Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dashboard update may not be compatible with your 360

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I'll check those articles out when I get home, but if I'm one of the lucky unlucky ones with an affected console, will they transfer all save files from my HDD or should I back them up just incase?

Whens the update due out anyway? Is it the fall update?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not sure which update it is about but looks like a big security update that is going to work with the new 360 discs that remove the security feature and add an extra gig to the disc. I think the big thing is that this update will directly flash the DVD drive firmware for the first time and some of the older DVD drives aren't compatible.

As for the HDD back up thing, I'm not sure but I'd say MS will probably have a way to let you back it up or else send you a transfer kit and let you hang on to the HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Have a spare 360 at home... fingers crossed it doesn't work!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

Ever since I got the first map pack for Black ops and downloaded it my Xbox won't load discs properly. If I put in a game disc and try and play it the console brings me to a white screen saying play dvd and it won't play the game so I have to open the drive 2 or three times before it will read it as a game disc and load it. I wonder will this entitle me to a new slim version or will it only apply to consoles once the new dashboard is downloaded?? Fingers crossed, I would'nt mind a new slim version for free.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Update is out tomorrow it seems.

Old refurb 20GB refurb with the oldest CPU chipset and 20GB hard drive for a brand new one? May the videogaming gods smile upon me tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Article just posted on Destructoid.

http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-360-firmware-ruins-several-xbox-360-consoles-201411.phtml
    It's been a while since we were able to make fun of Microsoft for its ****ty hardware, but now we can take a break from the PSN controversy to wonder exactly how a company can release an Xbox 360 firmware update that renders a console unable to play retail games. Oh, Microsoft!

The latest update renders "a very small number" of Xbox 360s unable to read retail discs. Microsoft has said that it will be replacing any older, affected consoles with newer ones.

"Following a recent update to our system software, we have become aware of an issue that is preventing a very small number of Xbox 360 owners from playing retail game discs," said the company. "This issue manifests itself a as a unique 'disc unreadable' or 'disc unsupported' error on the screen. We are also able to detect this issue over Xbox Live and are proactively reaching out to customers that may be impacted to replace their console."

The issue relates to the fact that the latest update will rewrite the disc drive in order to use a new, pirate-fighting DVD format. Yet again, paying customers screwed over at the hands of a futile piracy battle. Still, at least MS screwed itself worse, since it needs to do the replacements.

Still, it's almost like those annoying, "I have a launch console and it never red-ringed" people are getting a kick in the nuts from karma. Microsoft has said that anybody affected can reach out via the Xbox support site. So do that.

360 firmware incompatible with older consoles [GI.biz]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Any word on how to go about checking if you have an effected console?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

chin_grin wrote: »

Hmmm, so what if your warranty is void? Will Microsoft still take your console and replace with a new one?

calex71 wrote: »
    Any word on how to go about checking if you have an effected console?

You'll get disc read errors, if you read the articles it tells you. I'm guess the firmware flash of the DVD drive will screw it up if you have an affected model and won't read any games.
    justryan wrote: »
    Hmmm, so what if your warranty is void? Will Microsoft still take your console and replace with a new one?

I assume so. Sure they've been replacing RROD's out of warranty. Also this is an MS fault. They broke your console so it's up to them to rectify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Part of me hopes my xbox is affected and then there is the part of me that says La Noire is out friday and if my xbox is affected I won't be playing it.
    Damn you Microsoft....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I've got a few original Xbox 360s lying around, I bet it's the Hitachi drive that's incompatible. Any word whether this trade-in is available to Europe customers? I know the beta dash was released in America first

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

chin_grin wrote: »
    Article just posted on Destructoid.
    Are Destructoid always that bitchy or are they just anti-Microsoft? I generally see the update as a good thing. More disc space and more up-to-date anti-piracy measures - both an improvement for consumers and developers.

Sure, a small number of consoles will be affected, but at least Microsoft are: taking positive steps to rectify the issue; keeping customers in the loop and informing them ahead of time; not burying their head in the sand and hoping no-one will notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

my original xbox with 20gb harddrive that doesnt even have hd connections better not work since its sounding like a chainsaw with the last year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I assume so. Sure they've been replacing RROD's out of warranty. Also this is an MS fault. They broke your console so it's up to them to rectify it.

Wrong. They EXTENDED the warranty for RROD, but once you're past the extended three year warranty, it's tough luck. No replacement outside warranty at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

You'll get disc read errors, if you read the articles it tells you. I'm guess the firmware flash of the DVD drive will screw it up if you have an affected model and won't read any games.

I read them but wasn't clear as to whether it would throw up a disk read error on all games or just new ones with the new disk format if you get me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Are Destructoid always that bitchy or are they just anti-Microsoft? I generally see the update as a good thing. More disc space and more up-to-date anti-piracy measures - both an improvement for consumers and developers.

I think it's just yer man Jim Sterlings delivery. He's very tongue-in-cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Being semi serious for a while. This is good customer service on Microsoft behalf supposed they realised from the Sony incident that "were sorry" only works for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I assume mine will be too up to date, damn it. Tempted to head into Gamestop etc. to see if they have any old ones lying around. :pac:

Wrong. They EXTENDED the warranty for RROD, but once you're past the extended three year warranty, it's tough luck. No replacement outside warranty at all.

Got mine replaced 6 months out of warranty. Might just have been lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Anyone I know who had their console RRoD got it replaced, several out of warranty. From what I've heard from people it seems any RRoD gets replaced pretty easily.

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    I read them but wasn't clear as to whether it would throw up a disk read error on all games or just new ones with the new disk format if you get me.

The eurogamer article says some new games so I'm assuming it's the ones that use the new disc format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

wont be long untill the geeks have a new firmware to flash ur drive with.hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

I've an original non RROD console with an hitachi drive. I've also flashed it so I can backup all my games. So I wonder will I get a replacement or will they say bugger pirate scum?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

May the videogaming gods smile upon me tomorrow.

I've got 2 chances at this so heres hoping
    ]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Ive an xbox with a 2006 manufactured hitatchi drive, Might have a hope of it been incompatible

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

My console is banned from LIVE so a new console would do nicely.

What would happen if your warranty sticker is void I wonder?

well if its void its useless im afraid..well mine is benq flashed to the latest lt+1.1 so hopefully it wont be that..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

How do I find out what dvd drive I have? It's a 20gb with HDMI, probably about four years old now. Fingers tightly crossed here that it has the problem, I could do with the 250GB model, totally out of HD space

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Ehhh... I very much doubt MS will replace flashed xbox's with brand new ones... its piracy like, you hardly expect them to give a person who is pirating xbox games a new one?

• Advertisement

well i dont want a new one im very happy with my flashed one downloading games the whole time..long live piracy

Advertisement