Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping Your Tattoo Artist

Options
  • 18-05-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi guys/gals

I was just wondering, do you always tip your tattoo artist after getting a tattoo done or is it only if they have done a big piece?

I've always tipped my tattoo artist but some of my friends never do. Do many people give the artist a tip after finishing the piece?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

before I start, I am biased :)

I always tip my tattoo artist, always. In saying that, it is rare that I am not getting something huge done. Also, I almost always tip cab drivers, hairdressers, waitresses and waiters, and bar persons if I am sitting at the bar all night.

I don't think tattoo artists expect it per se. I have had tips turned down from me and I have turned down tips from customers. I wouldn't stress it one way or the other in this country. It may be different in other countries though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

yeh , i tip the artists , there puting art on your body for life , so its worth it
    and usualy when you tip , they know your gona return lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

How much of a tip though? :D

For instance an extra 50 or just the price of a few pints?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TYJ

Why should you have to tip them? You are paying them enough already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

The tattoo artist is not getting the full amount. I'm not sure what split is taken, I think it depends on the studio but 50/50 or 60/40 in favour of the owner, then you gotta factor in tax and all that other jazz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I tipped the lads that done my first one. Main reason was I didn't wanna wait for the change. Was running out the door with my sleeve up so everyone could see how cool I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

seanybiker wrote: »
    I tipped the lads that done my first one. Main reason was I didn't wanna wait for the change. Was running out the door with my sleeve up so everyone could see how cool I am.

At least i'm not the only 1 :D

Personally i think the price of a pint or 2 wouldn't do any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

Clohane wrote: »

Personally i think the price of a pint or 2 wouldn't do any harm

Ya my normal tip is about €20

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'd always give them something. After all if they've helped sketch out something for you or coming up with a design or even freehanding and then tattooing you it's the least I can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

I never tip anyone but my tattoo guy was my exception! I gave him a 20 extra but then he threw in the cream for free. Thats not why I done it and didnt expect anything back because the piece he had done was so good. I think it depends on how good the work is, tbh I hadn't even thought about tipping him but he made me cry when I saw what he done so it was the least I could do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭celtenal

Taylor21 wrote: »
    I never tip anyone but my tattoo guy was my exception! I gave him a 20 extra but then he threw in the cream for free. Thats not why I done it and didnt expect anything back because the piece he had done was so good. I think it depends on how good the work is, tbh I hadn't even thought about tipping him but he made me cry when I saw what he done so it was the least I could do!

Who did your work? Sounds like somebody very very good?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

celtenal wrote: »
    Who did your work? Sounds like somebody very very good?

Junior in G's tattoo Galway! Barely a word of english but sound man and bloody talented! I'm getting my next off him soon and I keep having nightmares that he dies! I've only met the man twice and this is how much I admire him lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭celtenal

Taylor21 wrote: »
    Junior in G's tattoo Galway! Barely a word of english but sound man and bloody talented! I'm getting my next off him soon and I keep having nightmares that he dies! I've only met the man twice and this is how much I admire him lol!
    Cheers bro.,I'm certainly going to check out his work.

Advertisement