Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any remedies for redwater ground

• 18-05-2011 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

have a neighbour who bought ground grazed it tight last winter but is after finding dead two year bullock with redwater any ideas on how to rid
    no ploughing as very craggy thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

As Pakalasa said, Bayticol is the solution. While it won't leave your cattle 100% redwater immune, it reduces the risk by over 75%.

Years ago, before any fancy pour-ons we used to wash the underbellies of our cattle 3 or 4 times a year with Jeyes Fluid to kill any tics that may be on them. Don't know if it made any difference, but it was done anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

cheers for that

will pass on i was wondering if there is any thing that he can do with land .

jerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Neighbour got a couple of Donkeys and the problem disappeared overnight. he swears by them but I think there were other factors that were altered along with the introduction of the donkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

i was just talking to him and he was on his way to pick up a mare donkey to leave in to field ... i wonder if it will do he said he heard it from a dealer.

comments!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Heard of people having a donkey on land with cattle before to prevent against redwater. Dunno how or why...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

if rearing his own stock , put them in as calves or weanlings, they will build up immunity, grazing bare with sheep also helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

reilig wrote: »
    As Pakalasa said, Bayticol is the solution. While it won't leave your cattle 100% redwater immune, it reduces the risk by over 75%.

Years ago, before any fancy pour-ons we used to wash the underbellies of our cattle 3 or 4 times a year with Jeyes Fluid to kill any tics that may be on them. Don't know if it made any difference, but it was done anyway.
    the blackleg vaccine covers a redwater strain and a sheep farmer was telling me the jeyes fluid is not as good as it use to be he used it to kill the maggots on the sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

heard of goats being run with stock too aid againest it.something in there urine i think??? pig slurry another one and liming the ground.thing i,de go for the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

snowman707 wrote: »
    if rearing his own stock , put them in as calves or weanlings, they will build up immunity.......
    the blackleg vaccine covers a redwater strain .....

+1
    +1

These two have certainly worked for me - I always vaccinate with Covexin 8 and never yet had it in home reared stock - only ever in bought in cattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

the blackleg vaccine covers a redwater strain

Different type of redwater altogether, that cows get after they calve in some parts of Munster, not the kind ticks carry.

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

the blackleg vaccine covers a redwater strain and a sheep farmer was telling me the jeyes fluid is not as good as it use to be he used it to kill the maggots on the sheep.

Totally agree about the jayes Fluid. It changed 4 or 5 years ago. It doesn't turn the water a milky white anymore and there is no strong smell off it either. Use it for maggots in sheep too and recent years doesn't se eit working as well as in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I think we use to spray the cattle with da budget twice during the summer, seemed to keep it under control.

Use to be a real pain were I grew up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Lost a cow in 08 ( bought in). Think tick prefers dense overgrown untopped pasture/ rushes/ ferns. That's maybe where the donkey/ goats come in but I wouldn't rely on that.

It's definitely in our area so anything I bought or would buy in the future I cover in pour on and also get vaccination shot from vet (20euro for piece of mind).

There is an island near me where practically all cattle taken off it got redwater as no tick present on island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Totally agree about the jayes Fluid. It changed 4 or 5 years ago. It doesn't turn the water a milky white anymore and there is no strong smell off it either. Use it for maggots in sheep too and recent years doesn't se eit working as well as in the past.

Tactic / Tixol may be an alternative...?

True, Reilig.

I think when they took the carcinogens and toxic chemicals out of Jeye's Fluid there wasn't much left.

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Father had goat running with cattle and was one of only a few local farmers not to have cattle with redwater over the years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The ticks survive on long stemmy grass, AFAIK there are two risky times for it, now and again in July.

One way to get rid of it is destroy the long stemmy grass, just blitz it by grazing it really bare, block graze it if you have a big area and not enough cattle. Worked for me.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

What kind of ground or grazing is this usually in lads. I often heard the ould fella talkin about red mourn/water, must be the same thing. We never had a case of it so was wondering what causes it. Is it rougher ground that has alot of ticks or what. Thanks folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kielmost

pakalasa wrote: »

How long does Bayticol work for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

kielmost wrote: »
    How long does Bayticol work for?

Average in my view, seen a guy who I buy animals for using it in the hope of it stopping redwater cases but it didnt, maybe it reduced the incidence a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Why not just use dip? 1 or 2 litre bottle with a sports cap on it, gives little waste and a directional squirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

From what i'm told the tick likes long stemmy pasture which has sorta died back in the butt as its the perfect habitat which harbours the vector( the tick) best way to stop the cycle is to remove a part of its life cycle i.e ensure the ground is grazed tight in the autumn and leave no cover of grass on the field for the frost to kill in the winter and this should help reduce the problem, but if it was me i would also use a pour on to kill the ticks and try not to buy cattle in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I've just noticed this thread!! I have to put Bayticol on my cattle every 3 weeks! It's a real pain!!!! Missed once earlier this summer as the weather wasnt great and you need a hour or two for the pour on to day, and when we went to field to put it on about 4 days later found two bullocks with red water. They weren't too bad, but it could have been a very expensive 4 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Anyone use Imizol or can it still be got?

Nothing like red water to make you herd your cattle properly!
    Far easier to see a bullock with it than a heifer. I spent way to much time as a youth looking at it. Reseeding got rid of it with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

Silly Question; Can it be passed in silage? Farmer down the road trying to tell us it can, surely not!

yesman2000 wrote: »
    Silly Question; Can it be passed in silage? Farmer down the road trying to tell us it can, surely not!

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Something in the journal a few weeks back said something about blood transfusion

mjcom4d wrote: »
    Something in the journal a few weeks back said something about blood transfusion

Was this in relation to red water?
    I've seen several transfusions in my time, grand when they work, but I seen them fail miserably too after all the work.
    I think a transfusion is really a last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭reps4

KatyMac wrote: »
    I've just noticed this thread!! I have to put Bayticol on my cattle every 3 weeks! It's a real pain!!!! Missed once earlier this summer as the weather wasnt great and you need a hour or two for the pour on to day, and when we went to field to put it on about 4 days later found two bullocks with red water. They weren't too bad, but it could have been a very expensive 4 days.

Hi,

Have redwater ground also, have a few questions/comments..

Use bayticol, still approx 1/5 will get affected.

1. can calves get infected, only ever had it in suckler cows.
    2. can animals get immune to Baytical
    3. how do animals get immune to the tick? can licks etc help do this
    4. wonder would spray kill the tick.#

Thanks.

reps4 wrote: »
    Hi,

Have redwater ground also, have a few questions/comments..

Use bayticol, still approx 1/5 will get affected.
    1. can calves get infected, only ever had it in suckler cows.
    No cattle can't get it until they are about 6 months old
    2. can animals get immune to Baytical
    No but ticks can get resistant to any product that is heavily used. Haven't heard of it with Bayticol
    3. how do animals get immune to the tick? can licks etc help do this
    No licks won't help, but if they get redwater (or if they get bitten and infected while protected by Imizol) they can become resistant for life - so preventive use of Imizol is probably a better strategy for heavily infested land than Bayticol
    4. wonder would spray kill the tick.
    Nothing that is currently available. They are well protected because they live at the base of the grass for most of the year, and only some of them will climb up the grass in the spring and autumn when they are looking for a victim.
    Thanks.
    You're welcome

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Bizzum wrote: »
    mjcom4d wrote: »

Was this in relation to red water?
    I've seen several transfusions in my time, grand when they work, but I seen them fail miserably too after all the work.
    I think a transfusion is really a last resort.

Yea it was on about redwater and the murrain I think you can vaccinate against it if you've got muirrain land when you buy in cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Good loser

Grandad had land taken in Roscommon in the thirties and had plenty redwater; herder would notify him by telegram of a loss.
    Was cured by stocking the place with horses one Winter. They grazed it so tight all the ticks died. Don't know about the horses!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

LostCovey wrote: »
    Different type of redwater altogether, that cows get after they calve in some parts of Munster, not the kind ticks carry.

LC

Just to tidy up a few points:

Redwater = Bovine Haemoglobinuria = Babesiosis = disease transfered from ticks.

Bacillary Haemoglobinuria = bacterial disease caused by a member of the Clostridium family, in the Clostridial vaccine.

Post-parturient Haemoglobinuria= Phosphorus deficiency caused, occurs after calving.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Just to tidy up a few points:

Redwater = Bovine Haemoglobinuria = Babesiosis = disease transfered from ticks.

Bacillary Haemoglobinuria = bacterial disease caused by a member of the Clostridium family, in the Clostridial vaccine.

Post-parturient Haemoglobinuria= Phosphorus deficiency caused, occurs after calving.

Thanks Greysides you're quite right, I have never had either of the last 2 types and I mixed them up.

LC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭the al kid

A n uncle of mine had a big stretch of land rented that was undergrazed for years when he took it over-he had about 70-80% rates of
    redwater in the cattle he put on it .Ended up using Imazol as a preventative which worked quite well.He grazed it very tightly with sheep the following winter and restocked with cattle the following spring.He was going to give the cattle Imazol again when he was introducing new cattle back into the land but his vet told him to wait for the first case and then give the Imazol.The strange thing is he had no redwater that year .He had the land for many years ,grazed tight with sheep for the winter and redwater problem disappeared.This backs up what conflats and other posters have said.but the grazing tight during the winter allows the ticks to die off.In my view horses are selective grazers and will allow some areas of long tufty grass to survive.

Al

Advertisement