Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Dublin... and in need of your help!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

If it's Grand Canal Dock your boyfriend is working in you really have the option of living on the DART railway line if you want. Sandymount is worth having a look at, might be a bit pricey though.
    mvt wrote: »
    A lot of apts in the Grand Canel dock area,not a bad place at all to live.

A lot of those apartments are pretty small. I reckon OP could get better value nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 triene

You are all great, thanks!
    Living alongside the DART-line would be handy, indeed. But Sandymount is a bit pricey, if I'd be sure of a job it could be an option, but I'm still sending CV's and hoping for at least one answer! :(
    Apartment hunt will start on Monday! I am prepared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

triene wrote: »
    You are all great, thanks!
    Living alongside the DART-line would be handy, indeed. But Sandymount is a bit pricey, if I'd be sure of a job it could be an option, but I'm still sending CV's and hoping for at least one answer! :(
    Apartment hunt will start at Monday! I am prepared!

You are going to find it difficult to get a job without an irish address I think. A face to face meeting with a recruitment consultant might help to give you some context on the job market you are entering for your industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

n900guy wrote: »
    IFSC is a ghost town at weekends or populated by the pyjama people.

As someone who has lived in the IFSC for over 4 years I call absolute bollox on that comment. While it is quieter at the weekends than it is during the week (why wouldn't it be? Its the financial district ffs) it is by no means a "ghost town" nor is it populated by "pyjama people".

OP, if your boyfriend is working in the Grand Canal area then you might do ok with the IFSC. Be warned though, the prices are still relatively high. Its a grand area though as it is literally less than 10 minutes walk to O'Connell Street so you have all the hustle and bustle of the city centre but the area itself is quiet so you can actually sleep! :)

I've moved to Dublin last Sunday, and in the meantime we are sort of living in hostels. I have seen 4 apartments, all verrry small; one in Rathmines, one in George St, one in Ballsbridge and one in the Grand Canal Dock area. Now I was wondering if the areas around Rialto or the Coombe - where rents are seemingly lower and apartments bigger - would be good places to live. I hope I find a place soon, hostel life is tiring. Who can help? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I've moved to Dublin last Sunday, and in the meantime we are sort of living in hostels. I have seen 4 apartments, all verrry small; one in Rathmines, one in George St, one in Ballsbridge and one in the Grand Canal Dock area. Now I was wondering if the areas around Rialto or the Coombe - where rents are seemingly lower and apartments bigger - would be good places to live. I hope I find a place soon, hostel life is tiring. Who can help? Thanks!
    I wouldnt particularly recommend either of those areas to be honest. They can be a bit rough from time to time.

In general, apartments here are much smaller and of lower quality than on the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 GaylaBells02

i suggest that you get a bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Both areas are rough enough OP, I wouldn't recommend them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Get Cracking

If you need help moving or transporting furniture at any stage,
    give me a call and Il help you out as best I can.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

Atleast go and have a LOOK at the places there, yes they are seen as typically 'bad' neighbourhoods, but I don't think it's fair to tar a whole place like that. Go see them with an open mind, in fairness they're probably no worse than Gardiner Street (where I'm presuming you're staying in the hostel now!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

For a few years I lived in Portobello, Ranelagh and Rathmines (in that order) and while Portobello is lovely (my favourite area in Dublin), I never really settled into either Rathmines/ Ranelagh. Yes, you have lots of bars and restaurants nearby and shops etc but to be honest, none of them really held any appeal for me.

I now live in Phibsboro (by the Mater hospital) and yes, it is a "dodgier" area than the above mentioned, but I love it here. There is a much better sense of community around my house than there ever was in Portobello, Ranelagh or Rathmines. As another poster said, you do see things you'd rather not have seen but once you keep your wits about you and are aware of what goes on in your surroundings, it's fine. And I'm a 5 minute walk to O Connell Street. My rent is almost €200 a month cheaper than it was in Rathmines too.

OP, you should find some places you like on daft.ie and go to the areas. Walk around for a bit. Find the bus stops, the local shop, the nearest supermarket. Think about how you would feel walking home at 7pm in the middle of winter (=dark). Personally, I would be thinking about somewhere in Dublin 7 if you're going to be based in the IFSC and on a bit of a budget (Stoneybatter, Phibsboro, Drumcondra, North Circular Road areas).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

n900guy wrote: »
    The major difference and problem in Dublin is that there is no reasonably safe and respectble city centre living area. The north and south city areas are primarily complete shi tholes that you don't want to walk around at night. Don't go near Gardner Street or anywhere near there. IFSC is a ghost town at weekends or populated by the pyjama people.

On the south side, the area from James's, Christchurch are unliveable compared to Brussels. Your only option in the actual city is probably aroudn Harcourt Green, or else Baggot Street and down towards Northumberland Road.

Basically, it's the donut effect. Your options for pleasant living in Dublin are basically: Ballsbridge, Ranelagh. They are the only areas with safe surrounds, and a good standard of services (public transport). Rathmines is a kip; well, that is IMO. If you are the sort of person who thinks Galway is great, then chances are you will like Rathmines. Ranelagh has the Luas so you can use the tram, and Ballsbridge has a fantastic bus service. If you aren't on one of the Air Coach routes, then getting to the airport gets very awkward in Dublin.
    OK, this worries me a bit. I consider myself to be a relatively tolerant type of person, I don't mind some liveliness, I don't feel scared easily and I've lived in a big city before. I'm very curious now about my perception of the atmosphere when I'll arrive at the end of May.
    Conclusion; Ranelagh is the place to be? Were it not for the very limited number of properties available on daft.ie...

I live in Dublin city centre and felt compelled to post as n900guy is talking total nonsense. He couldnt have got it more wrong. I have never ever felt unsafe and I live about as central as it gets (south inner city).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Where does your bf work OP? If you give us an idea, there are some great places on the north/southside with bus/dart and rail links into the city...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Where abouts in Rialto and the Coombe OP? They are not as bad as people make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

Rialto and the Coombe are not so bad at all-the local kids can be a bit annoying but only if you let them bother you.If you want trouble you'll find it quick enough but for the most part everyone justs gets along :). I'm living in Inchicore and am in both areas every day so would say they are definitely worth a look.
    Its close enough to Grand Canal dock,if your partner is able to cycle it will only take about 15 mins...and I've yet to meet a Belgian who couldn't handle a bike :)

That's right! We are good cyclists! :)
    We saw an apartment in Milltown yesterday, close to the Luas and only 10 minutes cycling away from my OH's working place. It was much more spacious than the other ones we saw for the same money. Any opinions on Milltown? I liked the calm of the area, and in a few minutes walk you're in Ranelagh, which seemed a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

Milltown is nice alright, but a bit quiet. What you need to bear in mind is that the nearest cheap supermarket (Tesco/Dunnes/Lidl/Aldi) is a bit of a trek in Rathmines or Dundrum, and that the nightbus/luas service in Dublin is non-existent bar at Xmas, so you would be looking at taxis/cycling home from town after 12.30am.

All that said, it's a 'good' area, and grand out for town if you're a cyclist.

Milltown is very nice.Quiet but still close to everything.
    If you are willing to use a bike everywhere in Dublin is handy :)
    Don't forget to check out the cycling forum on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Milltown is definitely a nice spot. Some may say it's quiet, but I actually like that it's close to Ralenagh, Donnybrook and Rathgar - and yet you'll get better quality accommodation at lower prices. And really the distances involved are pretty small. The only issue I'd echo is that while the Ranelagh end is nicer, you're further from the Luas stop, and may be more reliant on congested, unreliable Dublin Bus services for commuting.

Thanks for your opinions, I think I'll get me a bike soon.
    I do have another question though. We saw the contract today, and it said that "the tenant is responsible for the payment of the agreed rent for the entire agreed term". This means that if, for instance, we had to go back to Belgium for an emergency, we are entitled to pay the rent for the whole remaining lease term.
    Is this a standard obligation in contracts? I will try to negotiate it at the agency on Tuesday, but I'm afraid they will refuse.

• Advertisement

Yes,thats a standard clause,will be in all rental leases.
    Doubt if they would chase you to Belgium for it though. The cost of doing so would most likely be more than they could collect.
    Just be aware that we are all in the EU,god help us,and legal issues dont stop at the borders.

Check out the Dublin bike scheme,ten euro for a year and then the first half hour is free.Great way to have a look around the city.

Advertisement