Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish language in Fingal

Options
  • 18-05-2011 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm trying to teach myself Irish at the moment and I'm just wondering if there'e anywhere to practice my spoken Irish in Fingal. I'm thinking along the lines of a weekly Irish conversation group / class.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

waraf wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm trying to teach myself Irish at the moment and I'm just wondering if there'e anywhere to practice my spoken Irish in Fingal. I'm thinking along the lines of a weekly Irish conversation group / class.
    Thanks
    They used to run Irish Language groups once a week in the Bracken Court hotel in Balbriggan, but I don't have any further details.

I'd say that if you get in touch with a local Gaelscoil, they might have details because they usually know of classes for parents to brush up (or learn from scratch) the Teanga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Seamus Ennis centre in the Naul? I know they do trad sessions there among other things, so maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Hi there

There's a beginners conversation class in Balbriggan Library every Monday evening but it may be finished for the summer. If you ring them they will point you in the right direction. If you're intermediate or advanced there is a comhra on Wednesday evenings in The Central, also in Balbriggan. O'Dwyers also did conversation classes but again these may be finished for the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Thanks for the replies. I'll make some inquiries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hi all,
    Thanks

If you try Gael Scoil, Ros Eó which is in Rush they have in the past been very active trying to run classes and I know the parents used to have a coffee morning once a week where Irish was spoken

If you email Sinead NiGhuibhir who is the principle I am sure she could point you in right direction
    priomhoide@gaelscoilroseo.ie

Slán
    LeoB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Perfect, that's only up the road from me. Thanks LeoB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi all,
    Thanks

check out your local library for the ciorcal comhra. I know a group of young people meet up in Doyles beside Trinity every Thursday at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Perfect, that's only up the road from me. Thanks LeoB :)

No Problem. They are lovely people to deal with.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Many years ago when I moved to Balbriggan Trevor Sargent did lessons in The Bracken Court,and then people would head down to the bar for a few drinks after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

There is a Ciorcal Comhra in the Central in Balbriggan on monday at 8pm followed by a music session.

There is usually one on Friday night at 9pm in the Central as well.

The Gaelscoil in Balbriggan(Castlelands) runs Irish evening classes catering for all different levels. You could enquire from them.

Loads of opportunities out there if you seek them out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 vigilance

used to be a group meeting at the carnegie court hotel in swords, you could check with them.

Advertisement