Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argh got to replace yet another bed!

• 18-05-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

This will be the 6th bed in 3mnths of having the pups and its getting expensive now. Any material or padded bedding is being ripped to pieces:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Vetbed FTW!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

My dogs do that too.. vet recommended that we get one of those hard plastic beds, and use shredded newspaper for their bedding. That works for us, but need to change the newspaper regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yup, plastic bed is your best bet for pups, and if you find newspaper too messy or too much of a hassle to dispose of, use old towels or fleece blankets from the charity shops. When they're big enough to appreciate their lovely beds (and finished the chewing stage) then they can have all the fancy foam-based beds they want. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

A hard plastic bed (readily available in pet shops, and pretty cheap) with some blankets/towels/vet bed (the best stuff!) is handy, cheap and easy to clean until your little guy realises beds are for sleeping and not chewing! Def invest in some vet bed through (most large pet stores stock it) - it's so easy to care for and lasts forever (even if it is partially chewed!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

piperh wrote: »
    This will be the 6th bed in 3mnths of having the pups and its getting expensive now. Any material or padded bedding is being ripped to pieces:(

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/dog_blankets/vetbed/194383

vet bed... its prefect for chewers :D.... they wont get very far....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Thanks all i think we are going to have to down the plastic route cus the bank won't lend me another mortgage ;)
    We have a vet bed and they have the big cushion beds because i always think the vetbed looks to thin but the rate they're going through them is madness. They normally have 2 beds in the living room and 2 in the utility and tonight they're down to 2 beds in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

OP, I feel your pain. My baby rottie eat threw at least 3 - 4 beds in the first 6 months..

Got her a vetbed an havent luked back..
    best of luck finding one for yours..

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I don't understand how people say vetbed will survive chewing and theirs lasts for years!
    I have it about 2 mths and it is chewed and ripped to bits!! even after been nailed down :rolleyes:

I only use it for the outdoor kennel as her crate has pillows and blankets so do find it great for being waterproof but it is definitely chew-able!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

is definitely chew-able!!

Your right they are for sure still chew-able an destroyable. lol.. It was all vet beds my rottie went threw in the first few months, and they arnt that cheap either..

Its just a case of hoping and waiting it out untill they grow out of chewing when teething at a young age. Until then its a case of finding sumthing that works..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

get one of these
    P1010301.JPG?rand=1164064015

http://www.k9komforts.ie/featured/kurand-dog-bed.html

They just work and can be pressure washed. Ours have lasted two years despite many determined efforts by the hairy ones. The difference with thses beds is that there is no way for the doggies to get a grip on the material, they cannot bite through or get their claws through the material, all seams are underneath and there is slight tension across the bed - like a slack trampoline.

A medium is big enough for anything of GSD size or smaller, our GSD and our Irish setter used to curl up together on the medium and ignore the large bed! The medium is easier to tidy away as it fits nicely behind a door whereas the large is heavier due to the metal re-enforcing bars and just that little bit too big to ever be tidied away, our large now lives very happily on the deck (good for sprawling in the sun) whereas the medium is used for sleeping on indoors.

K9 Komforts are great, they delivered out to Bray - very easy to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

fenris wrote: »
    get one of these
    P1010301.JPG?rand=1164064015

http://www.k9komforts.ie/featured/kurand-dog-bed.html

They just work and can be pressure washed. Ours have lasted two years despite many determined efforts by the hairy ones. The difference with thses beds is that there is no way for the doggies to get a grip on the material, they cannot bite through or get their claws through the material, all seams are underneath and there is slight tension across the bed - like a slack trampoline.

A medium is big enough for anything of GSD size or smaller, our GSD and our Irish setter used to curl up together on the medium and ignore the large bed! The medium is easier to tidy away as it fits nicely behind a door whereas the large is heavier due to the metal re-enforcing bars and just that little bit too big to ever be tidied away, our large now lives very happily on the deck (good for sprawling in the sun) whereas the medium is used for sleeping on indoors.

K9 Komforts are great, they delivered out to Bray - very easy to deal with.

Ooh thank you i like the look of that it looks perfect.

Advertisement