Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bark mulch prices?

Options
  • 18-05-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I have a large area (50 -60m2) of very steep ground covered in black geo textile, but it doesnt look well, i have rocks across it also im hoping over time to get ground cover plants and shrubs going in it as a rockery, but the geo tex is getting damaged by the dog and the elements as is very windy and nettles and thistles will take over again if i leave it.
    What or where is the cheapest mulch to get in the midlands area,
    What is the best way to put it on, regarding depth and do you have to maintain that stuff once its down?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

if you put bark on a weedcontrol fabric that is on a hill it will just wash and slide down in the wind and rain ,gauranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

That may be so;) but i still have tons of flat area to keep a low maintainance level, anyone have any idea on best mulch prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Tty these guys for bulk
    http://www.kinbark.ie/
    http://www.countrylife.ie do tote bags €65

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Or you could try a local tree surgeon - sometimes they're only too glad to get rid of woodchip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I am thinking about buying a cheap branch shredder to chip all the branches up, is this ideal as mulch?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Bark mulch (in theory) doesn't break down as quickly as wood chip. I find that most shreddings make a very good compost eventually, but it all depends on what you're shredding i.e. leaf matter or wood, green or brown and the size of the chips. A thick (5" +) layer of green matter shredded, will generate enough heat to kill many weedlings when applied to a bed. And the soil will be enriched too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Op,i do proper bark mulch, delivered,i think once you are putting in rocks and shrubs and your textile is ripped a bit it will all help hold your bark on the steep gradient,I reckon you might need about 6 cu metres (approx 3 ton0 at 3 inches for that area,pm me if you are still looking for loose bark delivered.

tipptom wrote: »
    Op,i do proper bark mulch, delivered,i think once you are putting in rocks and shrubs and your textile is ripped a bit it will all help hold your bark on the steep gradient,I reckon you might need about 6 cu metres (approx 3 ton0 at 3 inches for that area,pm me if you are still looking for loose bark delivered.

Is there anything added to bark mulch to preserve it?

slowburner wrote: »
    Is there anything added to bark mulch to preserve it?
    No,its as it comes of the trees,its getting a bit scarcer now as some of the timber is coming in without the bark as its dropping of in the wood.

It's Spruce bark - I presume? I have memories of a creosotey smell from some bark mulch - does Spruce bark smell this way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Generally about 65 euro per cubic metre

Generally about 65 euro per cubic metre
    Yea,i see that,but i think thats way to expensive,thats working out at about €130 a ton.I think these cubic bags are a low on volume and high on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Thanks very much for your info, thats exactly the details I needed to know, I wasnt asking the right people in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

tipptom wrote: »
    Yea,i see that,but i think thats way to expensive,thats working out at about €130 a ton.I think these cubic bags are a low on volume and high on price.

If you went for wood chip instead it could work out much cheaper. Look for a local recycling centre that might do this, could be local scrap dealer

Advertisement