Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pierced Primer?

Options
  • 18-05-2011 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

This cartridge jammed my gun yesterday evening, it's a side by side, did open after a bit of pressure.

As you can see from the photo the primer is pierced and raised, any ideas.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Two causes that i know of are:
    • Soft primer - This is when the primer is "soft" and allows the firing to strike through the primer.
    • Hard Strike - When the setting of the firing pin is too "deep" and allows the pin to go through the primer.
    What ever the reason STOP using the ammo until you have the gun and ammo checked. When the primer is pierced it can cause the "flash" from the primer, and in worse case scenarios, the pressure from the actual charge itself to blow back through the flash hole damaging the internal working of the gun and in worse case (again) cause catastrophic failure of the gun injuring or worse the shooter.

Is the ammo a new/different brand to what you normally use? Have you had simialr experiences with any other brand/make?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Ezridax wrote: »

Is the ammo a new/different brand to what you normally use? Have you had simialr experiences with any other brand/make?

Yes, I normally use Eley Grand Prix, this one is a Saga, they seem to have a softer primer, the Eley indentations when fired are normal and the Saga are all nearly pierced through.

The gun dates from 1936 and has been recently reproofed and overhauled, called the gunsmith and he reckoned it is striking too hard and should soften up a bit with more use, anyway I won't be firing any more Saga shells through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

A sweet 16 - very nice. What make and model?

+1 on Ez's advice. Ammo is pricey, especially for a sweet 16, however, your face and eyes are worth more.

Try a different brand of ammo, see if the same problem occurs.

Have you an auto? I would try the remaining shells in an auto - bet it would fire without a problem.

I always check primers before I place them in the firearm. It is a habit that I picked up long ago. With a bit of practice, you'll learn to load them in while simultaneously feeling how the primer was seated.

I have found a few that were questionable, but nothing dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

FISMA wrote: »
    A sweet 16 - very nice. What make and model?

+1 on Ez's advice. Ammo is pricey, especially for a sweet 16, however, your face and eyes are worth more.

Try a different brand of ammo, see if the same problem occurs.

Have you an auto? I would try the remaining shells in an auto - bet it would fire without a problem.

I always check primers before I place them in the firearm. It is a habit that I picked up long ago. With a bit of practice, you'll learn to load them in while simultaneously feeling how the primer was seated.

I have found a few that were questionable, but nothing dangerous.

It's a H. Clarke and Sons. built in Leicester, they were in business from 1832-1963.

As above the Eley shells cause no problem, don't have a SA in 16b so I will just stick with the Eley.

Advertisement