Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to insulate existing concrete floor

• 18-05-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

The car port at the side of my house was blocked up and converted into a hallway / utility room.
    It was done using only 9" cavity blockes and no insulation.
    I plan to use 80mm warmboard to insulate the walls and ceiling.

What is the best way to insulate the concrete floor?

I have to assume there was no DPM used here.

Any advice appreaciated,

Wavey.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Get a civil engineer to check the situation. There is more than the thermal cunductivity of the shell to be looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Valdes

If you think there is no dpm then you could do the following but it would raise the floor level by c. 100mm

Lay a sheet of thick guage builders plastic over all the floor and run it up the walls 250mm behind the warmboard. Then lay a 4x2@ framework over the floor (on edge) - similar to a stud wall type 14" centres and noggins to be extra safe. Then fill the gaps with insulation (use rigid insulation)

Finally you will then need to place a floor over this. Either use standard floorboard or else plywood if you intend to use a laminate floor in there.

Advertisement