Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice, various options

Options
  • 18-05-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭

Not sure what to do. Need some advice. My 4850 just died(for the last time) and im not sure what to do.
    Not sure whether to just get another 4850 or similar card. Upgrade my cpu+ get a new card, or upgrade the whole lot

Ive got:
    e7200 C2D CPU @ 3Ghz
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    P35 gigabyte mobo socket 775

My monitor is only a 19" and the res goes to 1440*900, but i dont really see any need to upgrade it.

Games im gonna wanna play in the future are gonna be: BF3, Witcher 2, Guild wars 2, Shogun 2, Skyrim.

So my options are:
    1) Just get another cheap-ish/second hand GPU of similar performance to the 4850 and stick with that for another year or so. Dont need to upgrade anything else, can keep my other parts.

2) Get a more powerful card, maybe a gtx 460, then upgrade the whole lot (mobo/cpu/ram) later on in the year. With like a phenom X4 etc. Might not be worth it if im only running at 1440*900 ?

3) Get a socket 775 quad core of some sort and a new card and stick with that. Then i can keep my current mobo and ram and just upgrade the cpu.

4) ???

Sorta pulling out random thoughts, but im looking online and seeing what to do. Kinda low on funds at the moment, and when it comes to games i dont really mind playing on low-medium i just want a guaranteed minimum 40 fps.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

A 460 wouldn't be that much more powerful. I don't think it's worth upgrading the platform just now with AMD's new stuff just around the corner. While we don't know much about BF3 and Skyrim, they'd probably benefit from more cores. Getting a quad core would help a lot, but I don't think I'd bother unless it was very cheap as S775 will be looking very old soon.

You could get something like a 460 (maybe better to get 6850/6870) and get a second one if you needed more power with a platform upgrade later?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Monotype wrote: »
    A 460 wouldn't be that much more powerful. I don't think it's worth upgrading the platform just now with AMD's new stuff just around the corner. While we don't know much about BF3 and Skyrim, they'd probably benefit from more cores. Getting a quad core would help a lot, but I don't think I'd bother unless it was very cheap as S775 will be looking very old soon.

You could get something like a 460 (maybe better to get 6850/6870) and get a second one if you needed more power with a platform upgrade later?

Oh yeah, never thought about the SLI, but dont a lot of games not fully utilise dual cards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

They'd be in the minority now (in terms of modern, mainstream games). One card is always preferable with usually less heat and power, but it's a good stepping stone upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Well after looking into a bit more i realized without a good high-res monitor then all the other parts wouldnt be worth it so i'd need a full system upgrade, which would be about 600, which i dont have. So i think ill try to get a 2nd hand card then when i've got some money coming in upgrade the whole lot.

Kinda wish i was a console gamer :P

Out of curiosity, what do you think of this setup:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 - 3.2 GHz, 6 MB L3 Cache, AM3 -€ 109,90

SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY Radeon HD 6870 - 1 GB GDDR5 -€ 139

SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY PURE CrossFireX 890GX - AM3 -€ 94,90

Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24" Wide TFT Screen (2 ms) -€ 189,90

Corsair XMS3 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL9 Memory -€ 43,90

€ 577,60.

Advertisement