Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dashboard update may not be compatible with your 360

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Had to install the new dash to play la noire. Everthing works fine. Not subscribed to live so don't know what happens there, but as far as new dash and all the updates goes it seems to just be an urban myth that it blocks backup games. From my experience anywho.

I've not had to update anything to play LA Noire, or Dirt 3.

I'm going to hold off on the update for now though. I never play online and just in case it does block them, I'm not going to chance it so I can still play my backup games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Had to install the new dash to play la noire. Everthing works fine. Not subscribed to live so don't know what happens there, but as far as new dash and all the updates goes it seems to just be an urban myth that it blocks backup games. From my experience anywho.
    I'd doubt those running consoles for "playing backups" are in the clear yet.

What Microsoft have done in the past is issue an update and let that run for a bit and then just before the release of a highly anticipated game will wield the banhammer.

That way, they make their point by banning consoles that can play backed up games and can separate that chatter from people saying "The new Dash update borked my console" because the bans swept in at the same time as the update released.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

If a console has been tampered with the new update WILL recognize it.
    This however only has an impact as soon as you connect to XBox LIVE, so if you play offline and offline only then it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

When was the update released that did cause the problem?
    I haven't done any updates since Feb/March
    I've an xmas 2007 model with 10gb hd and it's louder than my PC

When was the update released that did cause the problem?
    I haven't done any updates since Feb/March
    I've an xmas 2007 model with 10gb hd and it's louder than my PC

Last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Last week.
    Someone mentioned earlier in the thread than it was a previous update not the most recent.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread than it was a previous update not the most recent.

Some of the issues (Like disc read problems) are caused by the update from October (or November) but this update sort of kickstarts those problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bytesize

I have been getting disk read errors/disc not recognized errors as of late. It seems to only happen with games I have not installed on my hdd. It has happened on 'Vanquished' & 'Prototype'. It effected 'Prototype' more though.

I had to do mulitple restarts and eject/reinserts to get them working. Pain in the nut sack. I reached out to microsoft to see what was up and got a generic reply;

Thank you for contacting Xbox Support.

To resolve the error message you describe, please follow these steps:

- Check if the disc is dirty, scratched or otherwise damaged.

- If the disc is dirty, please clean it with a soft, lint-free cloth (this cloth should be free of chemical fluids). When cleaning, move from the inside of the disc towards the outside.

- In case your disc is damaged:

o If the disc was already damaged when you purchased it, please contact the retailer to exchange this disc.

o If the game was published by Microsoft and you would like to order it again, we kindly ask you to go to http://support.xbox.com/en-ie/pages/xbox-360/troubleshoot/games/disc-replacement-program.aspx.

o If the game is a non-Microsoft Xbox 360 game disc and was damaged because of misuse (i.e. improper storage) the disc cannot be repaired or replaced.

- Please make sure the country and region settings of your Xbox 360 console and disc match. Information regarding these settings can be found under http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909819/.

- Turn off your console and restart it again.

- If possible, test your disc in another Xbox 360 console.

- Verify if the error message "Disc unreadable."appears when inserting a different disc.

- Please turn off your Xbox 360 console and remove all accessories for saving data (hard disc, memory units) and restart your console again. If the error message does not return, turn off your console and reconnect your hard disc (or memory unit). After turning on your console, delete all saved games where the error message appeared. If possible, save these games on a memory unit.

- You can find a detailed description of how to remove the hard disc from your Xbox 360 in your Xbox 360 manual or online at http://www.xbox.com/support/xbox360/manuals.html or http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906204/.

Further information regarding this error message can be found under http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909819/.

If you are still encountering this issue after following the troubleshooting steps, we kindly request that you contact us. Our contact details can be found at the web link on the bottom of this email.

Kind regards

Mark

Xbox Service and Support Team

I have to go through all that stuff and see if the problem still persists. Worse thing about is, I have emigrated to China so have no idea how they would exchange the xbox if it came to that..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Installed the new update, all is well, lets get drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Microsoft will only replace the console under exceptional circumstances, basically if you've recieved an email from microsoft stating that you're console is incompatible then you're laughing.

If you're getting an error when updating call in to Xbox, but if you've had your console repaired by a third party or modified it, then dont bother...

• Advertisement

I just did the update and i got 3 red rings !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

yay?

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    yay?

I dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

That shouldn't be the updates fault. Your xbox is just screwed. Give MS a ring and see if it's still under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Some of the issues (Like disc read problems) are caused by the update from October (or November) but this update sort of kickstarts those problems.
    Holy crap, mine broke just before Cristmas and its a 20GB that was a refurb or repaired(by microsoft) I think.

It wouldnt read Xbox games but read dvds and cds. Then me like a fool thought the 3yr warranty is definitely up so Im not paying to get it fixed, and opened it up and ripped the Microsoft shiny sticker off.
    Wrong. They EXTENDED the warranty for RROD, but once you're past the extended three year warranty, it's tough luck. No replacement outside warranty at all.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭AndywK

Holy crap, mine broke just before Cristmas and its a 20GB that was a refurb or repaired(by microsoft) I think.

It wouldnt read Xbox games but read dvds and cds. Then me like a fool thought the 3yr warranty is definitely up so Im not paying to get it fixed, and opened it up and ripped the Microsoft shiny sticker off.

Source?

If your console is effected by the DISC UNSUPPORTED message after the update then you are eligable for the console replacement, in warranty or out of.

If should have also got an email about it too, if you have questions if your console is eligable for the replacement then call Xbox Support. All you need is the console serial number and the X Code(Located in system info) and they can check.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Microsoft will only replace the console under exceptional circumstances, basically if you've recieved an email from microsoft stating that you're console is incompatible then you're laughing.

If you're getting an error when updating call in to Xbox, but if you've had your console repaired by a third party or modified it, then dont bother...

BIMONSCIFICON ;)

AndywK wrote: »
    If your console is effected by the DISC UNSUPPORTED message after the update then you are eligable for the console replacement, in warranty or out of.

If should have also got an email about it too, if you have questions if your console is eligable for the replacement then call Xbox Support. All you need is the console serial number and the X Code(Located in system info) and they can check.

but I ripped the Xbox warranty sticker off thats under the casing?

but I ripped the Xbox warranty sticker off thats under the casing?
    That doesn't seem to matter. Well it didn't for me. I got my xbox flashed so had to open it and rip the sticker but got 3 red rings and sent it away to MS. Got another one back 2 weeks later. No problems atall atall!

clonadlad wrote: »
    That doesn't seem to matter. Well it didn't for me. I got my xbox flashed so had to open it and rip the sticker but got 3 red rings and sent it away to MS. Got another one back 2 weeks later. No problems atall atall!

Reallllly? Wow, then my friend you are verrrrrrrrrrry lucky.

I would say, if its broke and the warranty sticker is off then what is the harm in trying. You won't lose anything, however I wouldn't keep my hopes up

• Advertisement

AndywK wrote: »
    Reallllly? Wow, then my friend you are verrrrrrrrrrry lucky.

I would say, if its broke and the warranty sticker is off then what is the harm in trying. You won't lose anything, however I wouldn't keep my hopes up
    I was absolutely delighted. Couldn't believe it really. I'd say once they see that an xbox is actually in the box they just stick a different one straight back in it without bothering their hole looking. Or else my chap got lazy!

Your chap was very lazy ha.

I have seen how the repair center works, I am really flabbergasted how you got away with it ha

That makes no sense, normally the repair center doesn't even look into why it happened: If the sticker is broken, tough break, you get it back unrepaired with a nice letter telling you to STOP VOIDING THE WARRANTY YOU ILLEGAL PERSON :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pablo-jericho

My 360 Slim has been freezing a lot since I got the update, multiple games, installed or not etc. Only had it 3 months! And I wouldn't mind but I only got it because I was sick of getting the red rings on the old model, wtf Microsoft :mad:

That makes no sense, normally the repair center doesn't even look into why it happened: If the sticker is broken, tough break, you get it back unrepaired with a nice letter telling you to STOP VOIDING THE WARRANTY YOU ILLEGAL PERSON :D
    It's not illegal to flash your drive but what you do with that will most probably be illegal.;) Well it wasn't fully ripped. Just looked kind of tampered with so maybe they could have overlooked it if it was a rush job.

It's not illegal to flash your drive but what you do with that will most probably be illegal.;) Well it wasn't fully ripped. Just looked kind of tampered with so maybe they could have overlooked it if it was a rush job.

That's it, they don't even see if it's flashed or whatever.

Sticker broken or damaged --> tampered ;)

My 360 Slim has been freezing a lot since I got the update, multiple games, installed or not etc. Only had it 3 months! And I wouldn't mind but I only got it because I was sick of getting the red rings on the old model, wtf Microsoft :mad:

Clear your system cache(System settings - Memory - Press Y)
    Then in memory on the screen where it displays your HDD, on your controller type in Lb,Rb,X,Lb,Rb,X. It will rollback the update and then re-connect to XBL and download the update again

Or go to support.xbox.com, look for 'Update' and download the update to a USB stick/CD-Rom/..., plug it in to the console and update like that.

Was yours still under warranty? Ive had my Xbox for over 3years

EDIT will ring tomorrow or the day after and update.

• Advertisement
Advertisement