Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dashboard update may not be compatible with your 360

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Ehhh... I very much doubt MS will replace flashed xbox's with brand new ones... its piracy like, you hardly expect them to give a person who is pirating xbox games a new one?
    Well they gave me a different one when it got RROD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Ehhh... I very much doubt MS will replace flashed xbox's with brand new ones... its piracy like, you hardly expect them to give a person who is pirating xbox games a new one?

If they can't be flashed they might, they may see it as a way to make pirates start buying games again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

wont be long b4 we can buy these blank dvds anyway to copy again and someone will get round this piracy thing quicker than u think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Eh yes of course I do. I fully expect them to replace my xbox if they intentionally send out an update that knowingly breaks it. This is a question of hardware, not software piracy. What I do with my xbox is my business. It's very common for people to open up machines and tinker around and totally 100% legal. Intentionally breaking peoples machines and refusing to replace them I'm almost certain is illegal. Whether M$ give a **** is the question.

Software piracy is another issue altogether. Software pirates should be prosecuted. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

wonder will you still get it replaced it the warranty sticker was removed to clean the dust and ****e from the fans and vents

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,782 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

20goto10 wrote: »
    Eh yes of course I do. I fully expect them to replace my xbox if they intentionally send out an update that knowingly breaks it. This is a question of hardware, not software piracy. What I do with my xbox is my business. It's very common for people to open up machines and tinker around and totally 100% legal.

Software piracy is another issue.

I'm afraid that the expression 'shit out of luck' applies if you void your warranty and update your machine and it breaks. They might be nice about it but I severely doubt they will. You are free to do whatever you want with your console but if you do you're on your own.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm afraid that the expression 'shit out of luck' applies if you void your warranty and update your machine and it breaks. They might be nice about it but I severely doubt they will. You are free to do whatever you want with your console but if you do you're on your own.
    That's how the warranty works. But is it how the law works? I'm willing to find out. It's as simple as lodging a claim with the small claims court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

That's how the warranty works. But is it how the law works? I'm willing to find out. It's as simple as lodging a claim with the small claims court.

you're on about lawsuits and you dont even know if it will effect your console yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Looks like we are out of luck :(
    Those hoping the upcoming new Xbox 360 firmware will bork your console and thus qualify you for a shiny new one could be out of luck.

Microsoft has told Eurogamer this evening that the disc read error reported by users has nothing to do with the new firmware.

Instead, the problem is tied to an already released software update that changed the way your Xbox 360 reads discs.

In other words, if your console isn't already borked, you don't qualify.

"This issue is unrelated to the upcoming release that has been in public beta," Microsoft said.

"Additionally, this disc read error message is tied to a change in the disc reading algorithms in a recent software update and is not specific to older or newer versions of Xbox 360."

This morning Microsoft confirmed it was aware of 'disc unreadable' or 'disc unsupported' errors that were preventing "a very small number of Xbox 360 owners from playing retail game discs".

"We are also able to detect this issue over Xbox Live and are proactively reaching out to customers that may be impacted to replace their console," Microsoft said.

iMuse wrote: »
    Looks like we are out of luck :(

I'd still expect a new xbox from them were this problem to occur on my modded xbox. There's nothing to suggest they wouldn't. They can't even detect a modded box running retail games.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

I'd still expect a new xbox from them were this problem to occur on my nodded xbox. There's nothing to suggest they wouldn't. They can't even detect a nodded box running retail games.
    If they go to replace an xbox, obviously the will send a courier to collect your old console, test it to see if its modded, and if so, they will say the flashed illegal firmware was what caused the damage with the new firmware. Sorry, but Microsoft hate loosing money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

But if you flash it back to stock firmware how are they to know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Im sure microsofts employees will be able to tell....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,782 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The dream is over :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

so what are we entitled to exactly if someone is affacted by the new update?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    so what are we entitled to exactly if someone is affacted by the new update?
    Nothing, if your xbox was not affected by the last update then you dont get anything. If your xbox is bricked after the new update, im not sure, but they may just repair your xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Can someone clear up a few things ?

I'll presume, hypothetically speaking, that if you're running a modded xbox with a flashed dvd drive and playing back up copies of games, that you should keep your console off-line and not download the new dashboard if you want to continue playing said backed-up games ?

Also, does this mean that if you were to do this, new games that are coming out will no longer work in above mentioned modded xbox, regardless of whether they are a back up or a fully legal purchased game ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

ratedR wrote: »

I'll presume, hypothetically speaking, that if you're running a modded xbox with a flashed dvd drive and playing back up copies of games, that you should keep your console off-line and not download the new dashboard if you want to continue playing said backed-up games ?

Also, does this mean that if you were to do this, new games that are coming out will no longer work in above mentioned modded xbox, regardless of whether they are a back up or a fully legal purchased game ?
    You download the update, you can no longer play pirated games.

You don't download the update? You can't play new games that use the updated format

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am actuolly shocked with amount of modded consoles here. I thought it's very very rare in these lands. I guess not.

Wasn't that update coming today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

thought it's very very rare in these lads.

Clarify ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

couldnt be arsed modding my xbox, but would love a newer, quieter xbox.

Fingers crossed for the update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

just reading from websites there that microsoft have confirmed that no consoles will be affected by the update.it has been tested on all xbox consoles with no errors to report so i think we will be ok but no new xbox for free it looks like:(

Clarify ?

Crap that ad to be lands not lads. Freaking iPhone spell checker is a fecking joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Hasn't rolled out for me yet, anyway. Might not be getting it here for a few days

Healium wrote: »
    Hasn't rolled out for me yet, anyway. Might not be getting it here for a few days

was just about to go and turn on xbox to see update... you saved me a trip to living room ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Update is out tomorrow it seems.

Old refurb 20GB refurb with the oldest CPU chipset and 20GB hard drive for a brand new one? May the videogaming gods smile upon me tomorrow.

This update is only for the US, the rest of the world will start on the 23rd and it will run until the 1st of June.

As for incompatible consoles: People who get a message on the dashboard of the console that their console is not supporting the new Disc format will be contacted by Microsoft to arrange everything regarding replacement (lucky bastards :D ) and transfer of data etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

It's only a matter of time before c4eva has a new firmware out to get past this hiccup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

Had to install the new dash to play la noire. Everthing works fine. Not subscribed to live so don't know what happens there, but as far as new dash and all the updates goes it seems to just be an urban myth that it blocks backup games. From my experience anywho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

ill prob jus hold off the update till its all sorted, im sure id be fine though, got the new slim the week it was out id imagine its grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

folan wrote: »
    couldnt be arsed modding my xbox, but would love a newer, quieter xbox.

Fingers crossed for the update.

Yeah wouldn't mind a new xbox myself we have a 2009 model altough i've never had any problems at all with it, it still sounds like a hair drier when reading a disc :P
    Installing the game to the hard drive sorts this but still only have a 20GB hard drive must get a new one soon:)

Advertisement