(id imagine 65,000 a week give or take ) for a striker who only scores 4 times and isnt happy when he is dropped for a very poor return.

in my honest opinion, defoe is a goal scorer. if he isnt scoring goals his contribution to the team in nothing. his link up play is non existant and is a very selfish striker. if he scores....great..... but when he doesnt he surely must expect stick.

opinions please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

Hmm it's difficult to call. He has the potential for a great season but I think it's been a mixture of injury and maybe lack of commitment on his part sometimes that has contributed to his downfall? His return has been very poor this season...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Certainly looked well of the pace this season. If we can get someone better, let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Strange one for me as when he hits a run of form I think 18/19 of the teams in the league would have him in the starting line up. He's been nothing short of shíte this season though. If we get a decent offer and Reading fail to come up I'd flog him and go in for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Get rid. Sell him for £10 - 15 million or something and put that towards refitting our front line. Sell him and Pav (we know Harry won't sell Crouch) and be done with them. He will never score 20 goals for Spurs in the league. Last season he only got 19 because he put 5 past Wigan.

Compare him to Rossi - same size and a similar role, but I'd rather have someone who can actually place the ball in the net rather than just blast it every time he's in front of goal like Defoe does. Outside of VDV he's probably had more game time than any of the other strikers and hasn't done a thing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

i wouldnt call it "threatning spurs"

he said he was disappointed with game time and wanted to play more, thats obvious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

If we want to take a step forward towards challenging at the very top of the league then realistically Defoe will be a 3rd/4th choice striker. He is now 28 years old and he is still pretty much the same player he was when he originally signed for us. His all-round game has not improved one iota, look at Giggs whose game has evolved from a flying winger to a creative central player.

If we have a new striker (Adebayor/Drogba/whoever) with VDV in behind, I'd like to have Crouch in reserve and one other option. Pav is probably a more impactful player when coming off the bench than Defoe.. I'd rather keep Defoe tbh but if he can't accept that he didn't deserve to play each week this season then get rid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

wasnt the lad injured for a lot of the season,end of last season he was banging them in all sides,what defoe needs is to play 90mins every week...

he will score then

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

He's crap, we need to get shot of him in the summer and get someone who doesn't need 10 chances to put it in the net imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Average and no more than that. When he left the last time only Pompey were interested in him and iirc when he came back I don;t think we had to beat off to many other clubs to get him.

Thanks for the goals, some great and best of luck at QPR/Fulham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

He may be average but he's far and away the best striker that Spurs have.

He was injured for a the vast majority of the season and hasn't really gotten back into the squad since properly coming back.

In fairness who on earth would go for Crouch in preference to Defoe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Shane732 wrote: »
    He may be average but he's far and away the best striker that Spurs have.

He was injured for a the vast majority of the season and hasn't really gotten back into the squad since properly coming back.

In fairness who on earth would go for Crouch in preference to Defoe?

With due respect being the best at Spurs is nothing to write home about! If we got 2 new strikers in I'd keep Crouch and Defoe as subs. Wouldn't lsoe any sleep if either of tehm cleared off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

If I was a spurs fan I would want him gone. Spurs need better, you need a top top striker rather than a gaggle of average ones. Thats what Defoe is, average.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

No way has he justified a regular place in the team this season,I think he has a bit of a hard neck to go threatening the club.

tippspur wrote: »
    No way has he justified a regular place in the team this season,I think he has a bit of a hard neck to go threatening the club.

Your starting striker is Crouch!!! He's a complete joke of a player.

Defoe is 10 times the player Crouch is.

I've never seen a man that's so tall not be able to head the ball at all!!

I'm not a spurs fan but I know if I was I want to see Defoe starting. He's the only striker you have that's in any way decent. I do agree that you need a new striker.

I don't have the figures in front of me but I'd say your two top scores this season have been VDV and Bale (who's been in and out of the team with injury for the last couple of months). Neither are strikers.

It's very hard to say that Defoe isn't worth his place in the spurs team. He's a 20 goal striker whereas the rest of your forwards aren't even hitting double figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Defoe has NEVER scored 20 league goals in a single season IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

What an absolute load of bollocks from JD.. He's been pure shíte this season and we are by and far the biggest club he would get regular football for, think about it, United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City & Arsenal = no chance. Villa = no, Sunderland = no, Fulham = no, the only other decent sized clubs he might start for would be NUFC and Everton, end even then he'd be taking a risk. He should learn to shut his mouth and get on with the job, Niko could teach him a few things..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Defoe seems more interested in falling out of nightclubs with tarts, than putting a bit more effort into his all round game. As a poster stated earlier if he's not bagging goals he is useless, no tracking back, poor link up etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Defoe seems more interested in falling out of nightclubs with tarts, than putting a bit more effort into his all round game. As a poster stated earlier if he's not bagging goals he is useless, no tracking back, poor link up etc..

thats ledley king u must be thinking of , the guy that everyone loves and can do as he pleases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

Your starting striker is Crouch!!! He's a complete joke of a player.

Defoe is 10 times the player Crouch is.

I've never seen a man that's so tall not be able to head the ball at all!!

I'm not a spurs fan but I know if I was I want to see Defoe starting. He's the only striker you have that's in any way decent. I do agree that you need a new striker.

I don't have the figures in front of me but I'd say your two top scores this season have been VDV and Bale (who's been in and out of the team with injury for the last couple of months). Neither are strikers.

It's very hard to say that Defoe isn't worth his place in the spurs team. He's a 20 goal striker whereas the rest of your forwards aren't even hitting double figures.

Its as plain as day that if you are going to play VDV in the hole, you need a striker that can lead the line and occupy the centre backs.

This isnt what Defoe does and suffers. He was a little unlucky to get injured just after getting the hattrick for England, but we need a different type of player now.

Defoe also lost the battle vs Keane when Berbatov was looking for a partner. Take the five goals against Wigan out of last year's total as well and things arent fantastic. Stats dont tell you everything,

Morgans wrote: »
    Its as plain as day that if you are going to play VDV in the hole, you need a striker that can lead the line and occupy the centre backs.

This isnt what Defoe does and suffers. He was a little unlucky to get injured just after getting the hattrick for England, but we need a different type of player now.

Defoe also lost the battle vs Keane when Berbatov was looking for a partner. Take the five goals against Wigan out of last year's total as well and things arent fantastic. Stats dont tell you everything,

I totally agree with you that Defoe isn't a top quality striker but what I'm saying is that he's the best striker you have.

Would any of you rate Crouch as a better striker than Defoe?

Defoe and Crouch have scored the same number of league goals this year. How many appearances has Defoe made vs Crouch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

Dont know. But again, it doesnt tell you the whole story. Crouch set up VdV for goals that kept Spurs above mid-table before Christmas and you can see that they have had an effective partnership. Defoe tends not to do partnerships. And yes, I would bank on Defoe on outscoring Crouch 9 years out of 10, but as I said, it doesnt tell the whole story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I totally agree with you that Defoe isn't a top quality striker but what I'm saying is that he's the best striker you have.

Would any of you rate Crouch as a better striker than Defoe?

Defoe and Crouch have scored the same number of league goals this year. How many appearances has Defoe made vs Crouch?

I'd rather Crouch tbh. He seems happy to be a semi-regular starter and is a useful back-up. As stated above he has a good understanding with VDV also. Crouch is capable of doing a solid job as the lone striker and he is a good impact option off the bench if a change of approach is required. He also proved to be an extremely effective option in European games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Average and no more than that. When he left the last time only Pompey were interested in him and iirc when he came back I don;t think we had to beat off to many other clubs to get him.

Thanks for the goals, some great and best of luck at QPR/Fulham.

agreed Pat

he's a flash in the pan player, has an amazing game 2 or 3 times a season.

mostly average, a shadow of the player we signed from Wham in 04

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I dont often agree with Harry :D but I thought his comments here were spot on. Shut your mouth and do your talking on the pitch.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6941984,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I heard that, I'd say Redknapp wouldn't lose any sleep if Defoe walked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

mickman wrote: »
    i wouldnt call it "threatning spurs"

he said he was disappointed with game time and wanted to play more, thats obvious

it was their headline. i only repeated it

Advertisement