Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How territorial are pike?

Options
  • 18-05-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Ive just moved to a new area and the 2 lakes nearby seem to have been fished to death in the main spots that are easy accessed.
    Im wondering what my chances might be if I battle through the woods and undergrowth to other spots that look like theyve had much less pressure? i.e. if pike arent territorial then it probably wont make that much of a difference but if they are it will

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Ive just moved to a new area and the 2 lakes nearby seem to have been fished to death in the main spots that are easy accessed.
    Im wondering what my chances might be if I battle through the woods and undergrowth to other spots that look like theyve had much less pressure? i.e. if pike arent territorial then it probably wont make that much of a difference but if they are it will

They're extremelly territorial- if you put something in their territory/water they'll attack it by biting it. (sorry, couldn't resist).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Some are more territorial than others.
    Sonic tag studies have shown that many pike migrate over big distances, but at the same time some pike set up residence in a locality, or territory and spend much of their life there.

I think you will find that if an area is not fished much, or pike are not killed much there, that the pike density will be significantly higher.
    The distance you walk from the car has always had a positive correlation with catches. It probably always will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

coolwings wrote: »
    Some are more territorial than others.
    Sonic tag studies have shown that many pike migrate over big distances, but at the same time some pike set up residence in a locality, or territory and spend much of their life there.

I think you will find that if an area is not fished much, or pike are not killed much there, that the pike density will be significantly higher.
    The distance you walk from the car has always had a positive correlation with catches. It probably always will.

cool well that gives me some reason to be hopefull.
    Yeah theres an even more positive correlation to the distance away you are from the nearest discarded dutch gold cans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

coolwings wrote: »

I think thats true for all fishing!!! :)

Advertisement