Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrical work prices

Options
  • 18-05-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys I am setting up a new business as an electrician and i was just wondering can anybody tell me prices that are charged for electrical work i.e extra socket, move/replace light fitting or light switch, wiring for a electric shower, wiring for a cooker/hob, house rewire etc. The amount i charge for nixers probably wouldn't keep a business going that is why i'm asking!!

Thanks in advance
    Mark :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

good luck with your new venture
    cant help with costs for you though
    others may be able to shed more light
    now you will be competing against the nixer merchants so you will have to work out your material costs plus labour costs plus transport plus insurance plus vat plus prsi plus accountancy plus association membership,plus,plus,plus
    its very competitive out there at the moment
    there are contractors doing work with very little profit margins just to get turnover
    again,best of luck

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

mobrien142 wrote: »
    Hi guys I am setting up a new business as an electrician

I wish you luck! Your are entering a very competitive market at a very difficult time.

It is impossible to give good advice on prices at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Well I agree that it is difficult to give anyone this type of advice these days.

I would say though that I work out my cost price, I guess that would be

(Knixers - knixer profit) + your business overhead + VAT = approx cost price.

I don't think too many people are getting costs per point these days, they are pricing the jobs as a whole by working out the time and materials and adding profit (if they are lucky)

Have you worked out your potential yearly overhead? do you know your break even cost for the year? as you know once you reach that you can price the work more competitively.

I would say though that a fixed per point list for extras is always good to have, price the whole job out but include a list of extra costs for additional items, that way you can avoid some financial arguments at the end of a job if you have stated your costs up front.

Sorry I can't offer figures, I honestly don't think that model works as well as it did in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i usually price the overall job time and materials +vat etc.-not points

and type up a spec list

anything not on the list is extra-within reason

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mobrien142

Thanks guys we think that fixed pricing is the way to go because there is no messing and people know exactly what they are paying and for what too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

On a side note, how much would a house rewire generally cost?
    for a standard 3 bed house.. with an updated fuse box with two 6sq cables (one for cooker, one for shower)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

depends on number of points ,furniture and surface/flush wiring ,patching etc

i'd try to use 10sq these days for instantaneous showers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

M cebee wrote: »
    depends on number of points ,furniture and surface/flush wiring ,patching etc

i'd try to use 10sq these days for instantaneous showers
    say 10 socket points downstairs and 4 lightswitches
    6 socketpoints upstairs, 3 lightswitches plus a 2 way switch for landing/hall
    Where possible all walls will be chased and no furniture in the way.
    Just a general price range nothing exact

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mobrien142

M cebee is right you nedd 10sq for an instant shower. Price would also depend on wether or not you want to replace or reuse sockets and light switches etc?? In general rewire prices start around the €3000 euro mark but you may get a better price than that depending on various things. Are you considering a rewire for yourself dotsey?

Advertisement